Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folding mirrors Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017SAP2MCU1 - My folding mirrors fold properly when I pull into the garage BUT they incorrectly unfold with the car in reverse BEFORE I pull out of the garage and I have to fold them with the button before I pull out. All settings are correct and I have done a reboot.

2017SAP2MCU1 - My folding mirrors fold properly when I pull into the garage BUT they incorrectly unfold with the car in reverse BEFORE I pull out of the garage and I have to fold them with the button before I pull out. All settings are correct and I have done a reboot.
I had a mirror folding issue, it required replacement of the driver’s side external mirror by a ranger under warranty. It’s the only warranty issue I’ve had since purchasing the car in 2017.

Upvote 0

Turn off Mirror Auto Fold in settings, and use location-based (or HomeLink-based) mirror folding instead, and that will do what you want. I've been doing that for years, for the same reason as you. I also have the mirrors unfold automatically when I leave the location, so the mirrors unfold after I leave home. It sometimes takes longer than expected for the mirrors to unfold when leaving, but that doesn't bother me.

Upvote 0
Were you able to correct the problem of the mirrors unfolding? If so, what did you do? My mirrors have been randomly unfolding in the garage for at least a couple of years. I thought software updates would correct the problem but not so far. I have a 2016SAP1MCU1 that I bought new in 2016 and the mirrors worked correctly in the same garage until a couple of years ago. I have tried all the ideas in the suggestion above but they still randomly unfold.

Upvote 0
I have this same issue. Here's a deep dive that might be useful to you. At the end, I'm going to suggest how to approach Tesla Service to get this fixed. I have reported this (and all of the following research) to Tesla for a repair. It's been a year since then, and they haven't fixed it as of this writing.

Part 1: There are two settings that control the folding of the mirrors: Auto-fold & Auto-fold at Location. I have discovered that when both features are off, mirrors fold as expected (never). When one uses either feature (but not both), mirrors fold and unfold as described in the manual (good). But when both features are turned on, the mirrors behave in a random fashion (bad). From my Model S 2020 manual, the Auto-fold feature is described like this:

"You can set the mirrors to fold automatically whenever Model S is locked by touching Controls > Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Fold. The mirrors unfold automatically whenever you unlock."

And when you lock the car, the mirrors will fold. So far, so good. The Auto-fold at Location feature is explained like this:

"Model S can automatically fold and unfold the side mirrors based on location, which saves you from having to manually position them each time you need to fold or unfold the mirrors when at a frequented place (such as narrow garages, tight parking spaces, etc.).

"To set up, Model S must be driving at a low speed (less than 3 mph/5 kph) or stopped at the location you want your vehicle to remember. Go to Controls > Vehicle > Always Fold Mirrors at this Location."

Part 2: It's important to know why these features exist and what they do to make life easier. Turning on the Auto-fold feature means that your mirrors will be tucked out of the way so that someone (or some vehicle) is less likely to bump into your car when you're parked anywhere. Turning on the Auto-fold at Location feature is great for a place you often need to drive into that is narrow (like your home garage).

Part 3: I need both features turned on. I want the mirrors to be folded when the car is locked, wherever it is (parking lot, et cetera). My garage is narrow, so the mirrors should be folded at my home location for entering the garage and backing out upon leaving. When both features are turned on, the mirrors fold properly when parking and locking the car (good). They fold properly when I enter my driveway (good). However, when I unlock my car in the garage, there are several modes of failure. Most times, the mirrors unfold (bad). Sometimes, only the passenger side mirror unfolds (bad). Sometimes, the mirrors remain folded, but unfold when I apply the brake to shift into reverse (bad).

Part 4: Even after reporting this to Tesla Service (December, 2021), providing lots of information, and letting them hold on to the car off and on over several months, there has been no fix. This is definitely a software issue. Someone coded up each feature, and each one worked. But no one tested them together. The Auto-fold at Location feature should take precedence, but the Auto-fold feature is interfering with that and randomly unfolding the mirrors when they should remain folded.

I'm going to speculate as to why there is no fix: This is a software issue. This is not going to be fixed at your local service center. Your service team is going to report this to the Tesla software team. That team is going to ignore the request. Your local Tesla service manager can tell a local service technician to fix a defective temperature sensor, and it will get done. But your local Tesla service manager is powerless to get the Tesla software team to address warranty issues. Does this make sense to you?

