Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit and finish issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my Red Dual Motor with black interior last Saturday. Part of the drop delivery program. Was notified by text after the car was left in the street in front of my house. Car rides beautifully and is very quiet. The additional seals on the doors seem to be working. Tested my wife's 2020 Bolt on a road stretch at 65 mph and measured 82 dB. Did the same with the Y and measured 70 db. After being done playing with it, I inspected the car more closely and found these issues:
  1. Rear liftgate does not close equally on both side. There is a 1/4 gap between the bottom left corner of the liftgate at the junction with the taillight and body. I believe this is a common issue as I have seen this on video releases from other owners.
  2. The hinges on the liftgate were damaged during the installation. There are deep gouges in them and the metal below the paint is exposed.
  3. The body taillights halves are misfitted and are not flush (1/4" gap) with the liftgates halves.
  4. The B pillar on the driver side is not fitted properly and the edges are not covered by the rubber seals (sides or top).
  5. There were several black finger prints on the liner. These mostly came off with windex and a cloth rag.
  6. The car had white lint on the seats and the dash.
  7. The grey plastic pillars covers were dirty and lighlty scuffed. Easily cleaned.
Sent pictures to service and I received an appointment for Monday at the delivery center in Fremont. Will see how they correct these.

The heat sink heater is working incredibly well. It has been cool in the South Bay last week. Forties at night. The heat is plentiful and on par with a gas engine. Range seemed to be minimally affected by having the heat on.

Sadly, while the Y is a superior car to the Bolt (space, handling, efficiency, heater, and range), Tesla has still a thing or two to learn on how to assemble and paint a car. The 2020 Bolt paint, fit and finish, is much better.

P.S. While driving to Oakland on Saturday I was disappointed to see that my Y did not recognize the Fremont factory. A heart or mothership notation on the map would have been nice. Instead only a supercharger icon indicated its presence.

Attachments

• 20200327_101343.jpg
    20200327_101343.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 20200327_101420.jpg
    20200327_101420.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 206
Received my Red Dual Motor with black interior last Saturday. Part of the drop delivery program. Was notified by text after the car was left in the street in front of my house. Car rides beautifully and is very quiet. The additional seals on the doors seem to be working. Tested my wife's 2020 Bolt on a road stretch at 65 mph and measured 82 dB. Did the same with the Y and measured 70 db. After being done playing with it, I inspected the car more closely and found these issues:
  1. Rear liftgate does not close equally on both side. There is a 1/4 gap between the bottom left corner of the liftgate at the junction with the taillight and body. I believe this is a common issue as I have seen this on video releases from other owners.
  2. The hinges on the liftgate were damaged during the installation. There are deep gouges in them and the metal below the paint is exposed.
  3. The body taillights halves are misfitted and are not flush (1/4" gap) with the liftgates halves.
  4. The B pillar on the driver side is not fitted properly and the edges are not covered by the rubber seals (sides or top).
  5. There were several black finger prints on the liner. These mostly came off with windex and a cloth rag.
  6. The car had white lint on the seats and the dash.
  7. The grey plastic pillars covers were dirty and lighlty scuffed. Easily cleaned.
Sent pictures to service and I received an appointment for Monday at the delivery center in Fremont. Will see how they correct these.

The heat sink heater is working incredibly well. It has been cool in the South Bay last week. Forties at night. The heat is plentiful and on par with a gas engine. Range seemed to be minimally affected by having the heat on.

Sadly, while the Y is a superior car to the Bolt (space, handling, efficiency, heater, and range), Tesla has still a thing or two to learn on how to assemble and paint a car. The 2020 Bolt paint, fit and finish, is much better.

P.S. While driving to Oakland on Saturday I was disappointed to see that my Y did not recognize the Fremont factory. A heart or mothership notation on the map would have been nice. Instead only a supercharger icon indicated its presence.

I feel you bro - got mine yest with a curbed rim, rear trunk not latching when closing, taillight gap, dome light is off rear passenger, etc. taking it in this Wed to get it all fixed - whack that cheaper cars like Honda’s, Toyota’s, or Hyundai’s have no issues like this.....

It’s like Tesla keeps their service dept busy just by having everybody book to fix post-delivery of their vehicles lolll

You'd think they'd have learned from the Model 3 mistakes over the past few years so they wouldn't be repeated on the Y.

