Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone doubting buying FSD, go ahead and buy it now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who paid 4k more for the same car today (and that's factoring in tax credit), I can't justify dropping 9 grand more just to get a still very limited and flawed feature - even if it's great under perfect conditions. If us early adopters got a significant price break then maybe I'd consider it. Elon wants to raise the price on FSD but I think doing that is not a wise decision. Despite that there isn't really competition yet for FSD features, sales will be limited to the minority who can afford it if price goes up. He should keep the price more affordable and his profits will scale with mass adoption from people who are on the fence. I think his tactic was to get people to buy before a supposed price hike and was a bit of a mis-step.

Reactions: GSP and Vegaforce
As someone who paid 4k more for the same car today (and that's factoring in tax credit), I can't justify dropping 9 grand more just to get a still very limited and flawed feature - even if it's great under perfect conditions. If us early adopters got a significant price break then maybe I'd consider it. Elon wants to raise the price on FSD but I think doing that is not a wise decision. Despite that there isn't really competition yet for FSD features, sales will be limited to the minority who can afford it if price goes up. He should keep the price more affordable and his profits will scale with mass adoption from people who are on the fence. I think his tactic was to get people to buy before a supposed price hike and was a bit of a mis-step.

Especially if the idea is that FSD is safer then a human driving. I get the need to find development, but bring out a subscription service, or price the features that are currently there. $6k gets you everything that will be released. $1500 gets you Nav on AP. $1,500 more gets Nav on AP on city streets. $3k gets you those features with hands off the wheel.

I’ve got to believe you would sell many more units then the all or nothing mentality.

Reactions: HelixSpiral
I have really been enjoying smart summon, but as someone who has Enhanced AP but never spent the money on FSD, I'm pretty happy with my decision. Occasionally I wonder if I was stupid for not getting FSD when it was $2000, but I keep reminding myself that I would still have the exact same features as I currently have. Maybe that day will come where I will regret not buying it, but I'l wait to purchase it when I know what I'm getting and not what I hope to get.

Reactions: Tron 3 and afadeev
I have really been enjoying smart summon, but as someone who has Enhanced AP but never spent the money on FSD, I'm pretty happy with my decision. Occasionally I wonder if I was stupid for not getting FSD when it was $2000, but I keep reminding myself that I would still have the exact same features as I currently have. Maybe that day will come where I will regret not buying it, but I'l wait to purchase it when I know what I'm getting and not what I hope to get.
I'm happy I did jump on it at $2k and I think people will be bummed they didn't as well. There are so many improvements in this update and yes, SS is great. Can't wait for more.

Reactions: Phlier
Enjoy the kool aid

I am enjoying it. Got model 3 in September and I have seen the improvements over time.
It takes Apple one year to develop a software with their magnitude. But you are expecting Tesla to develop a car to drive itself like a human overnight.
These things take time but we are getting closer and closer.
AP on freeway has changed my life for good. I can’t imagine a day sitting in traffic for 50 mins without AP coming home from work

I’m not advocating buying anything you can’t afford, but Smart Summon JUST came out, it was just released to the public. I have no doubt a year from now it will be substantially improved vs what it is now. Once they have all this data they can mine, they’ll fine tune it, and I have no doubt that it will be useful in the future. One year ago (six months ago even) the screen didn’t show any cars or any of its surroundings other than the blind spot notification which most found was less than adequate. Today, the car shows lane markings and oncoming traffic. You can pinch and zoom it out almost like a view from a drone following you. Granted it doesn’t pick up every car, yet..

I have no doubt when they start using the new FSD computer and retrofit everyone’s car, things like this will get substantially better. Just look at the progress made the last year, and if they progress at the same pace it will be more than amazing, but now they have and are using all this data, I expect them to progress even faster!

Again, don’t purchase anything you can’t afford, but keep in mind that as these feature increase and Tesla becomes further ahead with FSD, it will bring much more value to those who purchased FSD.

With the new V10 and testing smart summon (which I always thought as a gimmick and never thought I would use it until I actually needed to use it), I have become a believer. It will blow your mind. If you ever had doubts about purchasing FSD, go ahead and purchase it.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Smart Summon.
You are certainly entitled to it. To a degree, I share it - it's a neat party trick!

