Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah in Finnish news story, the reason for temporary layoff in Valmet Automotive is "bad sale figures" of Fisker and not A123 delivery issues.
Fisker's original sales projections for 2012 was 15,000 cars world wide. In a web conference on Wednesday (posted below) Henrik said they've sold less than 2000 total. A discrepancy like that has a detrimental effect on those involved. A123's bankruptcy is due on part to low Karma sales. Too many eggs in one basket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than the Roadster total?
Well, yes, but it's only been about a year. The Roadster was production limited for a while but I think did only about 500 a year and there are still "new" Roadsters available for sale in Europe. A car like the Karma should have a larger market than the Roadster, but it's starting to look like everyone that wanted and could afford a Karma has got one. The string of fires, bad reviews, and bad press can't have helped.

Well, yes, but it's only been about a year. The Roadster was production limited for a while but I think did only about 500 a year and there are still "new" Roadsters available for sale in Europe. A car like the Karma should have a larger market than the Roadster, but it's starting to look like everyone that wanted and could afford a Karma has got one. The string of fires, bad reviews, and bad press can't have helped.

I do remember one expert saying they would never sell more than 2000 Roadster's a year. Can't remember what Tesla's sales goals were.

Fisker's original sales projections for 2012 was 15,000 cars world wide. In a web conference on Wednesday (posted below) Henrik said they've sold less than 2000 total. A discrepancy like that has a detrimental effect on those involved. A123's bankruptcy is due on part to low Karma sales. Too many eggs in one basket.

If rumors are true, "Assembly Stalled" news is bit old, because Valmet A. has not made any Karmas since May!

Although it's hard to believe that 300 Karmas have been waiting Sandy that many months at New Jersey Port. And what... it takes like a half of month to ship over North Atlantic? Also why would they pay idle workers? (Mercedes Benz A-class production start next spring). Or maybe "lomautukset"* have started bit earlier and, thanks to the official press release, we heard it now...

*Finnish temporary layoff where you are still in company list but don't get paychecks and can be call back to work without extra paperwork. But Nanny State to rescue- you can get unemployment benefit for that time. (translation to tea baggers: Crazy Commie Limbo which oddly is beneficial to big companies and not necessary so to fellow comrades).

Last edited:
Lot of Fisker customers are much happier now that they have the new fans and latest software update (500 series). Once AONE (BK) is finalized, you will see the more money in the new Nanophosphate EXT program. If they get these batteries in the Atlantic, you'll have once heck of a car. It will either be JCI or Wanxiang.

Not really other than some bloger (I’m not going to link there) I know to have/had worked at Fisker production line and have been laid off since April and other internet comments in Finnish news sites. So only rumors, if this is not place for them, that above-mentioned post/message can be removed…

Not really other than some bloger (I’m not going to link there) I know to have/had worked at Fisker production line and have been laid off since April and other internet comments in Finnish news sites. So only rumors, if this is not place for them, that above-mentioned post/message can be removed…
This is the place assuming rumors are labeled and treated as such. I'm interested tweeze out whatever info especially since Fisker has been putting out mixed messages wrt Karma supply/demand. Helps to have someone local to help out. :)

I would say they had Model S level ambitions for the Karma, but their sales were only slightly better than Roadster levels. They're not quite like the other companies who didn't even get off the ground.

I'd say those ambitions are more focused on the Atlantic than the Karma, but I'm wondering whether there's even a market for it. The Karma didn't really have to be practical at $110k and the low volumes it was being produced at, but if Fisker ever wants to get into the mainstream luxury/premium market the Atlantic needs to be functional and useful rather than just looking pretty or driving well.

I finally saw a Fisker in the wild yesterday. It was nicer looking than the pictures, but I wasn't blown away by any means, my boss, a Model S reservation holder, was like "What's a Fisker?" when I stopped the car to show him. I then had to explain that it was an extremely expensive, nice looking, poorly engineered ego trip from the guy Tesla originally hired to design the Model S ...

I would say they had Model S level ambitions for the Karma, but their sales were only slightly better than Roadster levels. They're not quite like the other companies who didn't even get off the ground.
This. Fisker has certainly accomplished more than the little guys that never managed to get product in customer hands. Their sales goals were similar to Tesla's Model S sales goals, but that appears to have been rather optimistic.

I am curious how many Karmas were produced and when. If they had Valmet geared up to produce 15K vehicles annually, but only sold 2K, it's quite possible they stopped building new cars back in May.