TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First Tesla With New HRE P101s!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by JohnEV, Sep 12, 2013.

1. JohnEV

JohnEV Member

I just got new HRE P101s (21") put on my MS! This is a new wheel from HRE (101 in mono block). They've only shipped a few sets of this wheel for any car (they just came out) and mine is the first Tesla. However (and I found this interesting), Tesla Motors ordered a set apparently for test purposes.

These wheels save 50 POUNDS off the car's weight. They are very light and I'm sure will increase range.

hre1.jpg

hre2.jpg

2. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Very Hot! How much? Are the rears the same 245/35 or can you get 275's? BTW your calipers are now screaming, "paint me red"!

3. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

Beautiful! I recently ran across these on the HRE website and am very happy to see them on a Model S. Could you share where you bought them and also their exact specs (size, hub diameter, offset, staggered?, weight per wheel)?

4. jongt3

jongt3 Member

Looks great, nice choice.

5. JohnEV

JohnEV Member

The set (without tires) was $9600. The fronts are 245/35s and the rears are 285/30s.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually bought them directly from HRE and visited their factory here in San Diego.

They are 21" x 9" and +25mm offset and 21" x 10" and +40mm offset. I don't recall the actual weight per wheel but I believe it was 22 or 23lbs and the OEM 21" wheels I had were 36lbs, I believe.

6. johnmodels

johnmodels Member

Look great! At about $11,000 for the wheels and tires, I think that is a bit or a big bit too much for many people. I paid $1,800 for the wheels and tires setup (staggered) for my can and was happy with that price. Of course I dont have the weight savings. Beautiful wheels!

7. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

Looks great! Love the black on black look.

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

They look great!
    nice weight savings as well, I wonder how much more efficient the car will be after losing so much weight.

9. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

It doesn't make much of a difference wrt efficiency. I have 19" wheels that are 19.8lbs each.

Nice set of 21's! I don't think I could ever spend that on a set of wheels though. :)

10. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

There is a car here in Toronto with them too.
    Sorry for the blurry iPhone pic, this was at a car show last night.

Attached Files:

11. Dr.Ling

Dr.Ling Member

Clearly not the same wheels, but something P40SC'ish :)
    Thanks for any pics with aftermarket wheels, though...

12. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

That sounds about right for HREs in that size. For changing up the look of the car, that's where the value might kick in. BUT for range extension purposes, there comes a point of diminishing returns and the ROI may take much longer than to achieve than compared to the time most would keep the car.

13. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

Nice wheels!

Reducing unsprung weight of more than 12lb per corner will make a significant improvement in handling too, I imagine.

- Matt

14. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Looks pretty sweet!

For me, my light wheels made stop&go wh/mi #s worse. Record your #'s and let us know.

15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Stunning!
    And thanks for posting the wheel specs.

16. killer_model_s

@JohnEV now that some time has passed... can you speak a little to how performance improved, whether you've gotten more range etc.?

17. LittoDevil

LittoDevil Member

I have been eyeing two designs and this is one of them, it's so awesome to see it on a Model S! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Taking off 1 pound of weight off of something that rotates is approx the same as taking 2 pounds of static weight off the car.. so if your saving 40-50 pounds overall on the rims + tires combined itself.. that's like taking 80-100 pounds off the car!

Is yours a P85 that came with the staggered factory rims? Just curious if the width that you ordered on the HRE is the same or wider than the factory wheels.. and/or if it's a different offset to make it more "flush" with the fenders.

Cheers!
    Larry

18. sbroker

sbroker Member

I'm a newbie here in every sense - new to the forum and a new Model S owner so I'm really glad to have found this thread.

I thought I had my heart set on the HRE's P40SC after seeing it on Tesla Model S Aftermarket Wheels - Teslarati.com , but now having seen yours I may have a change of heart. Your HRE's look amazing!

Now if I can only justify spending another $10k having already spent a grip load on the car :)