Apparently they are more focused on volume versus quality control. Combined with the dysfunctional service department and you've got problems. Same old Tesla...

Reactions: Scott7 and Eclectic
I see it as growing pains. Yes I would think that they would have made more progress on this front by now, but they will get it. Of course buying one of the first Ys (2,340 I believe is the production number) is always risky. Most engineers would never buy a first year production car. Let's see how the Fremont Delivery Hub handles the corrections today.

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: Eclectic and TigaFF
I see it as growing pains. Yes I would think that they would have made more progress on this front by now, but they will get it. Of course buying one of the first Ys (2,340 I believe is the production number) is always risky. Most engineers would never buy a first year production car. Let's see how the Fremont Delivery Hub handles the corrections today.

Tesla Rocklin service called me today - they have already ordered a new 21" uber wheel replacement and will fix all the alignment issues this Wednesday. They also said that any paint/body issues will be contracted to their local Tesla collision center and give them a "Due Bill" to cover any imperfections.

Let's see how the service goes!

Personally, I don't mind issues, if they are fixed!

Yes, many cars have defects. But dealers will go through a pre-delivery inspection process to fix most issues before you drive off the lot. And if there are issues after delivery, you usually have a responsive service department ready to resolve them.

Tesla seems to have little to no PDI and the service department issues are fairly widespread. And worse, there is little sign of any meaningful improvements over the years.

It's like they expect (and know) people will just deal with it, so why waste resources on it? I don't see this approach as being sustainable long-term and at scale.

There was an excellent post on FB this weekend where someone went out looking at various new vehicles on car lots, including those known for exceptional fit/finish like Lexus and Acura.

Apparently all cars have fit/finish issues.
Of course it's not impossible to find a Lexus or an Acura with a fit/finish issue. No one is perfect.

What I don't understand is the need to point to other manufacturers to try to justify Tesla's continuing poor record in this area. How many more pics from owners do we need to see to admit the problem has not been rectified? Sure they are better than they were even 2 years ago, but instead of wasting energy trying to justify the continuing problem, we should be pressuring Tesla to fix it. Sometimes I think they are focusing too much on high tech issues at the expense of ignoring the basics.

Of course it's not impossible to find a Lexus or an Acura with a fit/finish issue. No one is perfect.

What I don't understand is the need to point to other manufacturers to try to justify Tesla's continuing poor record in this area. How many more pics from owners do we need to see to admit the problem has not been rectified? Sure they are better than they were even 2 years ago, but instead of wasting energy trying to justify the continuing problem, we should be pressuring Tesla to fix it. Sometimes I think they are focusing too much on high tech issues at the expense of ignoring the basics.

My Y has issues too. One was fixed by the mobile service tech and the other one... well, let's just say I'm waiting for the state order to be lifted so I can bring it in to show them. I cringed when the tech removed the passenger door panel and practically disassemble the entire door to tell me that it's likely within spec.

Not making excuses, not trivializing quality problems on the early serial # cars, and certainly not justifying anything. I have an early ser # car (29xx) too. I pre-ordered it through a website sight unseen. I took delivery of it at night with hardly a complete inspection. I hadn't even set eyes on it in the daylight until Saturday (delivered on Tuesday night), but as the folks who delivered had said, I have 7 days to return it.

I have decided to live with whatever shortcomings my early Y has (personal choice). But if I had higher expectations, I would have gone through the car more thoroughly upon delivery and refused to take it.

I had even started another thread under the Order/Production/Delivery subforum asking about the fit/finish of cars others have received .

I would suggest for those who have issue to go to the App and schedule a mobile service appointment and take pics of each issue. Then talk to the tech when he/she arrives to work on the car.

As for me pointing out other manufacturers, it was to give this issue some perspective. I have had more than one "first year" car, and I've had my share of these types of issues. Sometimes, that's just the price to pay to be the first in line.

IMO, it's only really a problem if they refuse to make it right.

I agree with your points. I bought a Tesla because I believe in their mission and after driving EVs for now nine years I cannot consider owning another gas vehicle. Tesla of course offers the best EVs available and deserves to be supported.

The point of these updates is to inform the owners' community and to receive ideas and feedback.

Of course Tesla has been right to focus on their batteries and software. That approach is what has made it possible for them to reach this point, against all odds, and with a little luck. The luck part is for another post.

