Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time Driving Model Y, Nervous About Regen Braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I’m going to get my MY delivered this week and now that it’s so near, I just realized I have to get used to regenerative braking. I’m actually pretty nervous as this will be my first time ever driving a model Y. I had test driven a model 3 but it was about a month or two back and I don’t think I fully got used to the regen braking from that test drive.

Are there any first time tips? Any way to get used to it a bit faster? I’m driving home from the showroom in what most likely will be rush hour traffic so I’m a bit nervous.

You will get used to regen braking soon after getting your new Model Y. Just remember that if you want to slow down to slowly lift up your foot from the accelerator (you will get the hang of how much to lift off and when). If you completely remove your foot from the accelerator, the car will slow down faster (enough to feel like pressing on the brake pedal). Also remember that the car automatically turns on the brake lights when you slow down with regen, so you shouldn't worry about being rear ended.

Here's some more info on regen that you might be interested to know. The amount of regen can vary by the ambient temperature and will be reduced or completely gone when it is cold. Some people didn't like any variability in the feel of regen, and wanted a way to make it consistent. Tesla recently updated their software with an option that you can turn on (your new car might come with the option on) to keep the feel of regen consistent by automatically applying the physical brakes if it is colder outside and you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal. Here's the section in the Owner's Manual that talks about Regen Braking Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

I doubt if you will have any problems. The car essentially teaches you how to drive it. I found it much easier to drive than a regular car. Read the manual which you can find online. It will help you set up a few things before you drive such as seat and mirror positions and your personal settings profile. Enjoy!

Reactions: GoHawks29
Under the Tesla Model Y Vehicle Controls - Pedals and Driving see the following settings:

Driving Mode: Normal and Chill. Drive in Chill mode for the first few times until you are more familiar with driving the Tesla Model Y. (In Chill mode the Tesla Model Y drives similar to a 4 cylinder vehicle; Normal mode (Sport mode in the Performance Model Y) is like driving a V8 powered vehicle.

Stopping: Hold, Creep and Roll (these settings only apply at speeds under 4 MPH.) Hold mode is for one pedal driving (takes getting used to to stop precisely where you want to stop the Tesla Model Y.) Creep mode (I recommend Creep mode when first get used to driving the Tesla Model Y) is most like driving a conventional vehicle with an automatic transmission. Roll will free roll under 4 MPH similar to a vehicle equipped with a manual transmission when you shift into Neutral or depress the clutch pedal.

Braking: Blended Friction Braking. When you turn this setting on the Tesla Model Y will slow at the same rate when you lift your foot from the accelerator regardless of the battery state of charge or temperature. The blending of the friction brakes with regenerative braking is seamless.

You will get used to regen braking soon after getting your new Model Y. Just remember that if you want to slow down to slowly lift up your foot from the accelerator (you will get the hang of how much to lift off and when). If you completely remove your foot from the accelerator, the car will slow down faster (enough to feel like pressing on the brake pedal). Also remember that the car automatically turns on the brake lights when you slow down with regen, so you shouldn't worry about being rear ended.

Here's some more info on regen that you might be interested to know. The amount of regen can vary by the ambient temperature and will be reduced or completely gone when it is cold. Some people didn't like any variability in the feel of regen, and wanted a way to make it consistent. Tesla recently updated their software with an option that you can turn on (your new car might come with the option on) to keep the feel of regen consistent by automatically applying the physical brakes if it is colder outside and you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal. Here's the section in the Owner's Manual that talks about Regen Braking Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
Use cruise control whenever possible

The Regen braking is something you adjust to very quickly
I doubt if you will have any problems. The car essentially teaches you how to drive it. I found it much easier to drive than a regular car. Read the manual which you can find online. It will help you set up a few things before you drive such as seat and mirror positions and your personal settings profile. Enjoy!
Under the Tesla Model Y Vehicle Controls - Pedals and Driving see the following settings:

Driving Mode: Normal and Chill. Drive in Chill mode for the first few times until you are more familiar with driving the Tesla Model Y. (In Chill mode the Tesla Model Y drives similar to a 4 cylinder vehicle; Normal mode (Sport mode in the Performance Model Y) is like driving a V8 powered vehicle.

