Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix to: Locked out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hotgrips

Fred F. Stone, plus Wilma, and Pebbles
Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2015
New Hampshire
Locked out: I hope these are not dumb questions, but is there a good way to create an alternate (non-keyfob) way to get into your MS when the keyfob fails and you have to call Tesla Service to unlock your 'out of warranty MS' car? I recently had this happen in an awkward situation and it took 90 minutes to give up on AAA and then wait for another hour to get the remote Tesla assistance. I am thinking along the lines of drilling a hole in a plastic panel to allow access to the frunk, then doing something in the frunk to permit entry thru a door. Isn't there a lever if you move it to the front with the assistance of a Milwaukee visual scope that it unlocks the frunk?

I had just that afternoon changed to adding the 4 digit PIN to unlock the car, and the problem seemed to be related to that? After Tesla opened my door, the keypad was on the display screen, which causes me to ponder this. I entered the PIN and my car came to life, ready to drive. Does the 4 digit PIN offer an advantage if you can physically get into the MS but cannot get it to recognize your keyfob? Just remembered earlier in the day I did the latest suggested software upgrade, and it asked me to have my keyfob updated, which I agreed to. Was that related to being locked out?

Bought two replacement batteries yesterday. Now the car will present the door handle so I can get inside, but I still get a dash message that the keys are not present. I took both keys,, placed them down on the rear of the console bottom surface, pressed both at once, and then gave up. About 1 minute later I heard some noises and it permitted me to put it in gear and drive. Does anyone know the significance of this problem? My cell phone Tesla app. cannot communicate with my MS. And I am familiar with the process of making both the MS and the Note10+ visible to each other. A display message says they are connected, but the Tesla app. will not open like it did in the past. The cell reports that I need to allow mobile access in the car, but I have done so and no help. Will try to uninstall the Tesla app in Note10+ and get it again from the Play Store.

Just to clarify, your phone cannot directly connect to your car to unlock it (in other words, it cannot act as a bluetooth key, but I believe the Model 3 can). You have to use the app to send the unlock command through the Tesla servers to your car.

You say you put both keys in the console at once? I don't know if this would cause any interference or not....just a thought though. However, it clearly was able to eventually work since you were able to drive a minute later.

Have you talked to Tesla about enabling app access for your car? That would be the safest back up plan I think...

Reactions: croman
Bought two replacement batteries yesterday. Now the car will present the door handle so I can get inside, but I still get a dash message that the keys are not present. I took both keys,, placed them down on the rear of the console bottom surface, pressed both at once, and then gave up. About 1 minute later I heard some noises and it permitted me to put it in gear and drive. Does anyone know the significance of this problem? My cell phone Tesla app. cannot communicate with my MS. And I am familiar with the process of making both the MS and the Note10+ visible to each other. A display message says they are connected, but the Tesla app. will not open like it did in the past. The cell reports that I need to allow mobile access in the car, but I have done so and no help. Will try to uninstall the Tesla app in Note10+ and get it again from the Play Store.

what year and software version? are you rooted?

what you are saying doesnt add up unless you are rooted, blocking software updates (openvpn protocol retirement), or are blacklisted from teslas mothership

To start the car you place the key below the cigarette lighter hole. There is a shop where I go to and for some reason my key fob doesn't work at that one location. I normally unlock with the app if needed, but put the key under the cigarette lighter and the "key not found" error message goes away.

I don't know exactly where on the cowl is the spot to put the key if you need to unlock the car - but there is a spot. I tried it once and it felt like someone might think I'm trying to scratch the car or break into it - and the app is easier 95% of the time anyways.

By the way - all this info is in your Tesla owners manual.

Rear inside door handles are fully electronic - not mechanical. You might be able to set up an external relay on one of them to pop it open. Maybe even just the solenoid motor that pops the door open itself.

When the keyfob battery fails you can put it on the front window in the middle somewhere. Then put it in the cup holder to drive.

and if you happen to have AT&T as your cell provider you are SOL even IF you have your phone with you.

EA903284-ABFF-4503-9D41-460B8FC7051E.jpeg

Rear inside door handles are fully electronic - not mechanical. You might be able to set up an external relay on one of them to pop it open. Maybe even just the solenoid motor that pops the door open itself.

When the keyfob battery fails you can put it on the front window in the middle somewhere. Then put it in the cup holder to drive.

The back doors can be mechanically opened from the inside. The pull tabs are just located in the rear passenger foot wells instead of the door.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I'm aware of the emergency backup, but the actual handles inside are 100% electronic and could be used as a way to set up external access (as long as 12V power works). Fronts are mechanical too and that's why I specified rear.