Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Service Experience plus compare/contrast with brand new loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
I found these sorts of threads very useful and informative when I was window shopping, agonizing over options, and finally pulling the trigger, so I thought I'd take the time to write up my first service experience.

I just hit 20,000 (!) miles on my Dec '16 S60, so I decided to schedule an "annual" service. I also had a small list of minor issues I have been accumulating since December, and needed a new set of tires, so the time was right.

I'm in Central California, ~2.5 hours away from the nearest service center (Monterey/Seaside, CA). The overall experience at this SC is fantastic, particularly for those of us out of town. I booked an appointment for a week out and they informed me that they would send a service tech to my house to pick up my car, leave me with a loaner, and return my car 2 days later. No charge.

The service tech arrived exactly when he said he would, reviewed the list of issues with me, and left me a brand new June '17 S75D with 300 miles on it (150 of which were accumulated driving to my house). They called me that evening to let me know the car arrived at the SC fine, everything was in order, and they would start working on the car in the morning.

Annual service was performed, no issues, no problems. They verified a couple of my minor concerns (squeaky folding mirrors, burnt out LED in the "eyebrow" of one of the headlights, and fixed them without question. On a slightly more serious issue, my liftgate was rubbing against the top of the bumper on one side and had scratched away some of the paint. They adjusted the liftgate to keep the issue from getting worse and offered to repaint/replace the whole bumper no questions asked. I told them that wasn't necessary, I was satisfied so long as the problem wouldn't get worse (the scratched area is not visible at all unless the liftgate is opened). In response, they comped the $475 annual service without me even asking.

All said and done, I couldn't be more pleased. The experience so far has been top notch from beginning to end.

I also got a ~150 mile test drive on a new 75D, so I thought I'd offer some feedback on things I noticed.

"D" vs "no D": The extra regen is definitely noticeable in the D cars. Apparently they're a little faster vs. the RWD 60/75 but my butt-dyno couldn't detect a significant difference. Motor whine is much more noticeable (but not unpleasant or distracting).

General Build Quality: I saw no significant difference in build quality between my end-of-quarter-deliver-cars-at-all-costs Dec '16 build and the June '17 car. Mostly things were fairly buttoned up - some misaligned door trim (this one blows my mind because it's so easy to notice and so easy to fix). Some paint imperfections under bright light. But generally, I didn't suffer the build issues that some people on here have complained about and I saw no perceptible difference between the new car and mine.

Next-Gen vs. Premium seats: For my money and body the Premium seats are a substantial improvement. They just fit me better all around (6' 5" 215 pounds). I fought with the Next-Gens for quite a while and have finally ended up with a position that works for me, but it took a long time. The premium seats are a bit softer, it will be interesting to see how they hold up over time, but for my money, out of the box, I wish my car had the Premium seats.

Glass Roof Wind Noise: I actually asked the SC to investigate some wind noise in my very early build all-glass roof, because it seemed a little louder to me than I would like. They said everything seemed fine and it was actually one of the quieter cars they had driven. After a day in the loaner, I have to agree. The wind noise in the loaner was much more pronounced than my own car. So this one seems to be more hit or miss vs. any steady improvement as time goes on.

UHFS vs. no UHFS: I went back and forth for weeks on whether or not the UHFS system was "worth it" or just another way to take $2,500 from a fool. In the end I went for it. After a day in the loaner without it, I think I undoubtedly made the right choice. The subwoofer in the UHFS system makes all the difference in the world. I have no doubt there are aftermarket solutions that could probably achieve better results for less than $2500, but for my time and money, this was a must-have and I'm very glad I checked the box.

Silky-smooth vs. not-so-silky AP2: Results seem to be all over the map on this one, but for me, on my roads that I drive every day, 17.24.28 on the loaner was a huge improvement over 17.17.17. Freeway corners that my car regularly struggles with, hacking at the wheel to complete the turn, were indeed "silky smooth" on the new firmware. I'm very impressed. One drawback, the speed limit database seems to have changed drastically. Posted 55 mph local roads where I used to be able to engage AP at 60 now have no speed limit detected at all, so the max setting is 45, which makes the functionality worthless. If the static database is going to be this lacking/inaccurate, AP2 needs to be able to read speed limit signs, stat.

Anyway. Hope this helps someone. If not, sorry you read all that. Major kudos to the Monterey/Seaside SC. Keep it up and I'm a customer for life.