Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Real Service Experience -- Far From Superior (in fact, pretty poor)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car back today from the first Ranger service, which included alignment (my tires were worn beyond the metal cords at 5500mls), and to address various issues I reported. Tesla picked my car up and delivered a loaner on Tuesday July 23rd. If I hadn't had a loaner during this time, I would have been very unhappy -- but at least I had a loaner.

After the pickup -- which was fine -- I went over all the issues with the rep picking the car up, including showing him some curb rash (he marked it on the paperwork) that he said they could fix while the car was in service. Also several wind noise issues -- lots of noise come from the passenger side when all windows are closed and going over 65mph. Also I had noticed the loaner car was much quieter with the sunroof open, so I asked them to check that as well.

Well, after they received the car, I never heard one word from the Tesla Service Dept in Rockville. No status, no questions, no nothing, no phone calls, no emails (also no replying to emails). Not a peep. So all's good, I guess. Right?

Well they brought the car back today and here was the paperwork... compare to pics

ALIGNMENT - PERFORMED (ok)

DOOR HANDLE ISSUES -- No problems found (these were intermittent, so, ok fine)

XM RECEPTION POOR -- No troubles found (there are terrible troubles with XM reception when we drive west -- I get no reception driving from Richmond to Charlottesville on 64 Westbound. Not normal. All of our other cars pick up XM fine...). I explained this to them beforehand. My guess is they tested it in a wide open parking lot with perfect view of the XM signal...

CHECK LEFT FRONT WHEEL FOR DAMAGE -- NO DAMAGE FOUND. See the picture. My wife found it in 5 seconds. The guy picking the car up found and noted it. Why didnt service call and ask where the damage was. Why would I ask them to repair it if it wasn't damaged. So it's still damaged. Thanks, Tesla.

All Wind Noise issues say they couldn't find them. Again, how about a call. How about asking me before sending the car 3 hours back and saying no wind noise issues found?

FULL DETAIL -- Performed Full Detail. Oh. My. God. If this was a detail, whoever is detailing should be fired. The car came back absolutely filthy. Even some wax I hadn't wiped off some chrome on the front was still there (wiping with my finder took it right off) -- is a full detail a rinse?

I paid the $4800 extra for Ranger service for 8 years. The loaner was nice but the service experience felt more like Hyundai than a Luxury brand.

If they return a car filthy, don't claim it's been detailed. If it was detailed, don't bother next time.

I also would have liked them to have included the new alignment specs since they supposedly aligned the car. This was not included in the paperwork.

If they ask me what to fix (wind noise, curb rash), and they claim the can't find it, how about calling before sending the car back to me?

And relatively minor but annoying. I provided the car to Tesla with 230 miles of range, and get it back with under 150 miles of range. So instead of being able to drive it to RIchmond today like I planned, I had to plug it in and take a gas car. Tesla should charge the cars before returning them. If I dropped my ICE car off for service with a full tank and it was returned with 1/2 tank, I wouldn't bee all too happy...

I sure hope they improve things and these are growing pains. But on the service side so far I'm very unimpressed...

Attachments

• 20130801_121846_resized.jpg
    20130801_121846_resized.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 20130801_121823_resized.jpg
    20130801_121823_resized.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 967
  • 20130801_121729_resized.jpg
    20130801_121729_resized.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 958
  • 20130801_121545_resized.jpg
    20130801_121545_resized.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 978
Last edited:
I wish I were surprised, but we've heard similar stories repeatedly now. If Tesla fails, it'll be because folks won't be repeat buyers once there's any competition on the road from vendors that know how to execute service.

This will be a major caveat to me recommending people buy a Tesla. Especially being 3 hours from the nearest SC. I used to say with the Ranger service it's gonna be so cool, etc etc. Now I'll be saying you have to pay extra for this service, and get pretty shoddy service for paying it. That won't sell many cars by word of mouth.

Love the car, hope the service improves...

I wish I were surprised, but we've heard similar stories repeatedly now. If Tesla fails, it'll be because folks won't be repeat buyers once there's any competition on the road from vendors that know how to execute service.

I'm going local first. Apparently the Rockville Service Manager (just appointed as such) wants to fix this, and wants to make wholesale changes. I'm going to give him a chance before going back to Jerome. I'll update the thread.

I don't want to be a whiner -- but also don't want to be a Tesla fanboy. Things need to be fixed to keep people buying $100k+ cars, IMHO.

I think what really would make sense is to contact Jerome with your description of the issue. At Teslive he seemed very serious about providing a strong service experience...

I think what really would make sense is to contact Jerome with your description of the issue. At Teslive he seemed very serious about providing a strong service experience...

I agree. I had a poor service experience, and I contacted the Ownership Experience Team. My concerns were forwarded, I got calls of apology and plans expressed to right the concerns. New people were hired in addition to the Service Center Crew, and, lo !, a couple months later I had another service issue.