Stopping: Hold, Creep and Roll (these settings only apply at speeds under 4 MPH.) Hold mode is for one pedal driving (takes getting used to to stop precisely where you want to stop the Tesla Model Y.) Creep mode (I recommend Creep mode when first get used to driving the Tesla Model Y) is most like driving a conventional vehicle with an automatic transmission. Roll will free roll under 4 MPH similar to a vehicle equipped with a manual transmission when you shift into Neutral or depress the clutch pedal.

Braking: Blended Friction Braking. When you turn this setting on the Tesla Model Y will slow at the same rate when you lift your foot from the accelerator regardless of the battery state of charge or temperature. The blending of the friction brakes with regenerative braking is seamless.
Thanks all for the reassuring words and pointers/tips. I’ve watched a few videos online about it and it looks pretty straightforward actually. I guess it’s something I’ll just have to get a feel for. Maybe do a couple laps around the parking lot first before I get onto the road! We’ll see how it goes

Reactions: android04
There is also a setting for regenerative braking mode/level. I can't remember what it is called offhand, I'm guessing it's also under Pedals & Steering. I believe the options are "Normal" and "Low." Low makes the car behave like a normal ICE car's engine braking. If one of your early drives is going to be in dense traffic or some other situation where you are worried about it, you could switch to this.

I'll do this when I let newbies drive my car - there is so much to get used to that is different that it helps to make one less thing different. Most people have been ready for me to switch to full regen within a couple minutes. After that they just mutter occasionally for the next few minutes about it feeling different.

It's generally not a big deal, just mildly uncomfortable briefly. It would probably only ever be an issue for someone who is driving a Tesla with zero knowledge, no warning, and no experienced Tesla driver with them.

There is also a setting for regenerative braking mode/level. I can't remember what it is called offhand, I'm guessing it's also under Pedals & Steering. I believe the options are "Normal" and "Low." Low makes the car behave like a normal ICE car's engine braking. If one of your early drives is going to be in dense traffic or some other situation where you are worried about it, you could switch to this.

I'll do this when I let newbies drive my car - there is so much to get used to that is different that it helps to make one less thing different. Most people have been ready for me to switch to full regen within a couple minutes. After that they just mutter occasionally for the next few minutes about it feeling different.

It's generally not a big deal, just mildly uncomfortable briefly. It would probably only ever be an issue for someone who is driving a Tesla with zero knowledge, no warning, and no experienced Tesla driver with them.
Tesla removed the option to set the Tesla Model Y to Low Regenerative braking in late 2020. The only the Normal regenerative braking setting is available on newer Tesla Model Y vehicles. You can purchase aftermarket S3XY smart buttons from Abstract Ocean for most Tesla Model Y vehicles that can be used to set different driving parameters including setting regenerative braking to Low.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Don't even think about it as regen braking. Consider it as regulating speed, acceleration, and slowing with the pressure on the pedal. It's all a matter of getting used to being smooth in operating the pedal. You should not have to lift your foot off the accelerator and apply brakes unless you need to slow faster. Note that there is a new setting to allow one pedal driving to transparently use the brakes as a substitute when regen not available due to a full battery for example. You won't even notice the brakes being used as the program matches regen very smoothly.

It doesn't take much practice if you just think "smooth".

Hey everyone,

I’m going to get my MY delivered this week and now that it’s so near, I just realized I have to get used to regenerative braking. I’m actually pretty nervous as this will be my first time ever driving a model Y. I had test driven a model 3 but it was about a month or two back and I don’t think I fully got used to the regen braking from that test drive.

Are there any first time tips? Any way to get used to it a bit faster? I’m driving home from the showroom in what most likely will be rush hour traffic so I’m a bit nervous.
Regen is very smooth and has been for quite a while. I recommend setting Drive Mode (not remembering what the parameter is called) to Hold. As for one pedal driving, take a tour of the parking lot before hitting the road. Regen is very good as you ease off the accelerator right down to stopped. Try taking your foot right off the accelerator in the parking lot and you’ll see why you want ease off