Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[speculation]Impossible to know but.....the front motors output the same about 147kW for the AWD and the Performance. So the front inverters are probably the same. It looks like the Performance rear motor output at about 211kW and the same for the LR RWD (about 188kW for the AWD). If so then the RWD and Performance have the same (rear) inverter. it then seems that the AWD has the same rear inverter as the RWD and Performance and is only software limited.[/speculation]

I gathered some more data from various official EU vehicle registrations (across several countries) and some interesting things do show up after looking more closely at the data (roughly looked at 10 registrations per Model 3 type per country, and they are 100% consistent). In the registration papers in EU you can see detailed info about each motor and its maximum power output.

LR-RWD (registered after 5% upgrade in March)
Rear at 225KW / 306 hp(M)

LR-AWD (registered before 5% upgrade in March)
Front at 150KW / 204 hp(M)
Rear at 190KW / 258 hp(M)
Total: 340KW / 462 hp(M)

LR-AWD (registered after 5% upgrade in March - which would probably all be 990 motors)
Front at 155KW / 211 hp(M)
Rear at 195KW / 265 hp(M)
Total: 350KW / 476 hp(M)

LR-P (registered before 5% upgrade in March)
Front at 150KW / 204 hp(M)
Rear at 205KW / 279 hp(M)
Total: 355KW / 483 hp(M)

LR-P (registered after 5% upgrade in March)
Front at 155KW / 211 hp(M)
Rear at 205KW / 279 hp(M)
Total: 360KW / 489 hp(M)

Please note we are using metric horsepower (1 hp(M) = 735.5W), not imperial/mechanical (1 hp(I) = 745.7W) as these are EU registrations. Couldn't find info on P3D-'s yet (need their EU license plate or VIN), so it's interesting to see if they match AWD or P in registered max. power output.

I was only able to find dyno results from pre-5% upgrade for the AWD and Performance and they seem to be at ~367HP for AWD and ~463HP for Performance.

I'm not sure how precisely the dyno results can be matched with the official max. power output information, but if the stock performance was measured at 463 hp(I) before the upgrade and this is the same as 470 hp(M) then with 5% added it would end up today at about 492 hp(M) which is pretty close to the 489 hp(M) that it's officially listed at maxing out at.

For the AWD it's a bit different. The dyno results at 367 hp(I) / 372 hp(M) before the 5% upgrade is far from the registered 462 hp(M). If we add 5% to that we get current 385 hp(I) / 390 hp(M). This more or less means there is a possibility for a 22%-24% increase (at least based on the listed max. power from the vehicle registrations).
It would also fit with the 20% software increase that was given in EU to a few AWD owners as compensation after Tesla messed up their orders. We are not talking P3D- update as the software still shows as LR, but performance wise it is close (~10-15hp difference between the two).

There would be no reason for Tesla to register the AWD's at 340/350KW if they are not meant to at some time reach those outputs as these numbers in the registration papers affect a lot of things (registration cost, tax, insurance - from a financial perspective you want those KW numbers to be as low as possible). :)

Also interesting is that the LR-RWD rear motor has 20KW more than the one in Performance (as they are both 980s).

It gives some possibilities for an update to both Performance (+20KW / ~5%) and AWD (+ ~63KW / ~20%) if they wanted to.

Last edited:
Made the request but my big question is, would this include Track Mode? So do current P3D- owners have Track Mode? Yeah the improved acceleration would be a cherry on top of an already outstanding car but I really just want to slide Ted around in the snow uninhibited by TC!

Disagree here as I believe there is mention that the inverter is capable of processing much more electricity on the P3D - inverter is hardware.

Up through at least early 2019 all AWD cars, P and non-P, came with exactly the same drive unit part number (the inverter is part of the drive unit) so the speculation there was any difference in inverters was never more than that- baseless speculation.

Since early 2019 there's now some folks showing up with a different DU PN in some AWDs, so it's unclear what, specifically, changed.

friend has a P3D- and track mode isnt included. it still shows up in the UI. but it is grayed out

If it shows in the UI it's absolutely included- as it has been on all P3D- cars since they first got it.

Has he tried turning it on while in park, since it's otherwise grayed out?

15656640663832018400512309406204.jpg
15656640967737500347092663042485.jpg
15656641320922477909730031086415.jpg

So are you saying I have a P3D stealth? Also if I tap on the Tesla logo the dual motor is underlined in red is that not how all dual motor cars are?

Well, I have no idea what you are supposed to have. But if you paid for an AWD (not P3D Stealth) and this is what you see, I'd just lay low! And enjoy. ;) Have you noticed your car feeling a bit fast?

The red underline signifies Performance (for both Performance vehicles, Stealth and +). AWD vehicles (non-P) do not have it.

Have you posted a picture of your rear motor? I can't keep track...this would be a curiosity, possibly, depending on when you purchased. Ah...looking at your post history, looks like late 2018 purchase. So your rear motor will be a 980 - not interesting.

You should post your purchase price details minus identifying information, if possible. Or not, like I said. Some things are better left unstated. ;)

I am curious about if your car feels extra peppy for an AWD, though. (I would think so...) The best way to figure it out is to hammer the accelerator from a dead stop. You don't need Track Mode on. Perhaps tough to determine without an AWD to compare to, but it's fairly obvious to me.

Please, explain further about the rear motor. I haven't taken a look but what is the best way to take a look at it?

It won't be interesting. But you can see the plate through the left rear wheel spokes (without aero covers on), or you can stick a camera around and behind the rear wheel but above the protective shield and snap a picture (supplemental light might be needed).

But it won't be interesting, so I would not worry about it - your car was built in 2018 (right?) and all motors were the same.

Yeah, I took delivery in late November '18. The only other Model 3 I have been in has been a performance model so it would be hard to tell. But I think next time I see another Model 3 at the local supercharger maybe I will ask to see their screen to compare.