Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fitting bikes inside the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BornToFly

Supporting Member
May 8, 2013
Baby Jet
Anyone fit a road bike and/or a mountain bike INSIDE the X yet? Curious to see if with the 6 seat there is enough height to roll the bike backwards between the second row and leave it upright (maybe with front wheel off). Pics would be great...

Last edited:
Anyone fit a road bike and/or a mountain bike INSIDE the X yet? Curious to see if with the 6 seat there is enough height to roll the bike backwards between the second row and leave it upright (maybe with front wheel off). Pics would be great...
Just had to demonstrate what I thought would be a slam dunk. I got her in but with care for certain items:

- This is my Specialized Camber 29er (frame size Large)
- Three position bike seat in full down position (handle bars and wheels as-is)
- 2nd row seats fully forward, windows down recommended to watch closings
- Left bike handle bar will interfere with FWD unless I prop bike up with wood object
- Front tire sort of between 2nd row seats.
- Towels on both tires and left bike handle bar
- The last door I close is driver side FWD, and it pushed slightly, my bike a 1/2" further in.

NEVER SAY NEVER

Photos:
1) Thru passenger side FWD
2) Thru driver side FWD
3) Overall passenger side view
4) Into trunk while open
5) Selfie from driver seat

IMG_9120.JPG
IMG_9118.JPG
IMG_9122.JPG
IMG_9125.JPG
IMG_9126.JPG

Thanks @BigMskiman! Nice ride!

These photos are extremely helpful.

I doubt I'd ever put my mtb (large Stumpy FSR) in the car. I'm SO looking forward to having a hitch mount rack I just throw it on. ;)

It would only be road bikes inside if at all.
Thks, it the Expert all Carbon model, including rims.
Are you doing an aftermarket hitch, or Tesla does them after purchase also?

MMMM, carbon. ;)

I'm getting the tow package for the hitch receiver and "just in case" I feel like towing something.

The rack I'll most likely get is the 1upusa hitch mount.

1UPUSA.com Double Quik Rack Black
What I mean is, I have my car already and did not get hitch because our Lexus RX 400H has one. May be sorry if wife has it while I need to ride from a remote place with buddy, which is kinda rare.

What I mean is, I have my car already and did not get hitch because our Lexus RX 400H has one. May be sorry if wife has it while I need to ride from a remote place with buddy, which is kinda rare.
Gotcha.

I think I read somewhere that they can install the Accessory Hitch at the Service Center. I don't see it listed in the online store yet though. I would ask your local SvC.

The Tow Package supposedly includes some extra vehicle/frame reinforcements that can only be done at the factory.

I bet Torklift Central comes out with one like they have for the Model S soon. Although, if Tesla has their own option they may not.

Torklift Central | Tesla - Find Your EcoHitch - RVing and Towing

@BigMskiman - did you try to take the front wheel off and put the bike in backwards? Without playing with the car, it seems like that would work better, but I could easily be wrong....
Not yet, today was my first successful demo loading (though tricky). I'll try that reverse w/o front wheel next, probably on a real ride to Mission Peak in Fremont.

Reactions: BornToFly
Perhaps this is what you were looking to accomplish? I was just able to fit my 54cm road bike in between the two second row seats. Any larger frame would have required you to lower the seat. What I really wanted to do was to attach a fork lock onto the floor so that it would stay upright, but because of the split 3rd row seats, there would be no place to mount the lock.

Attachments

• IMG_20160504_122653.jpg
    IMG_20160504_122653.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_20160504_122909.jpg
    IMG_20160504_122909.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 774
Perhaps this is what you were looking to accomplish? I was just able to fit my 54cm road bike in between the two second row seats. Any larger frame would have required you to lower the seat. What I really wanted to do was to attach a fork lock onto the floor so that it would stay upright, but because of the split 3rd row seats, there would be no place to mount the lock.
Exactly what I'm hoping to do! Nice!

It looks like it might fit a bit further back. Could you not mount a fork mount on the cargo cover? Or would that put the shifters into the rear hatch glass?

It's not looking promising for my size bike but highly likely it will with my wife's and a few of my friends who ride bikes shorter than 54's. ;)

Nice setup you've got there. Looks like a ti frame. Moots? Nice Roval carbon wheels too.

Last edited:
Exactly what I'm hoping to do! Nice!

It looks like it might fit a bit further back. Could you not mount a fork mount on the cargo cover? Or would that put the shifters into the rear hatch glass?

It's not looking promising for my size bike but highly likely it will with my wife's and a few of my friends who ride bikes shorter than 54's. ;)

No, if I pulled the bike so that the fork reached the cargo cover, then the front chain ring will have to be on top of the folded down 3rd row seats, which would then make the seat go through the roof. Won't work that way unfortunately.

No, if I pulled the bike so that the fork reached the cargo cover, then the front chain ring will have to be on top of the folded down 3rd row seats, which would then make the seat go through the roof. Won't work that way unfortunately.
Bummer. I was afraid that would be the case. Maybe you can mount the fork mount to a piece of plywood or a 2x4 just wide enough to fit back there and not slide around. Not very elegant but better than having the bike flopping around.

Thanks for the pictures.
I have to fit either a 61 cm Sworks Roubaix, Sworks Epic or a Canyon.
I do have a bike rack and getting the towing option.
But it is easier to put the bike in the car.
Actually, come to think of it, I tried to fit the bike in with the two 2nd row seats fully back. I think if you lean one of the 2nd row seats all the way forward as if you're going into the 3rd row, I bet you can easily fit the 61 in the same way I did. When you're done, just move the 2nd row seat back. The only reason it was somewhat difficult to get my bike in was to squeeze it between the two seats. Didn't even think to move that second row seat.

Reactions: BornToFly