Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fogged side camera service, found old parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "fogging" is considered within spec - as long as the fogging goes away.
Service replaced my driver side pillar this morning because enough water intruded that it left hard water stains/deposits which cause the camera error to appear frequently - even when there's no fog/moisture inside.

As usual with Tesla, YMMV.

• Helpful
Reactions: go2realize
really hoping tesla adds heaters to the camera 'domes' so that inside condensation can be avoided.

they still need wipers of some kind, though. its not a proper solution without it, as the cameras will become more and more important as we climb the self driving levels.

I know they did this for cost, but its not something I consider 'optional' ;(

Reactions: cypho
they still need wipers of some kind, though. its not a proper solution without it, as the cameras will become more and more important as we climb the self driving levels.

I know they did this for cost, but its not something I consider 'optional' ;(
+1

Around here, in the winter it takes less than 10 minutes for the rear camera to become so covered with road salt that it is totally useless. And every time I use the windshield washer, the runoff blinds the side camera and triggers a warning.

It would be fine if the cameras needed cleaning once a week, but I am not going to pull over and clean the cameras 3 times on my morning commute. There is no possible way to claim success on FSD without wipers on every camera that is needed for the system to remain functional.

I'm hoping that vendors can justify the cost of self-cleaning cameras, once the economy of scale comes into play.

the auto industry is so EXTREMELY cost sensitive, I understand why they don't do the self-cleaning camera thing yet, but I feel they'll have to, if they want this system to really work and be trustable.

I do know of at least one vendor that is now planning to add such things to their next vehicle. (sorry, can't disclose)

Reactions: Atari2600
Don't gore vents have little breather slots or holes on the side of a plug?
That is one form that they can come in. But they also come in the form of round stickers you can slap on just about anywhere you need to keep dirt out, but equalize air pressure inside.

They look just like the one in the pic - I have actual experience with them in a product for my day job.

I'm hoping that vendors can justify the cost of self-cleaning cameras, once the economy of scale comes into play.

Our Buick has a washer nozzle over the rear camera lenses. A quick spray cleans it right up. Such a solution would be feasible for Tesla too - they’d just need an extra run of washer fluid hose to the rear of the vehicle and a t-tap. Neither are significant cost.

Reactions: Atari2600
Lately since temps have been warming up to the 40s in the a.m. the need for really warm preheating of the cabin hasn’t been necessary. My car is parked outside overnight. However I use a kleenex (always have in my purse) as I approach my car in the colder misty mornings and take a few seconds to wipe the right B pillar, then trunk camera then driver B pillar before getting in my car to eliminate the outer condensation. Haven’t seen inner condensation lately. A quick short push of the wiper stalk clears the front facing camera from condensation on the windshield and then good to backout and go. Figure it’s a good habit to clean the cameras from the dirt that forms on the lens anyway. Lots of building going on in town and dust in the air and morning condensation doesn’t help. Doing this I don’t have a need for any extra washer line to the rear of the car. Also don’t like blue fluid running down my nice white car :).

I'm hoping that vendors can justify the cost of self-cleaning cameras, once t

Just FYI, I've found that hydrophobic coating and/or Rainex definitely help on the rear camera. Doesn't silt up when splashed water dries, because splashed water mostly falls off.

Can't speak for the side pillars, as I never had an issue to begin with. Keeping the car cleaner might reduce the rate of "daily drive" accumulation... a little grit on the skin lets it pick up more dirt quickly.

Reactions: mswlogo
an alternative to washers and fluid is the moving film idea; film shifts from a supply to a take-up roller when the cam gets dirty. movie crews have been using this method for a long time. it does have a consumable (the film) and it does need motors; but the sensor is the camera, itself, and it will know when it need a cleaning.

I really hope we find something along these lines for the next big thing that tesla makes.

I know one vendor is working on this - so tesla better get on it!

The rear camera washer nozzle was a nice feature on the Bolt as well.....
agree with the good idea. with the bolt and maybe buick in particular, I think the nozzle was a requirement because those cars also have the digital rearview mirror option - so there were two camera modules - one for reverse camera and one for the review mirror - different lens designs and modules but they tended to be installed as a single unit in the rear.

agree with the good idea. with the bolt and maybe buick in particular, I think the nozzle was a requirement because those cars also have the digital rearview mirror option - so there were two camera modules - one for reverse camera and one for the review mirror - different lens designs and modules but they tended to be installed as a single unit in the rear.

Correct. Two lenses (wide and narrow angle) in one housing, both sharing a washer nozzle. I can share a short demo video from the Buick if anyone’s interested. Had a Cadillac XT5 before the Tesla as well - had the same system. Very impressed with how well it works, actually.

i developed the pillar camera obscured or blinded phenomenon just a few weeks ago in coastal Oregon; it started happening on days even without rain - sun shining. I remotely turned on climate control, setting temperature to 80 degrees - after four hours the heating was stopped by the car and I was notified of this by the app. The heating period was conducted while the car was unoccupied in my garage - ambient temperature ~50 degrees F. The next day I took the car on a road trip with variable weather from sunshine to light rain, fog, changes in elevation from sea level to 3000 feet -- and no fogging of pillar cameras all day -- round trip 432 miles. It may be that the moisture was evaporated by the heating episode. I'll post again if it returns.