Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet that is difficult because the ICE has to send exhaust somewhere.
The Volt chose the same tunnel design too. Probably not just a coincident. However, unlike the Volt, which really needs to route the exhaust pipe to the back and thus can't have a floor battery architecture, the Fisker has its exhaust exit on the side, so there should be more room there.

I think the decision has more to do with the Fisker being so low slung. A floor battery would probably make the car taller than it is styled to be.

Doesn't the battery tunnel compromise useable interior space though?

See for yourself...

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01348710c870970c-800wi.png

You guys are killing me with your all-or-none view of life. If you were Mr. Baskin & Mr. Robbins and decided that everyone had to have vanilla ice cream, then you never would have made it! Give the people what they want, what they think they want, what they want and should not have, what they don't want but should want & keep figuring out new ways to put it until you come up with 31 different flavors of ice cream! When you get them all out there, market your flavor in the best way that you can and let's see what shakes out to be the winner. It's the same way in life; you need to see other people's point of view and get out of the echo chamber!
I'm not opposed to plug-in hybrids. If you can only own one car they make sense for a lot of people and can be a stepping stone to owning an EV. The problem I have w/ the Fisker is their complete and utter LYING by marketing it as an EV. It's a HYBRID. PERIOD. They're just confusing the marketplace with their deceptive advertising. If they were honest about what the car is I would cheer them but as it is they have earned my derision.

The problem I have w/ the Fisker is their complete and utter LYING by marketing it as an EV. It's a HYBRID. PERIOD. They're just confusing the marketplace with their deceptive advertising. If they were honest about what the car is I would cheer them but as it is they have earned my derision.

Couldn't have said it better, strider. You nailed the point!

I suspect that Fisker customers know what kind of car they're getting, functionally anyhow (regardless of EV/PHEV labels). However, I've always been a bit curious/concerned about the drivetrain.

During the Volt development, GM publicly spent a lot of time on NVH engineering, while privately they gave the car a parallel mode to help with efficiency. Of course the efficiency turned out to be not as good as promised by the marketing department, and the parallel mode pissed off some folks. Though, it's still a nice piece of engineering, and by all the accounts that I've seen, the transition from EV to CS mode is quite smooth.

I've said before that I doubt Fisker (or the misnamed Quantum Technologies) have the resources to make a drivetrain as refined as the Volt. Early drive reviews of the Karma seem to confirm that suspicion.

Bang on strider!...if all ICE vehicle drivers drove hybrids, the world would be better off from an emissions perspective...and as a current & former hybrid owner, I support that...but don't call any vehicle that is not a true EV an EV...that's repugnant!

I'm not opposed to plug-in hybrids. If you can only own one car they make sense for a lot of people and can be a stepping stone to owning an EV. The problem I have w/ the Fisker is their complete and utter LYING by marketing it as an EV. It's a HYBRID. PERIOD. They're just confusing the marketplace with their deceptive advertising. If they were honest about what the car is I would cheer them but as it is they have earned my derision.

Bang on strider!...if all ICE vehicle drivers drove hybrids, the world would be better off from an emissions perspective...and as a current & former hybrid owner, I support that...but don't call any vehicle that is not a true EV an EV...that's repugnant!

I think that fundamentally the problem with the Karma is that it needs the gas engine to increase the performance of the car, not just for charging the battery. Worst case, you could reasonably say that the Karma is and ICE vehicle which has electric motors added to it in order to improve performance. At least with the Volt, the engine is almost always just there to generate more electricity, but not to make the car perform like it's supposed to.