Just dropped off my Y at the Fremont hub. A very nice gentleman greeted me and reviewed the problems. On the taillights fitting he indicated that these may be within specs for these early models but they will take a stab at it. On the lift gate he acknowledged the damaged hinges and explained that it happened while they were trying to fit the liftgate better. They will also try to make it better and repaint the hinges once they are done. On the B pillar fitting, he laughed and said he had seen this before and can get it fixed (misinstalled clip). Tesla will take care of the alignment issue. Should be getting my car back tomorrow.

I could live with the car as is but it is hardly inexpensive and how will Tesla improve if it is not by receiving meaningful feedback? There will be a day when other manufacturers catch up on the technology side and quality will matter.

Reactions: tk1971
I agree with your points. I bought a Tesla because I believe in their mission and after driving EVs for now nine years I cannot consider owning another gas vehicle. Tesla of course offers the best EVs available and deserves to be supported.

The point of these updates is to inform the owners' community and to receive ideas and feedback.

Of course Tesla has been right to focus on their batteries and software. That approach is what has made it possible for them to reach this point, against all odds, and with a little luck. The luck part is for another post.

Just dropped off my Y at the Fremont hub. A very nice gentleman greeted me and reviewed the problems. On the taillights fitting he indicated that these may be within specs for these early models but they will take a stab at it. On the lift gate he acknowledged the damaged hinges and explained that it happened while they were trying to fit the liftgate better. They will also try to make it better and repaint the hinges once they are done. On the B pillar fitting, he laughed and said he had seen this before and can get it fixed (misinstalled clip). Tesla will take care of the alignment issue. Should be getting my car back tomorrow.

I could live with the car as is but it is hardly inexpensive and how will Tesla improve if it is not by receiving meaningful feedback? There will be a day when other manufacturers catch up on the technology side and quality will matter.

Convinced my wife to go for a Tesla (which she hesitantly agreed upon) - after getting our Y over the weekend she was like "wtf why did we even pay for this car?" lolll
-long story short she wants the BMW i4 next year instead of another Tesla (and I will happily agree since I also have an M4)

I have not received my Model Y yet and it'll be my first Tesla. I already knew going into it, from watching the Model 3 thread, that there would be fit and finish issues. What's a little more concerning to me are the items that are flat out missing or obviously broken. Like the coat hanger hooks that won't stay latched or missing pieces from the rear seat. That worries me.

I get that all manufacturers battle assembly line defects. It seems like Tesla misses a lot of the defects the others (or their distribution chains, down to the dealerships) would catch pre-delivery and chooses instead to resolve them post-delivery.

FYI: I just took delivery of a new M3... now in its third model year... and take a look at the pictures below. I wouldn't expect things to improve anytime soon with the MY. It's clear Tesla is bypassing body and paint quality control/inspections at the factory to speed up production and delegating adjustments/repairs to the Service Centers post-delivery. Good quarterly results are worth more than post-delivery labor costs. By the way, my headliner had black fingerprints all over it as well. Let me guess... your charge-port door isn't sitting flush against the tail light?

IMG_0867.jpg IMG_0893.jpeg IMG_0895.jpeg IMG_0900.jpeg IMG_0892.jpeg IMG_0869.jpeg IMG_0894.jpeg IMG_0896.jpeg IMG_0897.jpeg IMG_0899.jpeg

Last edited:
Pros and cons of choosing to buy a Tesla I suppose. I am VIN 12XX and must have lucked out because my car is flawless. I may just be on the Tesla hype train but I am beyond stoked for all of the benefits i.e. tech, driving feel, performance, etc and willing to put up with a few minor quality issues.

All is well with my Y. Just picked it up from the delivery hub in Fremont. They corrected everything. B pillar lining fits perfectly and the liftgate was adjusted. Scratch marks on the hinges were touched up. The taillights are not perfectly aligned with the lights on the liftgate but they are pretty good and at least symmetrical on both sides. I cannot be happier with the car. The space, the ride, and the comfort are excellent. Averaging 275 Wh/mile, including highway cruising speeds of 70 mph and auto-climate control.

This sort of answers the question of why some traditional dealerships charge a “dealer prep” fee. It’s easy to grumble about it being another tacked on fee with no real benefit...until you see what happens when there is no “dealer prep.”

• Informative
Reactions: tk1971