Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ran some of my own calculations and not that far off as an original P3D stealth buyer.

Original purchase date was Sept 2018 at $70,000 which included EAP and Obsidian Black. Now minus $5,000 for the refund Tesla provided to P owners. Another $5,625 in fed tax credit savings then vs now. Which brings us to $59375.

Similarly spec'd out Solid Black P3D stealth is $56,740 with FSD (no more EAP but basically the same functions as of today).

Key differences are 1) I still have track mode and 2) I don't have all the future FSD features over EAP, 3) Obsidian black vs Solid black 4) and free premium lifetime LTE

This was the closest apples to apples comparison for me and only paid $2,635 more than what I would be paying today. I'll write that off on depreciation. The enjoyment and exhilaration of driving this beast the last 10 months was well worth it.

I guess the obsidian black and track mode still makes it a unicorn. :confused:

Last edited:
Ran some of my own calculations and not that far off as an original P3D stealth buyer.

Original purchase date was Sept 2018 at $70,000 which included EAP and Obsidian Black. Now minus $5,000 for the refund Tesla provided to P owners. Another $5,625 in fed tax credit savings then vs now. Which brings us to $59375.

Similarly spec'd out Solid Black P3D stealth is $56,740 with FSD (no more EAP but basically the same functions as of today).

Key differences are 1) I still have track mode and 2) I don't have all the future FSD features over EAP, 3) Obsidian black vs Solid black

This was the closest apples to apples comparison for me and only paid $2,635 more than what I would be paying today. I'll write that off on depreciation. The enjoyment and exhilaration of driving this beast the last 10 months was well worth it.
If you'd dropped the extra $2,000 on FSD back in March it'd be $4,635 (plus difference in State tax if that is a factor for you) for an even more straight-across comparison. So Track Mode cost and time cost you that much.
I guess the obsidian black and track mode still makes it a unicorn. :confused:
Until we convince Tesla to sell me P uncork w/Track Mode upgrade, yes. :p

I was so close to pulling the exact same trigger. Interestingly all this slightly increases my sense of regret that I didn't, rather than what you might thing given people being upset about this price drop. Looking at the numbers, if the lack of Track Mode is true, I'm still okay with what I got when I got it. I'm probably just conditioned by decades of buying PCs and other electronic gear? ;)

Tesla would make way more money by allowing the extra performance to be added via IAP or other form of unlocking because more people would do it. Plus, it costs Tesla nothing in overhead, manufacturing, etc. It's literally changing a zero to a one.
No doubt Tesla would make money by selling and uncorking update to exist cars.
But at the moment selling a car makes Tesla look good in the public eye.

Tesla to investors: we made millions selling a software update.
Or
Tesla to investors: we SOLD more cars and made millions.

Now don't get me wrong I would buy the software to make my LR AWD faster.

Reactions: Msjulie

Or

With a vague "made millions", lacking scalar to compare between those two sentences, sure it looks the same. However investors do generally pay attention to actual scalar values for profit. ;) They also care a lot about what the % profit margin was. That's been an important part of Tesla's financials, to assure they are able to consistently generate positive cash flow via their sales. Remember all the noise about whether or not Tesla could manufacture at a profit?

Sheesh! I'd be so down to pay $2K or even $2.5K for a faster acceleration and higher top speed :p
It's just crazy how it COULD potentially happen given the price drop. But Elon being Elon, this will likely not happen. They'd rather sell cars than software updates imo.

Or

Now don't get me wrong I would buy the software to make my LR AWD faster.
If I was investing I'd like to see millions of revenue based on zero cost on their end (aside from more warranty issues probably) as opposed to cars that have costs involved to sell.

Sheesh! I'd be so down to pay $2K or even $2.5K for a faster acceleration and higher top speed :p
It's just crazy how it COULD potentially happen given the price drop. But Elon being Elon, this will likely not happen. They'd rather sell cars than software updates imo.

Well, they sold me the vaporous FSD “Not-A-Software-Update” (no one ever got the FSD update they paid for).

So they do sell them.

However, I would agree, Elon believes, you pay ‘cash on the barrel head’ for a fast car.

F**k me, but hopefully/maybe if they get desperate at some point they will sell a “Full Performance” software update.

