TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First Time I've seen a Volta Charging Station

Discussion in 'North America' started by gnxs, Aug 31, 2015.

1. gnxs

gnxs Member

I was surprised when I went to the Mall the other day where my local Tesla Store is and saw 2 charging spots on the 1st floor of the parking garage that were by a company called "Volta". Apparently they are always free and these 2 spots supposedly offer 40A service through a J1772 connector. I didn't have time to stop and try them as I was leaving the mall, but I will test them next time. Very well advertised as each spot had its own accompanying lighted billboard of sorts.

Apparently all the Volta spots are free. Looks like a really nice option if you are going to the mall (or wherever else they put these) and just need to top off your charge.

Anybody familiar with these stations? How was your expereince?

2. stevej119

stevej119 Member

It's a great business model. The advertising you saw pays for the electricity to charge your car. Volta builds the charging stations, sells advertising to pay for the electricity and cover their costs, and you get to charge your EV for free. Everyone wins!

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

4. stevej119

stevej119 Member

5. JPP

JPP Active Member

Just had my first opportunity to charge at a Volta EV charging pedestal at a local strip mall in Walnut Creek.

Works for me--nice to see further expansion of EVSE especially without the need for a ChargePoint, Sema or Blink card/account.

6. Maaz

Maaz Member

VoLta chargers are great, and I think they should be the standard and future of public electric chargers.

7. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

It looks like the installation in Ahwatukee Az to me. I used to use it before Casa Grande Supercharger came on line for trips from Tucson to Phoenix and back. It's very near the I-10 and Ray Rd just south of Phoenix

8. David99

David99 Active Member

There are many around Los Angeles. Their idea is to have large displays to show ads which then finances the chargers. Not sure it works, but I hope for them and us it will. Never seen one that did more than 30 Amp, though. When i didn't have a home charger for a few months those stations saved my life!

9. Mike Strauss

Mike Strauss Member

Woah cool! I haven't seen any in my area but this is good!