Part 5: If you're having the same issue as I describe above, here's my suggestion. Keep reporting this defect over and over. Don't accept the answer that "this is the way it's supposed to work." It isn't. Don't accept the answer "we reported it but we don't have a timeline on when it will be fixed." Insist on a timeline. Without a deadline, it will never be fixed. Don't accept the answer that this problem isn't seen that often (or that you're the only one with this problem). That doesn't matter one bit. It's a defect (let's hope under warranty for you), and it must be fixed. (Imagine if you had a defective windshield wiper motor, and they decided not to fix it because you're the only one who's had a defective windshield wiper motor.)

Document everything. You want to make sure that you preserve your records so that this will be covered under your warranty.

As of this writing, my car is in service and the mirror software defect is one of the issues that should be addressed. I will return here to report on the outcome.

Have any of you reported this failure for repair under warranty?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
Upvote 0
Thank you Radio Kid, much appreciated! I have owned the 2016 Model S since June of 2016 and the mirrors worked correctly for at least the first four years. I bought a 2017 Model X in September of 2017, which uses the same garage as the S and the mirrors always work correctly on the Model X, never unfolding unexpectedly. I first noticed the S unfolding problem in the fall of 2020. I called the 800 number and they said the map software updated about the same time and suggested I make a request to have the map software reloaded. I wound up taking the car in for service in the fall of 2020 reporting the problem and asking to have the map software reloaded, not sure what they did, but they were not able to fix it. I’ve had it back to several service centers for this problem since then. It’s a difficult problem for service because they can’t easily see it.

MCU2: A suggestion was made to upgrade to the MCU2. Since you have a 2020 Model S, we know the MCU2 is in your car and not a fix for the mirror unfolding problem on my car.

Trouble Shooting: I went through a trouble shooting exercise which took weeks to try all the variables. I started trouble shooting by making sure the S was setup the same as the X, which it was. Then, I turned off all the settings including wi-fi and home link and I reset home link, I even changed my home location in navigation. Then, I started turning on one setting at a time. The only thing I found that seemed to have an affect was to turn off wi-fi … having said that, I didn’t find anything that always prevented the mirrors from unexpectedly unfolding in the garage. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention … sometimes when I put the car in reverse and start to back up the mirrors fold closed. If they folded every time it would be a fix … but it rarely happens.

I agree with your analysis of how Tesla service works. All they typically do in the service centers is change components. There is another Tesla Models S owner with this same unfolding problem, in another TMC thread Side View Mirrors Auto Fold - Strange Behavior he said Tesla service replaced the body control module. But it didn’t fix the problem.

I don’t think warranty comes into play unless there is a hardware problem. I strongly suspect this is a software or firmware problem because it worked for years and seemed to stop working after an over the air download.

Upvote 0

I don’t think warranty comes into play unless there is a hardware problem. I strongly suspect this is a software or firmware problem because it worked for years and seemed to stop working after an over the air download.
Thanks for the bounty of additional information! My car is still in service for this issue right now. In fact, I just received a call from the lead technician. I get the impression that this is being taken more seriously than Tesla service did at another location back in December of 2021 (fingers crossed).

The warranty makes no distinction between hardware and software defects. (It shouldn't.) My advice is that if your car has a defect under warranty, definitely make a service appointment and don't take any kind of "no" for an answer. I am also careful with my language. It's never a software bug. We've come to expect in the world of apps that bugs may or may not be addressed by the developer. Instead, I always speak of these things as *defects* which must be *repaired*. Use the same language for these problems that you would use for a defective door handle or a misaligned trunk that won't close properly.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the bounty of additional information! My car is still in service for this issue right now. In fact, I just received a call from the lead technician. I get the impression that this is being taken more seriously than Tesla service did at another location back in December of 2021 (fingers crossed).

The warranty makes no distinction between hardware and software defects. (It shouldn't.) My advice is that if your car has a defect under warranty, definitely make a service appointment and don't take any kind of "no" for an answer. I am also careful with my language. It's never a software bug. We've come to expect in the world of apps that bugs may or may not be addressed by the developer. Instead, I always speak of these things as *defects* which must be *repaired*. Use the same language for these problems that you would use for a defective door handle or a misaligned trunk that won't close properly.
At the suggestion of a Tesla employee, I logged a service request on the Tesla app to fix randomly unfolding mirrors in my garage. Tesla scheduled a visit to my home on 11/11/22. The service tech said he had been dispatched to do a Factory Reset. Also, he said that he had been told … I had been offered a Factory Reset before and I refused. I assured him, to the best of my knowledge, no one had suggested a Factory Reset since this problem started 2 years ago. I did the Factory Reset and after he left I spent the next hour connecting the garage door opener, wi-fi and going through the menus line by line to setup each item. It has now been 24 hours and the mirrors remain folded in the garage. While the mirrors appear to be working correctly now, I don’t consider this a fix because the root cause of the defect has not been identified or corrected. While no one can be certain if the problem will reappear on my car, it remains a possibility, and there are several threads on TMC all regarding this as an unresolved problem. Since a variety of Model Ss, from very early cars to recently manufactured, are experiencing this problem, it seems inherent in the Model S no matter the year of manufacture. One person suggested that I trade-in for a new Model S … at this point I have no reason to believe this defect is not in the new cars.