I approached the issue with trepidation, but it turns out they have really worked at fixing the problems. So far the difference is night and day.

Far better to tell Tesla. They really do want to have a first rate service experience. MOST of their people have only been working for them a few months, and some of them will be replaced if they don't come up to speed. In my case, the one who lacked certain expertise was supplemented by a guy brought over from another department specifically to address that lack.

Tesla does not need you to be a fanboy. You can find poor service at Honda, Lexus, or Chevy. It takes time to weed it out, and like it or not, we are the beta testers. My service center did not exist 6 months ago. But I am glad I gave feedback, which they took as positive and worked with.

CHECK LEFT FRONT WHEEL FOR DAMAGE -- NO DAMAGE FOUND. See the picture. My wife found it in 5 seconds. The guy picking the car up found and noted it. Why didnt service call and ask where the damage was. Why would I ask them to repair it if it wasn't damaged. So it's still damaged. Thanks, Tesla.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27269&stc=1&d=1375388010.jpg

I hate to tell you this, but that photo is of the RIGHT front wheel. For cars, it's always the driver's orientation - not viewing from the front.

Yes, they should have called. But this might explain why the damage went unnoticed.

I hate to tell you this, but that photo is of the RIGHT front wheel. For cars, it's always the driver's orientation - not viewing from the front.

Yes, they should have called. But this might explain why the damage went unnoticed.

I'm pretty sure that's not the damage to the wheel since you can't even really see the wheel in that picture. I believe he's just trying to show how dirty the car was after being "detailed" in that picture.

I'm not sure why they said they could fix rim rash as I don't think that is something the service centers do. Likely they figured they couldn't fix it but didn't get back to you. Glad the manager is in on this now.

Sorry for your experience Scott, I recently had a minor issue that i needed to look after, some BIG DUMB IDIOT went for his afternoon swim in a salt water pool with a certain FOB in his swim suit, If I ever catch that ROTTEN so and so I'm gonna, oH wait :redface:. Anyway i also had some sealant that would come off the Pano roof when I had it open on a hot day and my left rear suspension was 3/4 of an inch lower that the right. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the drivers ENORMOUS WEIGHT. I sent an email to my Tampa service center and when I arrived they had a brand new p-85 waiting for me to take and have lunch and explore Tampa. When we got back they had fixed all my issues and even some I did not know about. the left rear window regulator has given some issues in Texas and Florida where it is hot, ( not me ) but they changed out the offending part anyway. My car was just early enough that i had one of the wimpy right side floor mats that wanted to flop over, I cured this with velcro, Tesla replaced the mat on their own and even supplied a brand new rear mat even tho I had purchased a rear mat.I now have two. They also noticed that the rear cargo cover was separating a bit, I have the HD Tesla mat that covers all that up anyway but it was replaced also. I have to give Tesla 6 out of 5 stars for their proactive behavior and it is the reason I will only buy Tesla again. I'm sure your issues will be sorted out Scott, the second trip for service is always an inconvenience we don't need or appreciate. i think Tesla will take the thought that you have to fix things right the first time because pretty soon when everyone else finds out how great these cars are and eventually how great this company is promising to be, there won't be time for second attempts at anything.

The picture you quoted isn't the wheel damage...thats just wax on the lower body. The wheel damage was on the front left (drivers side) and is the closeup of the curb rash.

I asked them about it, they said they could have it done while the car was there. But then apparently dropped the ball.

If they had said up front that it's not something they can do -- no problem! But since they said they'd take care of it...

Or even if the paperwork had said -- "Noted curb rash -- unable to repair at service center" -- fine. But to say no damage found? They didn't look...

I'm not sure why they said they could fix rim rash as I don't think that is something the service centers do. Likely they figured they couldn't fix it but didn't get back to you. Glad the manager is in on this now.

[Obviously carrerascott's experience was sub-par and unacceptable... but I wanted to balance it with a positive experience, at least... you know, just in case any reporters are reading this thread.]

I had a terrific experience with the service center in Santa Monica last week. I gave them a "to do" list when scheduling the appointment on the phone a few weeks in advance (I was told I could bring it in sooner, if I wanted a regular rental car, or I could schedule it for a bit later if I wanted a performance loaner. Nothing was urgent, so I opted to wait). The loaner was delivered to me on Monday (even though I don't have ranger service), and an hour later my service rep called to confirm that my car arrived at the SC safely, and to talk through the work list. I was in regular communication throughout the week with her (I kept calling back to add things to the list). I picked up my car on Friday; it had been detailed and was fully charged, and my service rep spent about half an hour going through everything with me and making sure I was happy.

Service Centers can not repair curb rash and are now forbidden to send them to third parties for repair. They should have informed you about that change in policy.

They told me they could last week (even though they didnt) , and they're coming back tomorrow to get my car and have yet to tell me that they can't. So either they don't know about it, or the policy hadn't changed? Guess I'll find out soon.