Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Real Service Experience -- Far From Superior (in fact, pretty poor)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't even think to ask about curb rash fixing. I broke it, it is my responsibility to fix. If they break it, it is theirs.

I just had some warranty work done and I think they did a great job; they fixed a bunch of stuff on their todo list, called back when they couldn't figure out what I was talking about, drove the car back to me and set me up with a rental for the time they had the car (and I completely forgot about putting gas in the rental... oh well, I'll pay the $8 to the rental place).

Wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but I'm over 100 miles from the nearest service center. Close enough they could drive the car back but not so close that I can get a loaner.

They told me they could take care of it. I'd pay for it of course.

I'd probably ask them directly saying you heard they are not allowed to repair them by policy. Are they sure they can fix it and if so, how much does it cost. Did you call during the time they had the car to speak with the Service center?

When they said they could fix it did they say how much? Also, did they charge you for the detail that didn't go well? Tesla service doesn't do their own detailing as far as I know so if it was a true detail (and not just a wash) then they hired someone else to do it and you should let the service center know. I know an open transport isn't ideal but when the local dealership details your car, you still have to drive it home on the open road so it also won't be pristine when it hits your garage. Outside of having a mobile detailer come to your house even driving it a few miles will get some dirt on it.

Last edited:
Seems clear to me that this is a management issue. Also seems as though Tesla is aware of the problem because they recently appointed a new manager. The manager at my service center (Columbus) is superb and hence the service is superb. Hopefully the new guy will get this fixed.

dsm -- the point is the paperwork said the car was DETAILED. Why say that if it wasn't? If it came back dirty, fine. If they claim to have detailed it, then detail it. If it was run through a car wash, then say it was washed. A detail is a DETAIL. As for the curb rash, they said they'd have it done, and then they claimed they couldn't even find the rash? They didn't look. Or were too lazy to fill out the paperwork. If they can't/won't, fine. Say so!

Tesla just picked up my car again and dropped off a Pearl White P85 loaner. I showed the porter the XM reception issues (we duplicated it in 5 minutes what the service center "couldn't find"), duplicated the sunroof wind noise in 1 minute that the service center "couldn't find", and put blue tape on the wheel that they "found no damage" on.

They are definitely trying, and I appreciate it. I'm glad they have a new Service Mgr and they moved him up from within, so he's not starting from scratch.

20130802_092740_resized_1.jpg

I agree they didn't come through so glad they are taking care of it. A detail is a detail but the the word 'detail' can mean anything from a wash and minor work to a multi hour job where you pay someone a few hundred dollars for a show car finish. If they are doing free details with every service then that is a nice perk.

I agree they didn't come through so glad they are taking care of it. A detail is a detail but the the word 'detail' can mean anything from a wash and minor work to a multi hour job where you pay someone a few hundred dollars for a show car finish. If they are doing free details with every service then that is a nice perk.

No offense, but you saw the pictures of the car, right? I wouldn't call that a nice perk. The car was essentially covered in water spots and looked like crap. There's no way that was from open trailer transport. It looks like they just sprayed it with a garden hose and called it good. I wouldn't even take that "detail" for free.

FYI they are repairing my curb rash (in fact they are doing one of the wheels on their dime for the trouble). So apparently it's not a policy yet, or maybe mine is an exception because of the circumstances. Who knows. I do know they are very interested in making this right, which is good. I expect I'll get my car back early next week and hopefully will report back here that everything was completely different!

I'm sorry you had a poor first service experience, that sounds frustrating. Sounds like Tesla needs a better hand-off from ranger to service-center.

I had a Rockville ranger come down and fix my sunroof a few weeks ago and had a completely different experience. He arrived on-time and did a great job fixing my sunroof problem (broken windscreen).

-A

No offense, but you saw the pictures of the car, right? I wouldn't call that a nice perk. The car was essentially covered in water spots and looked like crap. There's no way that was from open trailer transport. It looks like they just sprayed it with a garden hose and called it good. I wouldn't even take that "detail" for free.

On my iPhone, yes. I didn't say the job they did on his car was good. Just that if they are doing true details with every service where you would normally pay someone $100-250 to do it where they did a nice job then that would be a good perk. Obviously someone simply washed the car, didn't dry it properly and called that a 'detail' when it was a bad car wash.

Not for much longer - they're opening a service center in Rocklin. Lease was just signed.

FYI they are repairing my curb rash (in fact they are doing one of the wheels on their dime for the trouble). So apparently it's not a policy yet, or maybe mine is an exception because of the circumstances. Who knows. I do know they are very interested in making this right, which is good. I expect I'll get my car back early next week and hopefully will report back here that everything was completely different!
Both nice bits of good news! Thanks for updates!

I'm sorry you had a poor first service experience, that sounds frustrating. Sounds like Tesla needs a better hand-off from ranger to service-center.

I had a Rockville ranger come down and fix my sunroof a few weeks ago and had a completely different experience. He arrived on-time and did a great job fixing my sunroof problem (broken windscreen).

-A

I had a ranger service in my garage fir minor stuff and it was very good. This one was where they took my car up to Rockville and obviously wasn't so good. They have the car now so will update, but seems they are doing things right this time.

And no I don't expect a free $250 detail with every service, but my xarcshoukfnt cone back dirtier than it was sent and then to claim it was detailed (whatever their definition).

Maybe the manager can talk with the person who promised you a detail to find out what they meant and to find out why your car came back so dirty. They shouldn't be delivering cars back that dirty of course and certainly shouldn't be saying they detail cars when that is not what they are even remotely doing. Glad they are working on it. Hope they get it right this time.