Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fitting a bike inside the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greeting to the team.

Waiting for my MYP to arrive I want to start making arrangements for a bike carrier but i still cannot see me hanging my $$$$$ road bikes in the back.

So the question is, if I remove the trunk floor covers either both or the very rear one, would I be able to fit a road bike with both wheels attached?

Any cyclists who have solutions or suggestions other than the hitch or the roof?

I'm tall and the bike in the picture has a 61 cm frame. I have to take the front wheel off. I've not tried removing the rear truck cover and maybe that would work but be more of a hassle. I keep my tools, pump, etc under the rear trunk so removing the cover will only give a couple of inches of room. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know what happens. I do think if I had a smaller bike with a lower saddle height it would fit easily.

With a bike rack installed you get warnings on the screen that are irritating and it may not sense objects well when backing up. I only use the rack when going on a long trip and have gear and luggage that fills the car up.

Reactions: Kouzman
Greeting to the team.

Waiting for my MYP to arrive I want to start making arrangements for a bike carrier but i still cannot see me hanging my $$$$$ road bikes in the back.
These might help give you an idea:

-
-

I can fit two road bikes (52cm and 54cm) with front wheels off in a Model 3 so guessing worst case you might need to take off front wheel to fit in a Y, guessing a single bike will fit ok with both wheels on as long as the back seats are down.

Reactions: Kouzman
Yes, my road bike goes in the back of my car every weekend. 56 cm.

EB15F304-E999-4564-9F23-45197C5400A4.jpeg

Why not get a 1Up roof or hitch rack? Roof rack is likely “more secure” as it is less accessible. Also it is more aerodynamic.

Take the drive thru at Starbucks rather than parking your car? At least with a hitch rack, you can lock it to the rack. This method here you’re risking them smashing a window and still taking off with the bike.

Why not get a 1Up roof or hitch rack? Roof rack is likely “more secure” as it is less accessible. Also it is more aerodynamic.

Take the drive thru at Starbucks rather than parking your car? At least with a hitch rack, you can lock it to the rack. This method here you’re risking them smashing a window and still taking off with the bike.
I used to put my bike on top, then one day I drove into my garage forgetting it was up there. The fork had to be replaced but otherwise the bike was still rideable. Now the bike goes inside the car, or on a hitch if I’m traveling with multiple bikes.

More recently, a friend did the same thing with her Y, and it took out the glass roof.

I would think it would be rather hard to steal a bike from inside the car. It’s not like smashing a window and grabbing a purse or laptop. One would need to get the bike through the window. The back hatch is locked electronically. As far as I know there is no mechanical release for the hatch (if I’m wrong, please correct me) so without the key, it’s not happening.

Reactions: JDEWD250
Thanks for the responses. I have watched most videos on YouTube but I haven't see anyone trying what I mentioned.

The other solution I am thinking is a floor mount rack that you mount the front fork so I would have to remove the front wheel. My bikes have a through axle not a quick release so it is a few extra steps. Plus I hate bolting and unbolting on the carbon frames. All the time.

Anyways I ordered the car without a hitch stupid me and bow I am not even thinking of adding it because I don't want to risk any delivery delays. I will do it after the fact. I see it as another option to have available but certainly not my first choice.
For those that are debating getting the Tesla hitch vs 3rd party, I would strongly advocate for Tesla doing the install of their proprietary hitch. Tesla's will come with a software update to put the car in 'Tow Mode'. When you have a hitch mount bike rack, your rear sensors may be obstructed and the car will tell you to stop while reversing. Tow mode stops this.
Am i reading the website correctly that the $1300 includes installation?

Thanks for the responses. I have watched most videos on YouTube but I haven't see anyone trying what I mentioned.

The other solution I am thinking is a floor mount rack that you mount the front fork so I would have to remove the front wheel. My bikes have a through axle not a quick release so it is a few extra steps. Plus I hate bolting and unbolting on the carbon frames. All the time.

Anyways I ordered the car without a hitch stupid me and bow I am not even thinking of adding it because I don't want to risk any delivery delays. I will do it after the fact. I see it as another option to have available but certainly not my first choice.

Am i reading the website correctly that the $1300 includes installation?
Yea