Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit & Finish Issues - Windshield + Passenger Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I just received delivery of my Model 3 last week (last week of June 2019) and I had heard about the numerous quality issues with paint, build, etc. After inspecting the car, there were few minor things such as the R tail light looking a bit chipped but otherwise, ok. However, when I took it for a spin, when I start driving above 40mph, I start hearing a wind tunnel/howling noise coming from the front R windshield in front of the passenger side and nothing from the left hand side. When I get up to speeds of 70mph, its pretty loud. My wife at first just thought it was the AC but when we turned off the AC, noise was still there. VIN 5xxx, anyone else have this issue?

The other issue I noticed is that when closing the passenger door, the car still thinks it's open from time to time and so my wife has to keep opening the door and slamming it shut pretty forcefully in order for the car to register the door is closed.

If anyone has any insight or has experienced the same issues, would appreciate if you shared your experience and whether it was fixable by Tesla. I have a service scheduled today and if I wanted to return the car for a full refund, I would need to do so by tomorrow so time appears to be of the essence right about now.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Sometimes if the glass roof panels aren't level and/or well fitted with the seals around it that can result in wind noise.

The door closing happens to some people due to the seals being new and not as flexible to start off with. My doors required a bit more of a harder close in the beginning but with use aren't an issue for me. Others have said the same. Do however be mindful to make sure your doors close completely or your car won't lock on walkaway if that's an option you use. One owner reported thinking that someone had broken into her car and but didn't see anyone around it on dashcam video, and the doors not being closed completely ended up being the reason. If one or more of the doors doesn't close all the way, it should show up on your screen if you look at it but generally you are already standing up outside the car and don't notice. A quick look at your app to see if the doors locked should tell you though. A convenient time to check the locks if you set Sentry manually by your phone app after you leave the car (so you don't trigger a 10-minute save to SavedClips yourself on exit).

Seriously I would not look at either of these issues as a reason to return the car. Something like a lot of paint issues, badly aligned panels that aren't easily adjusted, bad dents or deep scratches, that I would consider. I would however mention your concerns to service and think they can be easily remedied.

Last edited:
Dropped it off at the Tesla Service Center, they said the windshield isn't sealed properly so they need to replace the windshield and reseal it - made it seem like a relatively easy fix. As for the passenger door, they said that was relatively easy to fix too and said it could be fixed within a day.

On another note, the service drive with the technician was... interesting... He started pulling things out left and right, assessing flaws and defects in the manufacturing/production process to the point where wires were hanging out of my console and made it seem like he wanted to make the car perfect. That sounds like outstanding service right there. Will let you guys know how it turns out once I get it back.

I plan on leasing a Model 3 in November when the lease on our C43 AMG is up, but there is something I don’t understand. How are most delivered to the customer? Most don’t come directly from the factory to the customer’s home, do they? If there’s an intermediate stop at a service center or they’re picked up by the customer there, why aren’t the service centers inspecting and correcting prior to delivery? Doesn’t seem like an optimum way to sell a premium product, regardless of how new the company is at manufacturing.

Reactions: cwerdna
I plan on leasing a Model 3 in November when the lease on our C43 AMG is up, but there is something I don’t understand. How are most delivered to the customer? Most don’t come directly from the factory to the customer’s home, do they? If there’s an intermediate stop at a service center or they’re picked up by the customer there, why aren’t the service centers inspecting and correcting prior to delivery? Doesn’t seem like an optimum way to sell a premium product, regardless of how new the company is at manufacturing.

They go from factory --> delivery center --> driven by someone to your house for delivery.

I honestly think I got caught in the rush for to meet their quarter's quota for deliveries so they definitely aren't being inspected prior to delivery.