Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Following distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It used to be pretty linear.... 1 was approximately 1 second following distance. 2 was approximately 2 seconds following distance, etc, etc. I agree that it doesn't appear to be like that at all anymore. That being said, there are times that I definitely see a difference in following distance at the same speed, with the same setting! I'm throwing out a crazy guess here, but it almost seems that, every since the setting appeared to stop making a linear change to following distance, something else is being used to alter following distance. Time of day, road traveling on, rush hour, density of traffic, magnitude of slow down / speed ups, number of slow down / speed ups, number of lanes, adjacent traffic, etc, etc... Something is making a difference, and it's no longer the selector. I am curious if this is an AI(ish) move to get us closer to FSD? Allow the car to decide on following distance, based on a slew of factors.

Still waiting for my HW2 60D but the HW1 car I testdrove in the autumn was too close for my personal comfort even on 7 so I'm welcoming this change. :)
It's funny you mention that. When I test drive HW1 last year, I did find a value where I was comfortable. I don't remember what that number was but when they enabled TACC on my HW2 car, I kept adjusting the numbers and was surprised at how comfortable I was with the 1 and 2 settings. Then I did as the poster above and tried the other settings and found they are all the same. I'm sure they'll be fixing that functionality soon but in the meantime, the distance feels pretty good to me.

When AP is engaged and someone cuts in the buffer space between your car and the car in front of you, how quickly does AP react? Does it require driver intervention?

I will likely take delivery in March and understand AP2 isn't quite there yet, but I want to manage my own expectations. In other words, how relaxed can I be in busy traffic with AP engaged?

(I know, I know - AP is in beta and I should be ready to intervene at any moment).

It is safe and only have noticed a problem if the merge is really slow in stop and go traffic. It doesn't respond as fast as I would normally, but it slows down in plenty of time.