Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So let me see, I can pay $110k for a Teslat Roadster that goes 0-60 in 3.9s and has a range of 220 miles or I can pay $96k for a Fisker to go "60 mph in 7.9 seconds and ... about 50 miles"? I haven't been following Fisker at all so I hadn't seen this before. I think I'll stick with Tesla...

(side note: i actually want as many of these EV, hybrids, you name it out on the market so I wish them well but for my money Tesla beats Fisker any day of the week).

Looking at the comparison page at http://fiskerkarmaretail.com they are comparing the Karma to the following.

BMW ActiveHybrid 750i
Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid
Porsche Panamera S
Audi A8 4.2 TDI SE Exec. LWB

I see that they have compared based on gas milage but it is a bit interesting how ALL those cars have a LOT more interier room. Why do they compare with the LWB version of the A8 ? Shouldn't the A7 be a much better comparison or the MB CLS ?

Cobos

I see that they have compared based on gas milage but it is a bit interesting how ALL those cars have a LOT more interier room. Why do they compare with the LWB version of the A8 ? Shouldn't the A7 be a much better comparison or the MB CLS ?

Cobos

I have to agree 100% with you on this. The Karma has an incredibly small interior. I'm going to state emphatically that TIGHT is an understatement. I will bet everything that is has a smaller interior than a chevy volt.

Now if they take over the defunct auto dealership (formerly Ford/Volvo) down the street at El Camino everything will be close by. (The current Menlo Park facility was supposedly a somewhat short lease in the first place).

Looks like Fisker is making that space into a showroom.
A Fisker/McLaren dealership right down the street from Tesla HQ...

See:
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=18175
http://media1.communitymediacenter.net/qtmedia/Media/PaloAlto/2010/09/PAARB_091610_c_300k.mp4
(Interesting commentary about Fisker requirement to have solar panels, and city's mention of LED lighting.)

Last edited:
Told you so?

so it would seem that you and I seem to always be correct when it comes to Fisker.... great minds think alike :biggrin:

I do hope Fisker gets their stuff together and puts out their product. They are actually close enough at this point where I do think deliveries will happen this year. Not a massive amount of deliveries, but enough deliveries that Fisker and the media can say the Karma was launched

I think they'll be able to ship cars. Valmet is quite capable I'm sure. Something about Quantum doesn't inspire confidence, though. I'm doubting they'll be able to meet their performance specs. (Supposedly at the press drive event an engineer admitted they weren't yet able to get the claimed 403 hp). Efficiency looks like it will be quite poor as well.

Still, I think there's a market for this car. The looks have grown on me, the reviews are mostly positive, and they've got about a year on the Model S (assuming schedules don't slip yet again).

Yeah, I doubt it will hit its targets either, esp efficiency (the EPA sticker will tell all). Performance wise, even if it doesn't hit its paper targets, so far most reviews still say subjectively it handles and performs well. I think the looks will sell the car the most, the PHEV part of it is just a bonus (and the buyers obviously don't care about the cramped interior and cargo space).

Yeah, I doubt it will hit its targets either, esp efficiency (the EPA sticker will tell all). Performance wise, even if it doesn't hit its paper targets, so far most reviews still say subjectively it handles and performs well. I think the looks will sell the car the most, the PHEV part of it is just a bonus (and the buyers obviously don't care about the cramped interior and cargo space).

So it really appears like the Karma is a not-so-efficient hybrid performance vehicle without much interior or cargo space. One has to wonder why the government loaned more money to Fisker than was loaned to Tesla despite the fact that the Roadster had proved well in advance that Tesla is capable of producing an efficient EV. I do think the Karma is extremely beautiful and I'm sure there is a market for it, but it's a shame that it doesn't seem like it will end up saving much energy. It's really too bad they can't just take the engine out of the car and replace it with extra batteries the same weight or less than the engine. They'd have a real EV then.... Maybe somebody can do an aftermarket conversion :)