Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flint Supercharger Open to All BEV’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I called in at Flint Supercharger today. Two non Teslas charging, both with “wrong side” charger location on their cars meaning 2 vehicles using up 4 chargers. Other 4 occupied, so unable to charge. A glimpse of the shape of things to come. Oh joy.
Tesla need to get some longer cables sorted out, which should mostly solve the problem.

Reactions: TheManofMead
Went to Rugby today. 28 Tesla stalls and 13 free, so no issues. But the other charge point operators’ stalls were rammed with no spare places and a couple of cars waiting. Which is very odd since I think Rugby is one of the sites open to all brands.

All be open soon….
Not without a rebuild of 100+ charging locations…

By the end of the year, we’ll November anctually, all rapid chargers need to have contactless payment and other payment providers able to roam on them (e.g. octopus Electroverse).

I think we will actually see some sites close at the end of the year if those regulations are enforced.

Tesla are still building brand new V3 sites as Welcome Break locations…..

The guidance says this applies to all public rapid chargepoints - there's a long list of things that don't count as public (eg workplace chargers, chargers for use only of residents of a block of flats etc.), but also:

Examples where a charge point would not be considered public

Exclusive use in respect of a vehicle produced by a specific car manufacturer
  • car dealership forecourts for a specific manufacturer which allow only their customers to use their charge points
  • proprietary networks whose charge points and use are restricted to one specific car manufacturer
Which certainly sounds like you could continue to offer a Tesla-only supercharger network (as far as these regulations go. it may well be the case that subsidies, planning permission or space/power constraints at sites make it easier to do open-to-all sites in general)

There's also a clause that says that if you make a sites public on an incremental basis you have 1 year from when the site becomes public to offer contactless (ie you could add to app today, then have a year to add contactless). You might conceivably have to make some v3 sites that were open to the public Tesla only again.

So I called in at Flint Supercharger today. Two non Teslas charging, both with “wrong side” charger location on their cars meaning 2 vehicles using up 4 chargers. Other 4 occupied, so unable to charge. A glimpse of the shape of things to come. Oh joy.
Presumably, since Tesla logging will still show available stalls as unoccupied, they won't ever be aware of these issues.
Similarly, the predictive supercharging routing based on data of other cars enroute has little hope of doing anything effective when it's blind to non Tesla vehicles and further exacerbated by cars which occupy multiple bays.

Reactions: ringi
Mayhem at Trafford centre 4 non Tesla taking up 8 bays!!!! It states on the website if you can’t use the chargers correctly then don’t use them. As far as I’m concerned if your charge port is on the wrong side then you can’t use them properly. Tesla should be on this as owners are getting super frustrated
Trafford Centre has been ruined by non Tedlas using it. I was in a queue right along the straight and half way down the approach. Gave up and drove to Stockport, as I was short on time. I have suffered at the hands of a two bays blocked user too. Clueless people.

Reactions: ringi
Trafford Centre has been ruined by non Tedlas using it. I was in a queue right along the straight and half way down the approach. Gave up and drove to Stockport, as I was short on time. I have suffered at the hands of a two bays blocked user too. Clueless people.
Everytime I go past TC SC it's full of delivery vans. Luckily it's a SC that I'm never likely to use as I only live 5 mins away and can charge at home.

Reactions: IanMcL
Wishful thinking that the App allocates non- Tesla’s to a stall. “Please use stall 1A or 1B”. I can’t see it happening. Just have to wait for v4 upgrades all round.
As the sites get larger, I'd actually appreciate a mini-map with spare stalls at times... Particularly with the older V2s where you might be able to get allocated a stall where your partner car isn't pulling full capacity

Mayhem at Trafford centre 4 non Tesla taking up 8 bays!!!! It states on the website if you can’t use the chargers correctly then don’t use them. As far as I’m concerned if your charge port is on the wrong side then you can’t use them properly. Tesla should be on this as owners are getting super frustrated
What website? Does the app tell non-Tesla owners about this?

Either way - this is 100% on Tesla. No one forced them to open up V3 sites, they chose to. I don't blame non-Tesla owners for charging at sites they've been invted to use, the only way they can.

Reactions: MD70
People are generally using from the wrong side because that is where their charge port is. What do you want them to do?
I have a Fiat500e. its a small car with the charge port on the rear right but the cable still is not close to reaching if you park on the "correct" side at a V3 charger
The price of between 41-61p or 30-45p if you subscribe is probably way cheaper than any other local option so can you really blame people for wanting to use Trafford.
If there is any fault here it is Tesla's for fitting cables too short for non Tesla's then opening it up at such an attractive price.

Tesla's only rule on this is don't park across multiple bays. Either side is fine with them:
1708345077463.png

Reactions: Sean.