Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For owners of the 3. How many miles do you currently have? (and how many problems?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2133 miles

1. Front doors needed realignment. Fixed at the SC - got a S as a loaner
2. Some unlocking problems with the phone unlocking, but seems to be fine now after rebooting the phone.
3. One incident with the navigation acting qwerky and another with the entertainment system, but both somehow fixed themselves (i.e. I didn't do anything)

I absolutely love this car and use any excuse to drive it.

• Informative
Reactions: jschwefel and Lem89
Had my 3 since late Dec. Has about 1500 miles now. Not racking up too many miles yet until the CA carpool stickers arrive and I start driving it daily to work. Took it to service once so far in early Jan. Issues seen so far.

- Frunk sunken / not aligned with fenders. Very hard to get closed/latched.
Fixed at service center. I think all that needed to be done was adjust the stops inside.
- Paint not even in 2 patches on front doors.
Service center sent to body shop next door to take care of it. They brought it up, we didn't notice it.
- Both front doors were also not aligned properly with the rest of the body.
Body shop also took care of this.
- Scheduled charging not enabled. This was a big problem since we always charge at home when not on a trip and want to use cheaper nighttime rates which don't start until I'm asleep.
Working perfect now with OTA software update.
- Front left mirror stays tilted down sometimes after backing up.
Service center said they could not duplicate. I'll bring it up again on the next visit, I see there is a thread now that others have this problem.
- Wi-Fi not enabled.
Software hasn’t corrected this yet. Not a problem for me, cell service has been working good enough for OTA updates.
- Phone sound had frequent, annoying, loud popping noises.
One of the OTA software updates must have corrected this. Hasn't happened recently.
- Phone as a key works inconsistently for opening and locking the car. Usually have to hold the key card behind the cup holder to “start” the car.
This is the most annoying remaining issue for us. I mitigate this by keeping the key card inside my phone case, handy to start the car or swipe the B pillar if bluetooth doesn't open the car right away. I expect Tesla can improve this.
- No users manual included in the car software.
Software hasn't included it yet. I realize there is a version on the Telsa web site.
- Charge port won't open using the button on the charge cable.
Will bring up on the next service visit. Not a big deal, just open it using the screen.
- Backup camera was dark and picture was not great when delivered.
This was made better by one of the OTA updates I think, at least not as dark. This never bothered me that much anyway.
- All doors hard to close, some more so than others. Just an annoyance.
The drivers door used the most is much better now. So expect the rest to do the same over time.

Sounds like a long list but actually I'm super happy with the range, efficiency, handling, visibility, ergonomics, maneuverability, interior amenities, interior space, stereo, in the end I think even the quality of this car. I think we now like the 3 at least as much as the 3 year old model S, and the quality and reliability of that has been fantastic. Don't mind warranty visits to the service center, always get a loaner (sometimes loaded s or x) and doesn't cost anything.

Here's a link to my first post on this forum after driving the model 3 for a day:
Model S vs Model 3 First Impressions

460 miles.
Only issue is that a cable running to windshield wiper has come loose, and is not so beautifully tucked away. Or maybe I am crazy and it came this way? Could anyone else with Model 3 chirp in here?

IMG_0877.jpg

7,708 miles on mine since taking delivery October 16th (about 3.5 months as of this writing). I've taken it on several decent road trips. It's been up to Packwood, WA, down to the Grand Canyon (by way of Phoenix), and I've done the San Jose <-> Los Angeles trip twice now. Reno and Sacramento a handful of times, plus everyday driving.

This car is amazing for road trips (so glad I sprung for Autopilot, didn't bother with the "full self driving" option).

