Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why didn't the people buying AWD whom wanted the "P" performance purchase it at the time of sale? Was there a time where it wasn't an option to purchase? I'm speculating but I assume at least some decided not to purchase it.

Because I decided to buy after Tesla had lowered prices some but also got rid of P3D- when they bundled the P features of Performance acceleration with the PUP option as a single 11k upgrade. P3D-'s were only available for a month or two if I recall correctly - the window was very limited and the base price for all model 3's were high at the time. I probably would have just waited and jumped to the P3D+ had I known they were going to do several price drops thereafter, which would have saved me a significant amount of money factoring in the EV credit and my tax liability.

Why didn't the people buying AWD whom wanted the "P" performance purchase it at the time of sale? Was there a time where it wasn't an option to purchase? I'm speculating but I assume at least some decided not to purchase it.
A lot of people who are purchasing after the P3D- was no longer offered don't want the 20" rims. That's the main reason I didn't get a performance and instead went with an AWD LR. If a P3D- option was available when I purchased, as it is in the UK market, I would have bought that.

A lot of people who are purchasing after the P3D- was no longer offered don't want the 20" rims. That's the main reason I didn't get a performance and instead went with an AWD LR. If a P3D- option was available when I purchased, as it is in the UK market, I would have bought that.

This too. Funny enough, the guy from Engineering Explained just detailed his expensive experience with potholes and his stock 20" wheels/tires on the P3D+ and wishing that Tesla would offer a 18" option (video link below). There are many factors at play here which people don't consider which make the P3D+ so susceptible to damage, including the weight of the car.

Reactions: SammichLover
This too. Funny enough, the guy from Engineering Explained just detailed his expensive experience with potholes and his stock 20" wheels/tires on the P3D+ and wishing that Tesla would offer a 18" option (video link below). There are many factors at play here which people don't consider which make the P3D+ so susceptible to damage, including the weight of the car.

Yep. My buddy has a P3D+ and had it before I got mine. He hit a pothole and busted 2 rims. Granted it was a massive hole that busted rims on a ton of cars, but the cost to replace 2 20” rims was nuts. He wishes he could have purchased a P3D- too.

I don't get how people can think owners would pay more than $10k for a "performance upgrade" when the difference in cost at the time of purchase is only $10k and that includes additional hardware (larger wheels, larger brakes, better suspension, spoiler, etc.)

I think most folks here are only looking to unlock the acceleration, and that's it. I wouldn't do it, but I think no more than $10k is reasonable to ask to unlock the better acceleration. Then if people want, they can go ahead and do the hardware upgrades separately if they choose.

And Tesla would still make out better this way since they are using cheaper components in the LR/AWD model.

Reactions: SammichLover
I don't get how people can think owners would pay more than $10k for a "performance upgrade" when the difference in cost at the time of purchase is only $10k and that includes additional hardware (larger wheels, larger brakes, better suspension, spoiler, etc.)

I think most folks here are only looking to unlock the acceleration, and that's it. I wouldn't do it, but I think no more than $10k is reasonable to ask to unlock the better acceleration. Then if people want, they can go ahead and do the hardware upgrades separately if they choose.

And Tesla would still make out better this way since they are using cheaper components in the LR/AWD model.

The AWD model uses exactly the same components as the P3D- which is why most folks are suggesting the software unlock to change one to the other should be similar to the ~5k net price difference a buyer of each would've ended up with back when both were sold.

Saw that last night. Great video and that guy has a great YouTube channel IMO. I'm starting to worry about my 19" rims. Hopefully they are much more durable and less expensive to replace!

Yep. My buddy has a P3D+ and had it before I got mine. He hit a pothole and busted 2 rims. Granted it was a massive hole that busted rims on a ton of cars, but the cost to replace 2 20” rims was nuts. He wishes he could have purchased a P3D- too.
For maybe another $200-$400 you can get a full set of very nice APEX EC-7 18x9.5, put on some PS4S or whatever rubber, and ride off like a king. :) Not too bad a hit on range, either. There's a few 18x8.5 options out there, too. Put some on non-OEM PS4S's on that and they will probably get you better range than stock 20" (just not quite Aero range).

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Performance upgrades will be available for lr awd owners by end of the year. It won’t be p3d numbers but close

Don’t ask how I know

That is great to hear if so. It also makes sense if it's not quite P3D numbers, gives a little more incentive to upsell on full P3D and probably buffer's a little for the motors being non-binned to keep the warranty in check. I think by and large most 3D owners will be happy with something in between.

Sorry for not clarifying: it will cost money to upgrade performance

When I was purchasing my car, I told someone I want a p3d without the 20s. He/she/it told me to get an lr awd and wait for Santa

I would hope it costs money. Tesla needs the money and I'm sure 99% of people who would want it would be willing to fork over for it. Hopefully whoever you spoke to wasn't just saying that to convince you to just buy but rather they were frank and their source is reliable.

Last edited: