Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire Y 19" tire replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got a flat on at 26K on our Y, so are going to replace all 4 tires (were due soon). We didn't get help from Tesla or our other roadside assistance (not flatbeds available on the weekend in Seattle). As a result, have had some time to consider where we want the tires replaced and with what brand. Interestingly, not a lot available and disagreements on whether some of the recommended (e.g., CrossClimate) can even be put on a Y because of the speed rating (Costco won't do it, even though you can order them). Looking for an all season tire (we have a lot of rain here and ski all winter). Don't care nearly as much about performance and care a lot more about range/efficiency and road noise.
Thank you for your advice!

...and an advanced search would have returned several dozen threads on this subject. It has been discussed at great length, with many detailed evaluations of:
Michelin, Pirelli, Vredestein, Goodyear, etc. etc.

Welcome to TMC. Tons of good info here, and the quickest way to access it is with a search. ;)

(moderator note)

OP since this is a tire and wheel thread it goes in the driving dynamics subforum. When I moved it, it deleted the poll. I was not aware it was going to delete the poll in this circumstance, so that was unintentional on my part. So, this thread does not have the poll you created.

Options:

1. You can PM me the list of questions, and I believe I can re create the poll in this thread (although the votes already cast wont be there). I havent done this before but looking through my options it appears I can do it so I am willing to try since the poll was deleted by mistake when I re located the thread to its proper subforum.

2. You can create a new thread, re making your questions etc. I can then delete this one.

3. You can do nothing and just let this thread stand the way it is.

If you want option 1, please PM (private message) me, dont just re post the questions in this thread or something cause I may not see it.

Reactions: M3MISEA
Big vote for Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus. Discount Tire should have them.
+1 from me. I have these tires on all my cars at the moment, including the Y. Worked great on the many trips to the mountains, even when chain restrictions were in place. I live on a hill too. Never had to chain up yet in the 20 years I lived here. Been using some iteration of the DWS tire for at least the last 10+ years. I've helped numerous people on our hill that got stuck in the snow.

I put DWS06 on all my cars (VW Passats, GTI, Sportwagen) several years ago. In every case, at 20k+ miles, the road noise increased to an unbearable level.

avs007: Have you noticed this on your newer generation DWS06 tires? This is the one aspect of ANY tire that is hard to quantify and predict.

I put DWS06 on all my cars (VW Passats, GTI, Sportwagen) several years ago. In every case, at 20k+ miles, the road noise increased to an unbearable level.

avs007: Have you noticed this on your newer generation DWS06 tires? This is the one aspect of ANY tire that is hard to quantify and predict.
Interesting... No, I have not noticed any increase in road noise. I have used the DWS, the DWS-06, and the DWS-06 Plus, all on three different cars. I normally have to replace them between 30k and 35k miles due to treadwear. If there was any increase in roadnoise, it was at least still quieter than the OEM tires that came on the car. The Goodyear tires that came on my induction wheels for example... Those are noticeably louder than the DWS 06-Plus that I have since mounted on them. Same with the runflats that came on one of my other cars. So much louder than the DWS.

...and an advanced search would have returned several dozen threads on this subject. It has been discussed at great length, with many detailed evaluations of:
Michelin, Pirelli, Vredestein, Goodyear, etc. etc.

Welcome to TMC. Tons of good info here, and the quickest way to access it is with a search. ;)
Thank you! I did do a search - was hoping to also get an update on the new tires that might be on market -- like the Goodyear EV. It's an amazing forum!

I went with Cross Climate 2 on Gemini wheels because I didn't want to manage 8 tires. My local garage had big 'NO' going with different tire sizes but absolutely no issue going with the exact same size CC2 on My MYLR.

So far, so good. :)

Do the CC2s fit flush with the gemini wheels? I saw some photos of the Pilot Sport All Season 4s that look really weird, so I'm hoping the CC2s don't have the same problem.

Reactions: JohnB007
Do the CC2s fit flush with the gemini wheels? I saw some photos of the Pilot Sport All Season 4s that look really weird, so I'm hoping the CC2s don't have the same problem.
The reason the PS AS4 does that is because the tires are "narrow" compared to the wheels, just like the post you quoted said.

The annoying thing about measurements is... tire width is measured at the widest part, where the sidewall bulges the most... not the tread face. Wheel width is measured where the tire bead sits, which is INSIDE the lip that you see. Which is why a 255mm tire (10") looks "narrow" on a 9.5" wheel with the hub caps sitting on them. If you look at the wheel without the hub caps, it probably won't look so bad.

If you want the tires to "flush" you'll need wider tires on OEM wheels... or narrower wheels on OE tire sizes.

Last edited:
The reason the PS AS4 does that is because the tires are "narrow" compared to the wheels, just like the post you quoted said.

The annoying thing about measurements is... tire width is measured at the widest part, where the sidewall bulges the most... not the tread face. Wheel width is measured where the tire bead sits, which is INSIDE the lip that you see. Which is why a 255mm tire (10") looks "narrow" on a 9.5" wheel with the hub caps sitting on them. If you look at the wheel without the hub caps, it probably won't look so bad.

If you want the tires to "flush" you'll need wider tires on OEM wheels... or narrower wheels on OE tire sizes.
That is interesting.

I never noticed this until I saw calvbot's linked photo. Looks like there is a similar issue with CC2 as well.

I have not noticed it until just now... lol. Looking at them again few feet back, I still don't think it's an issue for me though. I messed around tire pressure so many times since I bought this car, and never noticed it before...

I did read through that Twitter thread, and they claim there's no safety issue, but obviously some still don't like it.

That is interesting.

I never noticed this until I saw calvbot's linked photo. Looks like there is a similar issue with CC2 as well.

I have not noticed it until just now... lol. Looking at them again few feet back, I still don't think it's an issue for me though. I messed around tire pressure so many times since I bought this car, and never noticed it before...

I did read through that Twitter thread, and they claim there's no safety issue, but obviously some still don't like it.
Most people, including myself, don’t like it because of how it looks. Oh, and the possibility of getting curb rash.

But spec wise, there isn’t an issue with it. According to TireRack, it’s just within spec range.

I bought a new set of wheels for my MYP for daily driving (keeping OEM for “fun days”), but it now falls within the range on the other side, 8”. I hit the curb with my OE wheels, so I’m hoping the narrower wheels will lessen the chance of it happening again. Plus, with 19” vs OE’s 21”, it should be a little easier on the bumps. That said, I miss the firmness in turns, of the 21s. Anyway…

Reactions: JohnB007