Issues:
Some fit and finish issues upon taking delivery, pretty much all of them were fixed on my first service visit. A couple I had to go back for but they've all been taken care of at this point
  • Right rear door didn't close flush
  • Charge port door didn't close flush
  • Rear bumper to body under tail light wasn't flush
  • C-pillar trim didn't seat all the way inside the rear window
  • A-pillar trim warped
  • Trunk light on right side of car doesn't work. I only just noticed this recently and haven't mentioned it to service yet.
  • The VIN placard in the windshield at the front of the dash is high enough that I can see the back side of it while sitting in the driver seat. I've compared it to other cars and mine is definitely mounted higher than others.
  • Swirl mark on the hood from the factory. Didn't notice it until a week or so after delivery, so I haven't asked them to fix it.
I've had many of the software/audio problems that you've probably read about
  • Bluetooth audio was fuzzy and would sometimes skip around, seems to have been fixed by firmware updates
  • Phone audio had noise glitches, echoing. Seems to have been fixed by firmware updates
  • Phone as key is either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. I have to swipe the card (I just swipe my whole wallet) about 20% of the time.
    • I turned off walk-up unlock because the car would cycle locking and unlocking (mirrors fold and unfold) as I walked near it too much, even from inside the house if I was near the garage. Turning off this feature introduces a short delay when I pull the handle before the door opens, but it's not too bad. The most annoying part of having this feature off it is that I have to open a door before being able to unplug the car when it's charging. Hopefully a software update will improve this experience.
  • Sometimes the audio will seem to shift towards the front left part of the car. Service re-set a connector and that helped for a while, but it has returned.
Noises
  • Right headlight had a noisy fan whenever it was on. Left headlight also had a fan running, but wasn't as noisy. They replaced the headlight.
  • Squeak from front suspension going over big bumps (like speed bumps). They put some lube on the bushings, but it hasn't helped
  • Some noise from the drive unit at certain speeds (between 40 and 50mph). Not too bad though. Just a faint whine dependent on speed.
  • Rattle/clicking/ticking noise from the trunk area, worse when the car is cold. Sounds suspension related. I've been told it might be seat belt related but nothing I do with the rear seatbelts while driving seems to change it. Had a rear seat passenger stick his head in the trunk while driving with the other seat folded down and he said it sounded like it was coming from the side of the trunk near where he suspected the shock would mount. I'll be taking it in to service for this again (they couldn't reproduce it last time).
  • The passenger seatbelt buckle taps against the B-pillar trim when the seat isn't occupied. I can pull the seatbelt forward a little bit to stop this from happening, but it's annoying because I have to do that each time I have a passenger to prevent the tapping noise.
  • The front seat backs make a popping noise if you press against the seat back while getting settled. It's somewhat disconcerting.
There have been zero issues for me that affect the driveability of the car. No powertrain or control problems at all so far.

1400 miles

Annoying issues that I’m hoping will get fixed via updates:
Phone key unreliable. Seems to not work when the weather is crappiest and I’m most n a hurry to get in.
User Interface has to be rebooted several times per week

Issues requiring service:
FM radio won’t tune
Charge port door error message, charge port door doesn’t open when you press it (yes car is unlocked)
Call Tesla service message - charge port doesn’t open when button is pressed on charge cable.

Waited 2 weeks for a service appointment. Car has been at the service center for three days. Last update Tesla says a technician has not looked at it yet, cannot give me any estimate for how long it will take.

I love the car, but they’re gonna get roasted alive if they can’t scale up their service to match the increase in numbers.
FM radio 'tuning' is a really odd interface, but it does work. I recall letting it just sit there and populate all the FM channels then choosing from the list.
I've got a 2012 Model S and the charge port door is significantly different for the 2018 Model 3. I didn't know about the press to open part, had to go try that out. :)
How you get 1400 miles without the charge port door opening is amazing! I assume you got it open somehow or it was working before but does not now. And that's worrisome.

460 miles.
Only issue is that a cable running to windshield wiper has come loose, and is not so beautifully tucked away. Or maybe I am crazy and it came this way? Could anyone else with Model 3 chirp in here?

View attachment 278085

Washer fluid tubes for sure. Runs up the channel underneath the arm to the sprayer. If you shorten it to much it will flex more on each swipe causing possible wear. I would leave it.

Jason
I can open the charge port via the button on the user interface in the car, so it’s not a crippling problem. The FM tuner problem was a known issue with a few cars. Symptom is that the frequency is “stuck” on 102.1 - if I choose one of the other stations available from the user interface, the display briefly shows the new frequency, then switches right back to 102.1.