Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"His Hers (on loan): Model 3 LR AWD; Pearl White; 18" Aero; Black Interior; AP + FSD.
Also hers: 2018 Buick Enclave Premium; (Ingested a deer 10/21/19. Still @ body shop #2)
His (rentals): Hyundai Santa Fe GMC Terrain Chevy Tahoe Toyota Avalon. Feel for me."

Dmurphy: thanks for the laugh and I do feel for you!
If it's a new Tahoe, I'd be ok with that, not the Terrain or Avalon though.

"His Hers (on loan): Model 3 LR AWD; Pearl White; 18" Aero; Black Interior; AP + FSD.
Also hers: 2018 Buick Enclave Premium; (Ingested a deer 10/21/19. Still @ body shop #2)
His (rentals): Hyundai Santa Fe GMC Terrain Chevy Tahoe Toyota Avalon. Feel for me."

Dmurphy: thanks for the laugh and I do feel for you!

If it's a new Tahoe, I'd be ok with that, not the Terrain or Avalon though.

... been 82 days and the Buick still looks like it did the day the deer went rogue. What a saga - a week into it, the first dealership/bodyshop went bankrupt, so I had to exfiltrate (literally, the body shop manager hiding my key behind their back and pushing my truck outside for me) my half-a-Buick and find another bodyshop. Then we spent 2 months waiting for parts because of GM's bankruptcy. Now the new body shop has most of the parts (except whatever the first one lost) and tell me the parts are in paint and prep, but the truck still sits where it's been for the last 2.5 months.

It's been the biggest comedy of errors, and when all is said & done, I'll still be at least $10k in the hole because "Collision with Airbag Deployment and Frame Damage" doesn't look so hot on a CarFax. Is it wrong to hope the bad luck continues and it falls off a lift at the body shop or something (and doesn't hurt anyone?)

As for the Tahoe, that was a nice ride but only for a few days right before the holidays. I ran out of insurance rental coverage about a month ago, so now when I do take a rental, it's on my dime. I'm just over all of it at this point.

Last I knew, radiators weren't parabolically shaped ...

IMG_3966.jpeg

Last edited:
... been 82 days and the Buick still looks like it did the day the deer went rogue. What a saga - a week into it, the first dealership/bodyshop went bankrupt, so I had to exfiltrate (literally, the body shop manager hiding my key behind their back and pushing my truck outside for me) my half-a-Buick and find another bodyshop. Then we spent 2 months waiting for parts because of GM's bankruptcy. Now the new body shop has most of the parts (except whatever the first one lost) and tell me the parts are in paint and prep, but the truck still sits where it's been for the last 2.5 months.

It's been the biggest comedy of errors, and when all is said & done, I'll still be at least $10k in the hole because "Collision with Airbag Deployment and Frame Damage" doesn't look so hot on a CarFax. Is it wrong to hope the bad luck continues and it falls off a lift at the body shop or something (and doesn't hurt anyone?)

As for the Tahoe, that was a nice ride but only for a few days right before the holidays. I ran out of insurance rental coverage about a month ago, so now when I do take a rental, it's on my dime. I'm just over all of it at this point.

View attachment 498623
Holy crap.

hey did you end up buying the boost? I remember seeing in another thread dragy results from you and a buddy as a baseline pre upgrade.
Not yet, probably will later this month.

My buddy who did the tests with me probably won't until he gets back from a vacation in early Feb. We want to do testing afterwards as well, but with the crappy cold weather here in the winter, it's hard to justify right now. We had to wait until a random 60 degree day and drive around for a while until the battery showed no dots.

Not yet, probably will later this month.

My buddy who did the tests with me probably won't until he gets back from a vacation in early Feb. We want to do testing afterwards as well, but with the crappy cold weather here in the winter, it's hard to justify right now. We had to wait until a random 60 degree day and drive around for a while until the battery showed no dots.

I spent the first 25 years of my life in STL, so I know what you’re dealing with :)

I also haven’t pulled the trigger but anticipate I will eventually. Curious to wait and see what develops in Q1. Its typically a weaker quarter, compounded by tax credit expiration, and I’m wondering what tricks they have up their sleeve to maintain momentum with Wall Street.

View attachment 498623
...and they say Tesla's are bad to repair.

I spent the first 25 years of my life in STL, so I know what you’re dealing with :)

I also haven’t pulled the trigger but anticipate I will eventually. Curious to wait and see what develops in Q1. Its typically a weaker quarter, compounded by tax credit expiration, and I’m wondering what tricks they have up their sleeve to maintain momentum with Wall Street.
Was kind of thinking the same thing. Not that they’d lower the price of it, but maybe something additional.

I was a very dissapointed after my first few launches. I cannot feel any difference in the 0-30 or 0-60. I don't doubt that there is a difference but it is not something that I subjectively feel. For 2K wanted to feel the difference not just know it was there on paper.

But once I got on bigger / faster roads. WOW! There is a very noticeable difference in the 30 - 70 range.

Pre upgrade the only time the car felt super powerful was when starting from a full stop. Even a 10 MPH roll killed most of the excitement out of stomping on the pedal. Post upgrade, the car can put a smile on my face even when I'm starting from a 45 mph roll.

Opportunities for a rolling start are more frequent on my roads than a full stop. So I am quite pleased with the upgrade. I also wonder if I am traction limited from a full stop on my winter tires and there may be another surprise in store for me next summer.

I had an opportunity to compare my boosted AWD to a friend's non-boosted today.

From launch to around 30mph we were pretty much a perfect tie, then I started to slowly pull ahead. I knew 0-30 didn't feel any different, but I was quite surprised to see that there was absolutely no difference.

• Disagree
Reactions: dennistdk
I am shocked by your results.

For me in both feel and actual numbers 0-30 has improved. My boosted best 0-30 is 1.73s. My strong times pre boosted was around 2 flat. That said the difference increases once you get moving.
Agreed. Something's just not right with those crypho results. Of course, we were not provided any real information like Temp, SoC, regen dots,etc. of either the boosted or AWD cars doing the comparison. I'll file that post in the FUD category since professionals have recorded video of this same comparison and the results are similar to what you say, and not the crypho's purported results...

Last edited:
No, it was far from a scientific test, and neither of us are professional drivers. But I didn't pay 2K for a boost that can only be detected by professionals in laboratory controlled conditions. All that matters to me is what I can feel and see. And what I see is an improvement in the acceleration in the 30-60 half of the race, but nothing in the 0-30 half.

The two cars were built within a few weeks of each other in mid 2019. Both cars have around 10K on the odometer and both are on 18" aeros with the hub-caps removed.

My car (the one with Accel Boost) is wearing winter tires (Nokian R3). His car is still in the factory all seasons. We both started the day at 90%. To get to the testing location, I drove 30 highway miles, he had driven 10. So his car probably had a slightly higher charge, but my car was probably slightly warmer.

The road was dry, but cold (a bit under 20F). I don't have any precise numbers for the 0-30 or 0-60. The results are just what we saw looking out our windows. With the winter tires and the acceleration boost, I was expecting to blow him away. I did win, but it was way closer than I expected and I didn't pull ahead until the end.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki and mrau