Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folks with next-gen seats of any colour - how are they holding up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, I ordered a Model S 60 at the start of July with grey next-gen leather. They've now told me that I won't now get the car until mid next year. I've tried tweeting Elon and Jon McNiell to no avail. My DS has no info either.

Wrestling to switching to black from grey (I'm apparently the last holdout in my area) What's the durability like on all those seats after a while?

Tan, white, grey, black - Show me your issues. Scare me away, convince me.

I'm just starved for info.

Have you had lighter color leather seats before? I have a 2015 SUV with grey leather seats and a 2012 sedan with tan leather seats. Both show blue jean color transfer a little but I only notice when I clean the seats.

I've never had black leather so that's what I've ordered for the Model S. Also figured it won't show the blue jeans dye as easily.

Unless you think black leather is ugly, I wouldn't want to wait all that additional time. You could get some new update but with Tesla there is always an update around the corner.

Long story short, I ordered a Model S 60 at the start of July with grey next-gen leather. They've now told me that I won't now get the car until mid next year. I've tried tweeting Elon and Jon McNiell to no avail. My DS has no info either.

Wrestling to switching to black from grey (I'm apparently the last holdout in my area) What's the durability like on all those seats after a while?

Tan, white, grey, black - Show me your issues. Scare me away, convince me.

I'm just starved for info.

When did you get notified that picking the grey would delay your delivery? I ordered mine on July 9 with confirmation on July 16. My car was delivered last Friday and I should get it back on Monday from the detailer.

I was in the same situation as you. I always liked black. The car I was just coming from had a black interior and it is easier to clean and hides dirt/stains better. Then, I saw the grey and thought it would look great with my blue exterior and black headliner. I started to think the black headliner and black next gen would be too monotone, claustrophobic, and boring. Just to be safe after hearing that since it is a lighter grey color, I did have my detailer apply CQuartz leather protection to the upholstery to protect it.

In terms of preference, I'd say grey, black, and tan (being my least favorite). I wouldn't wait several months for the grey though. In that case, I'd go with black. Another thing I think about as an accountant/CPA is that if your car is delivered after January 2017, then you'll have to wait until February 2018 at the earliest to get your federal tax credit (waiting for your W-2 to come in and wait for the refund check after filing your 2017 return). That means waiting about 1.5 years to get the tax credit from now.

If you can't get gray leather, how about the tan? The next GEN seats are quite nice, but unfortunately, still nothing like the Euro luxe competition.

Honestly I think the the tan is hideous. Too yellow for me, and doesn't match either headliner option. I think it's there to appeal to the Lexus crowd who are used to that colour of leather.

I know it's just an opinion, but tan just isn't "me."

Have you had lighter color leather seats before?

I live in Texas and have always had cloth because I wear shorts fairly frequently and don't like sticking to the seats.

When did you get notified that picking the grey would delay your delivery? I ordered mine on July 9 with confirmation on July 16. My car was delivered last Friday and I should get it back on Monday from the detailer.

I ordered July 9th, but due to an issue with my referral code they had to "redo" things and it ended up being finalized on the 21st. The drop must have started somewhere in that one week window.

I started to think the black headliner and black next gen would be too monotone, claustrophobic, and boring. Just to be safe after hearing that since it is a lighter grey color, I did have my detailer apply CQuartz leather protection to the upholstery to protect it.

Yeah, it just feels very... Lawyer-y, and less fun. I wouldn't mind white if it were available.

I wouldn't wait several months for the grey though. In that case, I'd go with black. Another thing I think about as an accountant/CPA is that if your car is delivered after January 2017, then you'll have to wait until February 2018 at the earliest to get your federal tax credit (waiting for your W-2 to come in and wait for the refund check after filing your 2017 return).

That's fine. We're not hurting for $7500, and there are no state incentives for me in Texas. It would basically create a net-zero tax year for us (not included our property taxes which are just paid in escrow anyway).

That means waiting about 1.5 years to get the tax credit from now.

It's not like I'm laying out $75K right now though. Besides, if it DOES end up really, truly taking to June/July 2017, then I only have 6-8 months to wait. :p

Honestly I think I'll wait. I'll likely get a bunch of improvements and new sensors, and maybe they'll introduce the white seat option (one of the Model 3's had it, and so does the X, so maybe they're trying to standardize seat colours.)

Reactions: ssrajputev
That's fine. We're not hurting for $7500, and there are no state incentives for me in Texas. It would basically create a net-zero tax year for us (not included our property taxes which are just paid in escrow anyway).

It's not like I'm laying out $75K right now though. Besides, if it DOES end up really, truly taking to June/July 2017, then I only have 6-8 months to wait. :p

Honestly I think I'll wait. I'll likely get a bunch of improvements and new sensors, and maybe they'll introduce the white seat option (one of the Model 3's had it, and so does the X, so maybe they're trying to standardize seat colours.)

Yeah, that makes sense. There's a rumor that cars that went into production as of this month have the hardware for autopilot 2.0. Hopefully my car does too. :)

Would you pick the white over the grey? I'd still keep the grey, because of how it looks with the black headliner/dash and my blue exterior. I've heard some people really wanted a vegan option, which is why they go with the white in the X. I wonder how well that white will keep compared to the grey (as many people have commented that the grey will stain easily). The white does have some type of stain protection though.

I took a weekend long test drive with the original leather seats a year ago and hated them. So, when I ordered my car earlier this year, I got the next generation seats without ever having sat in them. They are much better than the original seats IMHO, but, they're still not amazing. I find them a bit too hard and there's also some stitching on them that's a bit suspect. I'm not sure how well they'll hold together in the long run, but, only time will tell. I personally think Porsche still has the best seats.

[...] Tan, white, grey, black - Show me your issues. Scare me away, convince me.
My Model S is almost 9 months old, I have the grey next gen seats and they still look brand new, zero issues. I don't drive too many miles daily, but I do drive pretty well every day and wear jeans all the time.

IMO the grey looks particularly awesome with black headliner and CF trim, some pics I posted previously here if you haven't seen the combo. I used to have black leather in previous cars, didn't like the look of the light headliner, and black leather + black headliner just too dark.

Reactions: jfoxny
To go against the grain here, I have black next gens with black headliner, and wouldn't have my monotone goodness any other way. Ditto though on the tan. No, just no. Especially when paired with the light headliner, it's a real WTF kinda look.