Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixed an Annoying Rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first picked up my LR AWD a month ago, the drive home was absolutely, blissfully quiet. Just the sound of the tires on the road and the wind blowing outside. It was awesome.

The next day, however, I noticed a rattle every time I went over a bump or rough pavement. It was pretty faint - my wife couldn’t hear it and said I was being nitpicky - but it was clear as day to me and was driving me nuts.

I knew it was coming from somewhere to my right, so over the next couple weeks I set out to locate the source of the rattle every time I drove the car, using an advanced diagnostic technique, aka pressing various spots with my finger to see if that stopped the rattling. All attempts were unsuccessful.

Today I realized the rattle was coming from somewhere to my right and above me, so I thought maybe it was the sun visor. As I went to deploy the diagnostic finger on the visor, I identified the culprit. It was...

...the stupid garage remote.

I yanked it off the visor and stuck it in my coat pocket. Sure enough, no more rattle.

I’m now seriously considering shelling out the $300 for the Homelink module. I figure it’d be an investment in my sanity.

Thought this would have the answer to my rattle but it doesn’t :( I have an annoying tapping sound coming from the driver side front. Sounds like it’s inside the dash or under the frunk. Happens when I drive over bumpy roads.

Thought this would have the answer to my rattle but it doesn’t :( I have an annoying tapping sound coming from the driver side front. Sounds like it’s inside the dash or under the frunk. Happens when I drive over bumpy roads.
If you press down on the plastic vent cover (the big piece between the frunk well and the windshield), does it move at all? I’m wondering if you’ve got a broken or missing clip on that thing, or best case scenario, one of the clips just isn’t engaged and just needs to be snapped into place, and the vent cover is moving up and down when you go over bumps.

• Helpful
Reactions: ArizonaJon
When I first picked up my LR AWD a month ago, the drive home was absolutely, blissfully quiet. Just the sound of the tires on the road and the wind blowing outside. It was awesome.

The next day, however, I noticed a rattle every time I went over a bump or rough pavement. It was pretty faint - my wife couldn’t hear it and said I was being nitpicky - but it was clear as day to me and was driving me nuts.

I knew it was coming from somewhere to my right, so over the next couple weeks I set out to locate the source of the rattle every time I drove the car, using an advanced diagnostic technique, aka pressing various spots with my finger to see if that stopped the rattling. All attempts were unsuccessful.

Today I realized the rattle was coming from somewhere to my right and above me, so I thought maybe it was the sun visor. As I went to deploy the diagnostic finger on the visor, I identified the culprit. It was...

...the stupid garage remote.

I yanked it off the visor and stuck it in my coat pocket. Sure enough, no more rattle.

I’m now seriously considering shelling out the $300 for the Homelink module. I figure it’d be an investment in my sanity.

I really like the home link, as you approach it auto opens. It also auto closes but it didn't work correctly once, so I just press the button to close it now to make sure it closes. Very easy to program, the tech would have done it but he installed at my work. It's worth it for me just not to have another device in the car, and add something for someone to steal.

I really like the home link, as you approach it auto opens. It also auto closes but it didn't work correctly once, so I just press the button to close it now to make sure it closes. Very easy to program, the tech would have done it but he installed at my work. It's worth it for me just not to have another device in the car, and add something for someone to steal.
I’ve got a non-standard double-garage-door situation - an outer commercial-style garage door that opens by remote but closes on a timer, and 50 feet later, a regular residential-style garage door. I figure I’d play around with auto-open on them, but could see myself just opening/closing them manually via the screen.

If you press down on the plastic vent cover (the big piece between the frunk well and the windshield), does it move at all? I’m wondering if you’ve got a broken or missing clip on that thing, or best case scenario, one of the clips just isn’t engaged and just needs to be snapped into place, and the vent cover is moving up and down when you go over bumps.

I thought it was this too, when I checked a while back every single clip wasn’t engaged. And I clipped them all in but the sound still persist.

You may have to go on a little treasure hunt under the frunk tub and see if there are loose objects. Luckily, the tub comes out super easy with just undoing 4 screws (after popping off the vent cover).

I may have to do this, but I have a service appointment coming up. I’ll let them take a look at it and if it’s not fixed I’ll go dig around for any loose wires.