Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fluid Replacement Intervals have changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RE: Brakes. Often the brakes on my MS seem to stick after parking in my garage and then later shifting to reverse to back out. There is an initial hesitance to move and I can feel the resistance from the parking brakes, then "pop" and off I go. I believe it happens when I park after driving through rain, but not totally sure it is exclusive to that circumstance. Anyone else experience this?

You guys realize the car can't regen down to 0 mph right?

I can't recall ever driving my Tesla without having to use the friction brakes multiple times, even if it's just the last few MPH.

It's the fact you rarely need do it from speed that is why the pads/rotors last so long

I'm one of those that seldom touches the brakes. Low traffic driving mostly. I think if I didn't have "creep" engaged I might not have to use it for stop lights either?

RE: Brakes. Often the brakes on my MS seem to stick after parking in my garage and then later shifting to reverse to back out. There is an initial hesitance to move and I can feel the resistance from the parking brakes, then "pop" and off I go. I believe it happens when I park after driving through rain, but not totally sure it is exclusive to that circumstance. Anyone else experience this?

Yup same here the morning after I drove in the rain, or washed the car. A few times it's been stuck pretty hard and the "pop" is loud as the car finally lurches backward out of the garage.

• Helpful
Reactions: petecrayton
You guys realize the car can't regen down to 0 mph right?

I can't recall ever driving my Tesla without having to use the friction brakes multiple times, even if it's just the last few MPH.

It's the fact you rarely need do it from speed that is why the pads/rotors last so long

If you have creep off it just depends on the slope of the road you're on:

If perfectly flat, you come to a complete stop without applying the brakes.
If you are going uphill, not only will the car stop but it will start rolling backwards if you don't hit the brakes or the accelerator.
If going downhill, you need to apply the brakes.

Reactions: UTMB
If you have creep off it just depends on the slope of the road you're on:

If perfectly flat, you come to a complete stop without applying the brakes.
If you are going uphill, not only will the car stop but it will start rolling backwards if you don't hit the brakes or the accelerator.
If going downhill, you need to apply the brakes.
This has been my experience as well.

This is great news for me as it now matches my plan with Tesla’s new recommendation. I’m driving 50k miles per year so no way I was going to do anything at 25k miles. I’ll take it to Tesla service at 2 years and have them check the brake fluid and probably replace it (I am in the humid, American South). If they desire they can check the battery fluid, but it sounds like now they won’t even bother with that.

Hardest part of maintenance for me so far has been remembering to schedule tire rotations. I used to rotate them with each oil change so I didn’t have to remember. Btw I replaced 2 tires at 38k miles and I’ll have to replace the other 2 soon. This thing does eat through some tires, but the driving experience is more than worth it!

This is great news for me as it now matches my plan with Tesla’s new recommendation. I’m driving 50k miles per year so no way I was going to do anything at 25k miles. I’ll take it to Tesla service at 2 years and have them check the brake fluid and probably replace it (I am in the humid, American South). If they desire they can check the battery fluid, but it sounds like now they won’t even bother with that.

Hardest part of maintenance for me so far has been remembering to schedule tire rotations. I used to rotate them with each oil change so I didn’t have to remember. Btw I replaced 2 tires at 38k miles and I’ll have to replace the other 2 soon. This thing does eat through some tires, but the driving experience is more than worth it!

My OEM Goodyear Touring have a treadwear rating of 500 which implies a life circa 80K miles, but clearly that is not what you are experiencing. Too early for me to tell as I only have 7K on the clock. But I have had to replace one due to road hazard and though Tesla Road Service made it convenient, the tire cost me almost twice as much as if I had bought it from Discount Tire, et al.

On a related note I did discover (here) that you can not only buy a "flat repair kit" from off the Tesla site, and another company sells a 'spare tire kit" that consists of a full size steel wheel & tire, a jack and lug wrench in a carry on bag which might prove useful on a trip.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
I feel like Tesla could have written in a software program to apply some brake pressure every now and then to keep the condition of the brakes up, or cycle the pistons every X amount of days when parked and plugged into a charger...

In fact, if this is in fact an issue, it sounds like something we should be tweeting Musk. Can't be that hard to dump a code to every 60 days cycle the pistons ten times upon next Supercharging event and probably would be done in a few seconds.

I thought that was the reason for the phantom braking on Autopilot. ;)