Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fish Camp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
What’s the traffic like on the way to Fish Camp from Fresno? Planning a trip starting from Fresno, going up to FIsh Camp for the Yosemite Mountain & Sugar Pine Railroad (which I haven’t ridden for like 40 years, when I was a kid), touch-and-go visit to the Supercharger, and then back to Fresno. Not actually going into the park itself. I’m wondering if there’s any congestion on CA-41?

Bruce.

What’s the traffic like on the way to Fish Camp from Fresno? Planning a trip starting from Fresno, going up to FIsh Camp for the Yosemite Mountain & Sugar Pine Railroad (which I haven’t ridden for like 40 years, when I was a kid), touch-and-go visit to the Supercharger, and then back to Fresno. Not actually going into the park itself. I’m wondering if there’s any congestion on CA-41?

CA-41 is the way I go every time I visit Yosemite. It's usually a nice drive without too much traffic. You might get a slow vehicle in front of you for a bit, but there are turnout and passing lanes that you can use to eventually get around them. I also recommend staying in the cabins at Tenaya Lodge. They have some interesting hiking and biking trails and are close to the Mariposa Grove within the park.

Reactions: bmah
I was in Oakhurst today. It’s normal high season busy, lots of cars on the road, leisurely pace heading up the hill. But it’s a pleasant enough drive if you’re taking your time. No gridlock or stop and go or anything like that, at least not until you get to the park gate and have to wait in the admission line.

As for the railroad - be aware that this area was burned badly in 2017 by the aptly named Railroad fire. I have not been on the train since that time, but the forest here is very much in recovery mode right now - you might want to set realistic expectations about the sights and scenery.

Reactions: bmah
I was in Oakhurst today. It’s normal high season busy, lots of cars on the road, leisurely pace heading up the hill. But it’s a pleasant enough drive if you’re taking your time. No gridlock or stop and go or anything like that, at least not until you get to the park gate and have to wait in the admission line.

As for the railroad - be aware that this area was burned badly in 2017 by the aptly named Railroad fire. I have not been on the train since that time, but the forest here is very much in recovery mode right now - you might want to set realistic expectations about the sights and scenery.

Thanks to both you and @Doug Martoccia for the info.

That’s a good point about the state of the forest. We’ll keep that in mind. (Although I guess one thing about not having ridden the railroad for so long is that my recollections aren’t particularly romanticized, more like just hazy.)

Bruce.

Bruce, as of Sunday, June 2 at 1445, CalTrans indicates that there is one-way controlled traffic on SR 41 from two miles south of the Yosemite National Park Boundary at Big Sandy Camp Road through Friday, June 7 at 1800. That might be just south of the turn off to Tenaya.

I would suggest keeping a look out with CalTrans' road conditions as well as the CHP incidents (Cal Trans Quick App) to check on what is happening on SR41.

Generally, traffic flows smoothly during weekdays until Friday noon when it picks up. But there will always be some screwball who does something stupid and creates a problem for the rest of us.

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks to both you and @Doug Martoccia for the info.

That’s a good point about the state of the forest. We’ll keep that in mind. (Although I guess one thing about not having ridden the railroad for so long is that my recollections aren’t particularly romanticized, more like just hazy.)

Bruce.

You can always go up to Fort Bragg or Willits and ride the Skunk train. Nice experience and they still stop to pickup and drop off people at cabins in the redwoods.