By-the-way, the tech said he has seen this mirror unfolding problem on Ss as well as 3s and Ys. So much for Tesla being unaware of the problem. Since I also have an X, I asked if he has seen the mirror unfolding problem on the X. He said he has NOT seen this problem on the X.

Upvote 0
At the suggestion of a Tesla employee, I logged a service request on the Tesla app to fix randomly unfolding mirrors in my garage. Tesla scheduled a visit to my home on 11/11/22. The service tech said he had been dispatched to do a Factory Reset. Also, he said that he had been told … I had been offered a Factory Reset before and I refused. I assured him, to the best of my knowledge, no one had suggested a Factory Reset since this problem started 2 years ago. I did the Factory Reset and after he left I spent the next hour connecting the garage door opener, wi-fi and going through the menus line by line to setup each item. It has now been 24 hours and the mirrors remain folded in the garage. While the mirrors appear to be working correctly now, I don’t consider this a fix because the root cause of the defect has not been identified or corrected. While no one can be certain if the problem will reappear on my car, it remains a possibility, and there are several threads on TMC all regarding this as an unresolved problem. Since a variety of Model Ss, from very early cars to recently manufactured, are experiencing this problem, it seems inherent in the Model S no matter the year of manufacture. One person suggested that I trade-in for a new Model S … at this point I have no reason to believe this defect is not in the new cars.

By-the-way, the tech said he has seen this mirror unfolding problem on Ss as well as 3s and Ys. So much for Tesla being unaware of the problem. Since I also have an X, I asked if he has seen the mirror unfolding problem on the X. He said he has NOT seen this problem on the X.
FACTORY RESET DOES NOT PREVENT MIRRORS FROM OPENING RANDOMLY AT HOME IN THE GARAGE - 32 hours after the Factory Reset and less than 5 hours from my post above the mirrors randomly unfolded in the garage. I suspect we can rule out a Factory Reset as a remedy.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: After more than a week at Tesla Service, the issue is not repaired. The mirrors still behave in a random fashion when unlocking the car at the location where the mirrors are supposed to remain folded.
FACTORY RESET DOES NOT PREVENT MIRRORS FROM OPENING RANDOMLY AT HOME IN THE GARAGE - 32 hours after the Factory Reset and less than 5 hours from my post above the mirrors randomly unfolded in the garage. I suspect we can rule out a Factory Reset as a remedy.
Have you tried turning on the Auto-fold at Location and turning off Mirror Auto-fold? When I use this combination of settings, my mirrors behave correctly at my home, both when arriving to drive into the garage and (critically) when unlocking the car in the garage to depart. (Of course, the mirrors don't fold when locking the car away from home because Mirror Auto-fold is turned off). It would be interesting to see if you get the correct mirror behavior with this configuration. (By the way, my car connects to Wi-Fi at home, and I don't use HomeLink.)

Upvote 0
UPDATE: Got a push notification on the Tesla app this morning. The service appointment was closed out even though the mirror problem was not repaired (and three other problems were also ignored). The message said this:

"Looks like mirrors are operating as design [sic]. Vehicle along with app are checking when you enter and leave your geofence and mirrors are responding accordingly."

I'm not accepting this. I've proven to them in writing and in person that this is not a geofencing problem. (Turn on the Auto-fold at Location and turn off Mirror Auto-fold to demonstrate that the car knows how to keep the mirrors folded properly.) The response above amounts to gaslighting. There is an obvious defect, the lead technician and others have acknowledged that it's a defect, and Tesla Service is now telling me that "this is the way it's spozed to work." If you hear this, don't accept it.

I've already written a thorough email to the service team detailing how they failed to address any of the several warranty issues that brought the car to them. I'm going to give them a few days to respond. No matter what, I'm setting up a new service appointment with all of the same issues again next week.

If you are experiencing this issue (or others that you are certain are legitimate), then I recommend that you go through the effort to engage Tesla Service and keep bringing your car back to them until the repair is done. (This is a lot easier if your car is under warranty.) I'll keep you updated.

Upvote 0