To me, Smart Summon is worth about $250.
If / when the rest of the FSD features start materializing outside of Elon's twitter feed, and those add up to something approaching actual human-like Full Self Driving capability (not just a few more tricks), the FSD package value to me will go up from there.
Until then, to me it is worth $250 for Smart Summon + $250 for NoAP (buggy, but so what) ~= $500.

If Tesla raises the priced of FSD package to $100K tomorrow, it will still be worth ~=$500 to me.

Feel free to explain to me what the other $5.5K would buy me today, or tomorrow!
:eek::rolleyes:

And no, I don't want to be the guinea pig debugging "stop at red light" functionality. The downside from it erring is way too unacceptable to me.
Thanks in advance to all of you for debugging it for me by blowing through the red lights and getting t-boned, or t-boning others.
:cool:

I have no doubt they will raise price of FSD soon

I also have no doubt that Tesla will both raise, and drop, the price on FSD in the future.
Many times.

• Disagree
Reactions: tuoncan and Phlier
Ac
Unfortunately this all is still "hearsay". Everything available even today works entirely on HW2.5. Until Tesla releases a build of firmware that utilizes HW3.0 we are all guessing at "what's next".... You can't accurately judge what FSD will be with HW2.5....

actually you can based on the video from autonomous investor day. That’s basically what is in development right now

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Smart Summon.
You are certainly entitled to it. To a degree, I share it - it's a neat party trick!

To me, Smart Summon is worth about $250.
If / when the rest of the FSD features start materializing outside of Elon's twitter feed, and those add up to something approaching actual human-like Full Self Driving capability (not just a few more tricks), the FSD package value to me will go up from there.
Until then, to me it is worth $250 for Smart Summon + $250 for NoAP (buggy, but so what) ~= $500.

If Tesla raises the priced of FSD package to $100K tomorrow, it will still be worth ~=$500 to me.

Feel free to explain to me what the other $5.5K would buy me today, or tomorrow!
:eek::rolleyes:

And no, I don't want to be the guinea pig debugging "stop at red light" functionality. The downside from it erring is way too unacceptable to me.
Thanks in advance to all of you for debugging it for me by blowing through the red lights and getting t-boned, or t-boning others.
:cool:

I also have no doubt that Tesla will both raise, and drop, the price on FSD in the future.
Many times.
I agree. I wouldn’t pay a dime for smart summon right now. All I’m saying is I tried it the other day and it blew my mind how advance Tesla is compared to my previous cars. This will get better over time. For me the most import feature is AP on street level which is not released yet and would likely require HW3

When I missed the $2,000 deal I was a bit miffed, but I lucked out having EAP which gives me everything except stop sign/light recognition, so I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $5,000 at purchase. I do foresee a day though when I may regret it.

The real game-changer will be when ALL cars are networked and each is aware of the other's needs and accommodates it. Get attitudes, emotion, and the different levels of situational awareness out of the picture and people stop dying.

Any Tesla accident is instant news, but I understand that coast to coast human deaths from automobile accidents amount to a 747 crashing every week. I personally don't think that it will be that long before self-driving capability is safer than humans. It already exceeds my Daughter who has bent everything she's ever driven...

I have EAP, and am happy with its features (TACC and auto-lane change). Came close to biting on FSD @ the $2k the firesafe, but got cold feet.

We really have no use for Summon, Advanced or otherwise. Living in the SoCal burbs, we take care to park our two model 3's as far away from the front door of the store and we can get (which means away from anyone who might ding the doors).

Yeah, that means we get to walk across the lot to the car, or could use Summon to come get me at the front door. But, why? If I purposely park away from others, why would I want to car to come get into the loading queue at say, Home Depot?

Bought my 3 during the March sale. No AP, no FSD. 2.5 computer I assume.

I was thinking of buying plain old auto pilot but like folks saying here, I’d almost rather upgrade $6000 sooner. Hardware 3.5 will be out in 2-4 years. Look at the history, they will be changing the mcu again...