Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Karma motor and diff pics

from here: Underneath and inside the Karma

2012-02-02124715.jpg

2012-02-02124654.jpg

2012-02-02124701.jpg

Motors5.jpg

Motors4.jpg

IMHO these motors were made for trucks, which Quantum designed the power train for (military trucks). I look at both the roadster and Model S motors and they are tiny in comparison (to even one of the Karma's motors). I want to see what Fisker's next drivetrain looks like when they add in a much smaller BMW ICE and drop Quantum, hopefully more compact.

On the Consumer Reports Karma break down, that's not good especially when it's a production model (paid for by consumer reports). That's a PR black eye that might not go away for a long time, and once CR has bad experience with a Car, they tend to be tougher with the other cars from the manufacturer.

Unfortunate. The trouble is "die" is such a vague term. It could be something as trivial and fixable as a component in a circuit board, a software glitch, etc. to the failure of something very expensive and difficult to fix.

Yeah, but if someone Googles it and that comes up- I'm sure some people would Google "Fisker reliability" when purchasing a 100 K car. To me that would be a question for the reliability of the car and would I be comfortable using it as a daily driver.
Regardless of software, hardware, easily fixed or not, it failed in less than 200 miles. They let a car into the wild that was defective in some manner which made it non-driveable and the fact they the did not make many of those compounds the issue . That's a mortal sin for a car manufacturer.

Would I use it as a daily driver? The answer to that question in my case would me no

We have to remember this isn't unique to CR either... Other owners have reported similar (although not so soon after ownership). Maybe so much press on this particular occurrence will force them to move faster with fixes though.

IMHO these motors were made for trucks, which Quantum designed the power train for (military trucks). I look at both the roadster and Model S motors and they are tiny in comparison (to even one of the Karma's motors). I want to see what Fisker's next drivetrain looks like when they add in a much smaller BMW ICE and drop Quantum, hopefully more compact.

I believe the Quantum design used UQM motors. Fisker replaced them with these Chinese motors from Jing-Jin Electric.

ouch, someone at work has a Karma and his is in the shop too. He's got a blog on which he mentions how its been in the shop more than its been with him.

I've never been bullish on Fisker. I think their design is great, but thats about it. It'll probably fail.

Well Consumer Reports got their car back within two days and with a brand new battery. I'm not sure this is the level of service every customer gets based on what I've read on FiskerBuzz. It would have been better if they didn't go public about the breakdown till after they completed their tests. It's like admitting to a restaurant that you're the food critic. Then again, Fisker might have gotten a hint when they came to tow the car from the Consumer Reports test track.

It's back: Our Fisker Karma returns from the dealership with a new battery pack
The dealer’s repair invoice says the problem was “duplicated repeatedly.” A “fault was found in the battery and inverter cable. Both were replaced as a unit.” In other words, we now have a brand-new lithium-ion drive battery pack provided under warranty, though likely costing as much as a small, fuel-efficient car. Throughout the process, the dealer’s service department kept us up to date on the progress. And they were courteous enough to wash the car and charge it up before shipping the luxury sedan back to us.