Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this is just an anecdote, but… I’m an avid wintersports enthusiast and put thousands of miles a year driving winter roads in the Washington Cascades every year (always with snow tires, never with chains). Prior to Tesla, I had a Torsen Audi Quattro for nearly 15 years. The AWD Model 3 is almost as sure-footed in the snow as the Audi. With snow tires, you can own the road in all snow conditions. Slip Start is effective at breaking out of really deep snow on ruts & slush. I’ve only needed it once.

Off-topic, I’ve used Dunlop Wintersport, Bridgestone Blizzak, and (currently) Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3. All good.
Have been curious if the way the vehicle is configured, does the mostly flat underside tend to "high center" and ramp due to large surface area of fresh snow, lifting the vehicle decreasing traction in anyone's experience when the right depth and consistency of the snow gets around ride height?

Wondering if the high weight and typical tire width / contact patch combined with the flat surface underneath makes the vehicle less capable to deal with snow than is typical?

Have a 335xi AWD that tends to suffer from this phenomena noticeably limiting its ability in fresh snow, and curious if the M3/MY might suffer from a similar issue, as I think the qualities that make the BMW struggle in fresh snow, might be exacerbated in the teslas?

Very specific snow related question, but have not found any guidance on that from as many threads and user feedback as I have read about the topic.

Have been curious if the way the vehicle is configured, does the mostly flat underside tend to "high center" and ramp due to large surface area of fresh snow, lifting the vehicle decreasing traction in anyone's experience when the right depth and consistency of the snow gets around ride height?
FWIW, not that I’ve noticed. I’ve done a fair amount of deep snow driving (plowing in the front, and snow angels when opening the doors), and never been high centered. I did have to use Slip Start once to rally out of a hole.

I drove mine on Eibachs last winter, however pretty much only on roads. I used to driva an Audi A4 Allroad with mechanical quattro and TFSI engine - well I was happy/surprised to find this one a much better winter car. Far superior traction and stability control, even with the exact same Nokian R3 tires.

As fro ride height, I never actually tried to compete with actual snowplows so I don't know how it works in a foot of fresh snow - but its surprisingly capable for everything else. Six inches was certainly no problem. And the cabin heats up so fast it almost feels like cheating :)

Then of course there's track mode and enpty parking lots 😍

I drove mine on Eibachs last winter, however pretty much only on roads. I used to driva an Audi A4 Allroad with mechanical quattro and TFSI engine - well I was happy/surprised to find this one a much better winter car. Far superior traction and stability control, even with the exact same Nokian R3 tires.

As fro ride height, I never actually tried to compete with actual snowplows so I don't know how it works in a foot of fresh snow - but its surprisingly capable for everything else. Six inches was certainly no problem. And the cabin heats up so fast it almost feels like cheating :)

Then of course there's track mode and enpty parking lots 😍
this is great to hear! did you find yourself scaping / bottoming out often in the snow? were you ever worried or concerned for the battery?

ill mostly be doing road / highway driving in the snow, never trail / off-roading.

thanks!

Nope. Depends on where you live and so on - but I never had any concerns about bottoming out. Have had the car on a lift a couple of times and the battery case is flawless. The bottom of the battery actually sits a good bit higher ip than the bottom of the sills, and the sills seem pretty darn rigid.

I do however think you should go straight to coilovers because you'll be kinking yourself half a year down the road 😇

Reactions: StarscreaM3
Thinking about putting Eibach lowering springs on my Tesla M3LR to reduce some of the wheel gap, however, I live in Canada (Ontario) and we often get quite a bit a snow in the winter.

Has anyone experienced driving a lowered Tesla in snow? Is it manageable? Will the car lose range more quickly (battery closer to the floor, colder)?

The car has the upgraded 19” sport wheels, and will also have winter tires on of course.

Thanks in advance!

I avoid snow at all costs (living in northeast). I’m lowered, but that’s never factored into trying to avoid it - just not worth the risk. I know Canada the snow is far less avoidable so maybe do coils? That way you can be low in warmer months and raise in the colder months. It’s also a better setup overall, just pricier than springs.

Reactions: StarscreaM3