Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First winter drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we got snowed on today in Ontario, Canada. In my area we had 7 inches of snow. Let me say that I’m really impressed with my TM3 SR+ with Nokian Hakkapillita R3’s.

It was planted and confidence inspiring to say the least. I drove from Guelph to Elora and back with no issues. I even tried to get it to fish tail but only succeeded when I really gunned it around a corner.

B30A6D05-1C78-4918-AEF9-22DE893F674A.jpeg

75C80C8E-B1D3-4415-88AE-35576C2372D3.jpeg

OT: How does that garage flooring hold up in our climate? Any issues with moisture being trapped in/under the tiles and causing mold or anything?

This will be my third year with the SwissTrax flooring. It’s like race deck tiles.

I’ve had zero issues. I clean underneath it in the spring to get all the “gunk” out. No mold issues.

it’s the absolute best in the winter as the snow and ice melts and drains away. It’s got special channels underneath for drainage.

Some have said that the switch to only full regen makes the car unstable when taking the foot of the accelerator. Have you noticed that at all? Notice any squirrelliness when regen kicks in?
I drive every winter with full Regen on and in the normal drive mode (not Chill). It's been fine. I prefer having full Regen as I have more control over the deceleration.

So, we got snowed on today in Ontario, Canada. In my area we had 7 inches of snow. Let me say that I’m really impressed with my TM3 SR+ with Nokian Hakkapillita R3’s.

It was planted and confidence inspiring to say the least. I drove from Guelph to Elora and back with no issues. I even tried to get it to fish tail but only succeeded when I really gunned it around a corner.

View attachment 610943
View attachment 610944
Why do I expect it to shake the snow off like a dog would?

• Love
Reactions: Fadiawesome
The added weight from the battery packs make every Tesla pretty much a beast in the snow. Coupled with AWD and winter tires, you can pretty much drive through anything if you're cautious.

We had 15-20 bad snows last year and I kept the all seasons on and had zero issues on snow/ice. The only downside of winter driving is the range loss from the heat inefficiency. If it weren't for that, I would love driving mine in the winter. Instead I'm paranoid to take extended trips due to the "what if" worry of getting stranded on the side of the road in a snow storm with no heat.

Reactions: hcdavis3
This will be my third year with the SwissTrax flooring. It’s like race deck tiles.

I’ve had zero issues. I clean underneath it in the spring to get all the “gunk” out. No mold issues.

it’s the absolute best in the winter as the snow and ice melts and drains away. It’s got special channels underneath for drainage.

Hey there, which SwissTrax tile did you go for? Looks spot-on. I hate how my normally spotless and well-organized garage looks through winter, even with a sealed floor. Also hate popping to get something from the car in my shoe-less feet and forgetting about the run-off.

Got a good covering of snow in Waterloo, I'd say 20cm on my street. I live on a hill (about 4% grade). I had to take 5 or 6 runs to get up it yesterday. The back wheels keeps slipping and the car kept trying to spin towards the curb.

Other years I've gotten stuck and had to park at the neighbour's house at the bottom.

I found that the tires would detect slipping and stop right away. I had to turn on slip start in order to even make the car move.
Didn't have an issue getting up the hill with an AWD CX5.

I have the Tesla winter tire package. Does anybody else have issues with these tires? Anything recommendations for something that works better on snow?

• Informative
Reactions: Fadiawesome
Some have said that the switch to only full regen makes the car unstable when taking the foot of the accelerator. Have you noticed that at all? Notice any squirrelliness when regen kicks in?
In my opinion, Model 3 regen has an excellent ESP or electronic stability control. I'm using full regen all winter. Byt the way - Hakkapeliitta R3 has been tested to be the best winter wheel without studs in Finland this year. Great choice!

Reactions: Saturday
Got a good covering of snow in Waterloo, I'd say 20cm on my street. I live on a hill (about 4% grade). I had to take 5 or 6 runs to get up it yesterday. The back wheels keeps slipping and the car kept trying to spin towards the curb.

Other years I've gotten stuck and had to park at the neighbour's house at the bottom.

I found that the tires would detect slipping and stop right away. I had to turn on slip start in order to even make the car move.
Didn't have an issue getting up the hill with an AWD CX5.

I have the Tesla winter tire package. Does anybody else have issues with these tires? Anything recommendations for something that works better on snow?
Take a video. Seems like it should do better than that. You may have to consider swapping the tires with better snow grip, like the Hakka R3.

I even tried to get it to fish tail but only succeeded when I really gunned it around a corner.

I run the same Hakka R3 tires on a Performance.

On the snow in a roundabout at granny speed, or on any sort of mild incline, I can breathe on the throttle and get the rear to step out. If I "gunned" it -- which im not trying on the road -- i expect the car to kill all power, or be facing backwards.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC