Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in our MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using the Tesla app to map out the first day of an upcoming road trip, it calculates the first stop (Henrietta, TX) at 166 miles using 49% battery.

Does this seem high in terms of battery usage? Car is completely stock and we'll be running with the wheel covers in place.

Little elevation change between home and our first charging stop in Henrietta.

Cheers from the Lone Star state, where we are still struggling to get EV adoption up to 2% of car registrations in any region of the state (Austin leads at 1.97%).

I did my part :)

Reactions: Abraham
Using the Tesla app to map out the first day of an upcoming road trip, it calculates the first stop (Henrietta, TX) at 166 miles using 49% battery.

Does this seem high in terms of battery usage? Car is completely stock and we'll be running with the wheel covers in place.

Cheers from the Lone Star state, where we are still struggling to get EV adoption up to 2% of car registrations in any region of the state (Austin leads at 1.97%).

That seems pretty high to me, but I am unfamiliar with that part of Texas. You may want to also try A Better Route Planner to see what it says.
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Upvote 0

If you leave with 100% (no need to by the way) you'll arrive with 59%. So if you leave with 90% you should end up with 49%. I'd say it's normal.
(Could you stop and check my rental property in Wichita Falls on the way through)?;)

Upvote 0
Cheers from the Lone Star state
...home of the highest speed limit in the entire United States. It does not surprise me that you are not going to match 1:1 with the rather conservative granny-like driving style of the EPA rating of those "rated miles". It wouldn't surprise me for high speed highway driving to consume 20% more rated miles than your real distance miles.

Upvote 0
Get ABRP and have it connect directly to your car and provide real time updates. It will track your average energy consumption and update everything as you go. You can tell it how much charge you need at your destination.

I will say Tesla has gotten better with their results but ABRP is still a step up OTHER than it can't provide you all the info that the Tesla energy app shows you. I use that to fine tune my drive a bit.

My MY LR was my least efficient in Texas. I typically got about 220 miles in the winter and about 250 in the summer if I were to a full charge. Absolutely no reason to start with more than a 90% charge if you will have to supercharge along the way. Any more I start with about 80-85% and can easily get to a decent SC along the way out of Dallas that matches up nicely with my route.

Supercharging from a lower initial recharge level is much faster. Try and keep between 20%-65% when supercharging. At about 70% the charging rate really starts to taper off. A lot of fast, quick, slight more frequent charges will save you time and wear and tear on your battery. The battery can take a higher rate of charge when it is as the lower charge levels. My wife calls them "quickie" charges.

• Funny
Reactions: Art84 and bruce4000
Upvote 0
ABRP
Get ABRP and have it connect directly to your car and provide real time updates. It will track your average energy consumption and update everything as you go. You can tell it how much charge you need at your destination.

I will say Tesla has gotten better with their results but ABRP is still a step up OTHER than it can't provide you all the info that the Tesla energy app shows you. I use that to fine tune my drive a bit.

My MY LR was my least efficient in Texas. I typically got about 220 miles in the winter and about 250 in the summer if I were to a full charge. Absolutely no reason to start with more than a 90% charge if you will have to supercharge along the way. Any more I start with about 80-85% and can easily get to a decent SC along the way out of Dallas that matches up nicely with my route.

Supercharging from a lower initial recharge level is much faster. Try and keep between 20%-65% when supercharging. At about 70% the charging rate really starts to taper off. A lot of fast, quick, slight more frequent charges will save you time and wear and tear on your battery. The battery can take a higher rate of charge when it is as the lower charge levels. My wife calls them "quickie" charges.
do we need to install this app in Tesla PC or do it in phone and link the Tesla account?

Upvote 0
Absolutely no reason to start with more than a 90% charge if you will have to supercharge along the way. Any more I start with about 80-85% and can easily get to a decent SC along the way out of Dallas that matches up nicely with my route.

This is a great point.

I usually start with 80% and eat lunch at my first Supercharger. It shares a parking lot with a great BBQ place.

I trip plan based on Superchargers and hop from one to the next. Charging to 95% or 100% doesn't usually buy you anything.

I just use the car navigation estimate and aim to have 20% on arrival at the next charger. If that actually turns out to be 14%, I'm happy.

Upvote 0
ABRP

do we need to install this app in Tesla PC or do it in phone and link the Tesla account?
Do it in the phone and link it to the account. Buy their subscription if you want, and you get more adjustability. You can factor in if you are towing, have more weight in the car, roof rack, etc. I use some of it but I subscribe because I want them to keep developing the app. It is awesome for trip planning.

You can access everything online from a computer once your account is setup, maybe even do the setup from there. I think the mobile app is more intuitive to run through stuff and I normally hate using mobile apps if there a PC/Mac equivalent.

Reactions: tampaboyt
Upvote 0
Use the ABRP app. It works great for pre-planning and if you have your Tesla account connected to the app, it does great updating its charging suggestions throughout your trip. It has given some very create charging solutions on my trips in the past.

Upvote 0