Reactions: phantasms
Well, they sold me the vaporous FSD “Not-A-Software-Update” (no one ever got the FSD update they paid for).

So they do sell them.

However, I would agree, Elon believes, you pay ‘cash on the barrel head’ for a fast car.

F**k me, but hopefully/maybe if they get desperate at some point they will sell a “Full Performance” software update.

If/when they really get "hard over" for cash, they will doing anything - including selling updates, all updates that deliver any features, that is (not bug fixes)… Just wait... I hope not, but I can see the bean counters in any publicly traded company moving this way...

Congratulations, you got a great deal. If they do a discounted upgrade it should be for the people that ordered before January or whenever the big price adjustments happened.

View attachment 430838
Awesome. I have the same configuration except add $3,000 for FSD. I thought I paid 4k for FSD but it was 3k.

My original order was for a P- but I did not want to pay over $70k for a car so I changed it to that configuration. I paid over $63k for a dual motor. lol

Imagine waiting 2+ years and paying $61,500 like I did. So pissed.

I did (actually $59,500 plus the $2k FSD upgrade during the fire sale). Love the car, put 36,000 miles on it so far. Definitely not pissed... actually considering buying a second one. We were looking at used Model Ses but I’m having a hard time justifying that with the current Model 3 prices.

Delivery numbers are not as important as actually being profitable. Deliveries are just a primary indicator out of several. Investors can see the full financial reports, I don't think this would be something glossed over. If you sell an uncork for 5k to 50,000 AWD 3's - thats $250 million in pure profit, 150m if 3k. They delivered 77,550 model 3's in Q2. I imagine a large share are the LR AWD version. I think anything that can generate ten's of millions in net profit should be looked at seriously.

** - $5,250 for difference in Fed Tax Credit

I've had mine 10 months (price difference is even fuzzier than factoring Fed Tax Credit). Price of nearly one year ahead of the curve and the enjoyment I've had over that time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's great, my credit amount was less than that from Dec delivery. Price difference can get fuzzy when you factor in gas usage but everything else is fairly straight-forward varying depending on when ordered, what special deal you got for free like supercharging, and how much tax liability they had.

So you all just want to pay the difference between performance and regular awd but get the unlock without the wheels and brakes or what?

Or track mode, or a spoiler, or shiny pedals, or lowered suspension.

Reactions: phantasms
So you all just want to pay the difference between performance and regular awd but get the unlock without the wheels and brakes or what?
Basically, yes. Although what "the difference" actually is probably isn't sanely calculable now. ;) Just some number, in the $5,000 and change range, for the P's power curve and Track Mode. Aftermarket for parts as I go. Definitely don't want the 20" rims.

;)

That's great, my credit amount was less than that from Dec delivery.
Why?
Price difference can get fuzzy when you factor in gas usage but everything else is fairly straight-forward varying depending on when ordered, what special deal you got for free like supercharging, and how much tax liability they had.
No, I was referring to EAP vs AP and a few other things (lifetime premium internet, I think, although I don't know if that made it until Dec, not sure about everything else).
Or track mode, or a spoiler, or shiny pedals, or lowered suspension.
Track Mode is the only thing on that list that has any significance :p ... and now people are claiming that isn't coming with this new configuration. If that's true (welcome to the fog of Tesla marketing) then down to pretty much nothing of significance.

How close have you come to using what you've got for the top end? How often? I've not even hit 130mph yet.

Actually, come to think of it. I just did it recently at 128mph the other day just to try and for fun mostly lol (it was an empty freeway late late at night) I didn't want to push it that hard... BUT it would be nice to lift that 140mph+ to 160+ just for the giggles. I think for me mostly, having that faster acceleration. I think that's. worth $2k for sure. Anything higher like $5K is a no for me.

I think for me mostly, having that faster acceleration.
In case you didn't know, and maybe you do but are accidentally conflating the two here, as per dyno curves that won't really be noticeable at those top speeds. By 100mph there's only a tiny gap between the D and the P. Less than 1% difference in HP IIRC.

P.S.

I just did it recently at 128mph the other day just to try and for fun mostly.

That is a good way from the top end. You have to cover a lot of [increasingly narrowing] road to reach from there to the 155mph, or whatever the AWD is specced to top out at these days.

Last edited: