Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Karma returned under a state's Lemon Law

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2012/9/29/Lemon-Law-Lawyer-Takes-On-Fisker-over-Karma-Fires-7710946/

Article title talks about fires, but the real reason was that the car was in the shop for repairs for 120 days and Wisconsin's Lemon Law kicks in after 30 days. Fisker was willing to refund money and settle out of court, but wanted the owner to stay quiet about it.

The lawyer involved seems pretty sleazy to me in the accompanying video, sensationalizing things, for what that's worth.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2012/9/29/Lemon-Law-Lawyer-Takes-On-Fisker-over-Karma-Fires-7710946/

Article title talks about fires, but the real reason was that the car was in the shop for repairs for 120 days and Wisconsin's Lemon Law kicks in after 30 days. Fisker was willing to refund money and settle out of court, but wanted the owner to stay quiet about it.

The lawyer involved seems pretty sleazy to me in the accompanying video, sensationalizing things, for what that's worth.
At least someone's concerned about the celebrities. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soon AONE will be offer a swap/buyback program with Fisker and others on their current batteries. I hear the new Nano EXT will get over 200+ miles per charge. I'm guessing we are a year or so away from that happening. The Wanxiang transaction should be complete in a few weeks.

It is very nice and interesting but I would like to have some official confirmations of this from Fisker.

Last edited:
Hints of an SUV

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=2acdf540-b60d-485a-90f1-5cff67627eb3
“The plan is to have a range of vehicles which caters to different types of people,” he said. “This drivetrain is actually perfect, I think, pretty much for any type of vehicle.”

Among those plans, in addition to a sub-$40,000 model, could be a plug-in hybrid SUV with all-wheel drive. “When we do an SUV, I can assure you we will surprise everybody,” he said.

Henrik Fisker said:
The electric car with range extender is a lot more difficult to make than a pure electric car, which is why most people jump to the pure electric first.
Was that supposed to be a dig?

If you were building both completely from scratch, his statement is definitely true. If you were building both from off the shelf components, it's less absolute but still likely true. If you're building the PHEV with off the shelf components while you're designing and manufacturing your own motor, power electronics, and battery pack for your the EV, then I don't think his statement is true any more.

I'll make a similar point about the pure serial hybrid (though they don't use the word hybrid any more) drivetrain that Fisker touts as a selling point.
The PHEV with a sometimes parallel mode (like in the Volt) is a lot more difficult to make and is typically more efficient than a pure serial hybrid car, which is why most people jump to the pure serial hybrid first.

A lot of peole have made overly complicated things of the centries. Harder does not equal better

The electric car with range extender is a lot more difficult to make than a pure electric car, which is why most people jump to the pure electric first.

Here are some two in one devices.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/crazy.html

[SIZE=+1]Mouse device with a built-in printer[/SIZE]

United States Patent 6650315

Abstract:

A mouse device for use as an input device of a computer is provided that includes a housing in which recording paper is loadable, and a printer unit provided within the housing for printing on the recording paper print information received from the computer. The printer unit includes a paper loading section in which the recording paper is loaded, a platen roller for feeding the recording paper loaded in the loading section, a print head for printing on the recording paper fed by the platen roller, and a discharge port through which the recording paper is discharged after printing by the platen roller out of the housing while taking a substantially vertical attitude.

[SIZE=+1]Smoker's hat[/SIZE]

United States Patent 4858627
"A hat with an air intake, which filters and then expels the air. Looks pretty much like wearing the exhaust hood for a stove on your head."

Abstract:

A portable hat system enables the smoking of tobacco type products without affecting the environment includes a hat for covering the head of the smoker, an integral fan for intaking ambient air (contaminated and non contaminated) into the hat with this intake ambient air flowing in front of the smoker's face, a filtration, purification and deionization system for removal of combustion products, such as smoke odors and positive ions from the intake ambient air, and an exhaust system for expelling the filtered deodorized, deionized and optionally scented air from the hat.

[SIZE=+1]Pillow with retractable umbrella[/SIZE]

United States Patent 6711769
"A pillow, with a built-in umbrella to protect the user from the sun."
Abstract:

A pillow with a retractable umbrella, comprising a pillow assembly with first and second ends. The first and second ends have a channel extending therebetween. Fixedly secured onto the first end of the pillow assembly is a supporting assembly with third and fourth ends. The supporting assembly has a cavity between the third and fourth ends to store items within, and has a removable end-cap to access the cavity. Extending from the supporting assembly is an umbrella assembly. The umbrella assembly lying within the channel in a stored position. The instant invention having rotating and swivel means for positioning the umbrella assembly while in an erect position. The invention may be stored in a case for easy carrying and in an open position, allows a user to lay his/her head on the pillow while covering their face from sunlight.

[SIZE=+1]Halloween mask with flash device[/SIZE]

United States Patent 6035447

"This guy took a Halloween mask, strapped a light on it and called it a new invention"

Abstract:

A Halloween mask with flash device, which not only can increase the attractive effect and the sense of reality for the mask but also can enhance the safety of the wearer by calling the attention and awareness of the vehicle drivers near the wearer, includes a hollow mask body and at least a flash device. The hollow mask body, which is made of resilient material, is punctured with a plurality of apertures at predetermined positions. The flash device includes a base housing having an upper chamber and a lower cavity, a flashing unit being received in the upper chamber, a predetermined number of button cell being received in the lower cavity and electrically connected with the flashing unit, a cell cover head detachably connected to a bottom end of the base housing so as to cover the lower cavity and the button cell therein, and a lens member affixed on top of the base housing so as to cover the upper chamber and the flashing unit therein. A neck portion is defined on the base housing between the lens member and the cell cover head, so that the flash device can be mounted on the mask body by positioning the neck portion at the corresponding aperture on the mask body while the lens member and the cell cover head respectively propping against an exterior surface and an interior surface of the mask body so as to hold the flash device in position.

Wow thats pretty sleazy of Fisker wanting the owner to stay quiet. They know very well there is something wrong with their product. I think every Fisker owner that bought it in a lemon law state should return it before it blows up.

Wow thats pretty sleazy of Fisker wanting the owner to stay quiet. They know very well there is something wrong with their product. I think every Fisker owner that bought it in a lemon law state should return it before it blows up.

I don't think the lemon law applies to "my car might catch fire". I believe fisker issued or plans to issue a recall to fix what they believe led to the fire(s). That's the right thing to do. We also have to remember that many karma owners actually like their car and turning it in to make some vague statement to fisker would bother them more than the company.