Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And now I just received a reply to my reply. They are getting better and more promising.

“I haven’t heard anything to that end, though I do know that we’ve gotten some cars that are the non-upgrade package performance cars which are essentially AWD with a performance badge and quicker 0-60. I’ll let you know if I find out it’s an available upgrade!”

Yes keep us posted. Hopefully all of us tweeting, signing the petition, contacting them, etc. will help them realize that there's money on the table here.

Reactions: MagnusMako
It is actually very on-topic for the thread, as it greatly matters for the price/feasibly of an unlock. That's why it came up, and I assume why MoutainJedi made his initial errant assertion.

I disagree that it is relevant. I doubt that the delta stress over the warranty period is going to make that much of a fiscal difference. Otherwise, you would have different parts for each car, and different warranties for each car. Currently, its being shown that the AWD and P3 are the same car with just a software unlock. So the two of you going back and forth is pretty darn annoying. Just sayin!

Reactions: Scott7 and jebinc
Incorrect.

We have the 100% the solid data that there is more stress. More power put through is more stress. We don't know one way or the other how that impacts the warranty claims, but we do know it is there.

More taxing or more stress in and of itself is meaningless without context.

As someone who has worked in product development, I can tell you that good design Always leaves a buffer to handle loads higher than is ever put on it. This is standard industry practice that I'm not going to cite for you and Tesla has many brilliant engineer's who I'm sure follow this mantra. We also have plenty of sources to show the motors in the P are the same as the AWD, no? So in the scenario that all the AWD's are suddenly at P level power, it wouldn't make sense that there is a higher likelihood of warranty claims - atleast in relation to the motor itself. Now if there are other factors outside of that motor on AWD vs P, or Tesla just has poor engineering and low tolerances then obviously it changes the suggested outcome of this scenario.

even if its an inverter upgrade. why not offer it as an upgrade to get some money?
Cost of a physical part, of tossing a part for a replacement, and the labour to do it would be a large impact on cost to do it. Assuming it is an easily swappable part. If it isn't a part that Tesla normally swaps. If they normally just swap the DU as a whole rather than replace this part for a repair then it's very unlikely to be feasible.

As someone who has worked in product development, I can tell you that good design Always leaves a buffer to handle loads higher than is ever put on it. This is standard industry practice that I'm not going to cite for you and Tesla has many brilliant engineer's who I'm sure follow this mantra. We also have plenty of sources to show the motors in the P are the same as the AWD, no? So in the scenario that all the AWD's are suddenly at P level power, it wouldn't make sense that there is a higher likelihood of warranty claims - atleast in relation to the motor itself. Now if there are other factors outside of that motor on AWD vs P, or Tesla just has poor engineering and low tolerances then obviously it changes the suggested outcome of this scenario.
1) The Performance already used some of the design buffer. Again, it was a late extension of the basic design.
2) They didn't necessary know what impact it was going to have. Now they likely have a better idea, with their data.
3) Claiming you definitely know how much it costs, or claiming definitely that it won't cost anything at all, without at least access to that inside data is hubris.

How big the difference is highly relevant. That is implicit in your assertion, right?
You are killing me with your edits LOL. I am saying that I see this as similar, if not identical, for Tesla's business model of selling Ludicrous upgrades for the S. I highly doubt that they would be making some AWD Model 3's with a different inverter than other AWD's. I also highly doubt that the difference would be much IF anything DURING the warranty period. But, at the end of the day, neither of us work for Tesla, so everything here is speculation. Which, IMO is a waste of time.

You are killing me with your edits LOL.

Patience is a virtue when replying to me. :p Sorry about that.

I am saying that I see this as similar, if not identical, for Tesla's business model of selling Ludicrous upgrades for the S.

And you don't think they had warranty accruement padding factor in that unlock? It even warns you straight up when going into full launch that you're doing something that's harder on the gear.

I also highly doubt that the difference would be much IF anything DURING the warranty period.
Your data-less opinion is noted, but the question of whether or not that assertion is accurate still remains a reasonable unknown, and 100% relevant to the topic of this thread.

Right?

No, because all I care about is whether or not they are going to unlock it. It's up to them to decide that. So it is irrelevant to this topic because its out of our site.
Whether or not the unlock it depends on economic feasibility. Correct?

And lifetime cost of the unlock depends in part on warranty claims. Correct?

Ergo it remains relevant to whether or not they unlock it, your wish to remain in ignorant of the details about their choice notwithstanding.

<edit> If that's all you care about then you could just skip the discussion of the details and wait for Tesla to maybe offer it. ;)

For a while Tesla limited the number of Ludacris launches that the performance S was allowed to do over the life of the car. They specifically said this was because it was going to wear out the car if people did too many Ludacris launches and they didn't want to pay all the warranty expenses it would cause.

The policy ended due to the bad press it was causing. But it proves thati high power launches can wear out the car faster than normal driving.

The car is fault tolerant in the fact that the front motor can fail and the car can still drive. So it is a redundant design in that sense. No need to add even more redundancy by over-engineering it if the costs outweigh the benefits.

Whether or not the unlock it depends on economic feasibility. Correct?

Since the current upcharge to flash an AWD car into a P3D- is $2000 we know the cost to Tesla is less than 2k (significantly less unless they're complete idiots)

Thus selling such an upgrade to existing owners, for more than 2k (which 99% of the discussion was around anyway), is, obviously, economically feasible.

/endtopic.

LOL, of course you did. But now you've got it so it isn't something to complain about.....not like rolling off a list of [inflated] costs associated with taking the vehicle to the track. But going off-road is free!!!! ROFL
well offroad isn't free either but tracking around here seems crazy expensive.

I like having the mode, but But i get the acceleration every day. safely of course!

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover