Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For tall drivers, the yoke is (unfortunately) the best option.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? Because you can do this when parked or for getting in and out. This is amazing. I’m also pretty much perplexed that it took me 2 years to figure this out… 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’m 6’5.5” (yes, every half inch counts).

Before:

1682817223432.jpeg

After:

1682817274558.jpeg

Seriously, chillaxing in the car or getting in and out is infinitely more comfortable now. And yes, the yoke is at the highest position. Heaven. And for those wondering how I drive, - easily! Like all tall people in all cars, we do the manspread. 🤪

PS theyokesucksforjustabouteverythingelse.

@jebinc @Muzzman1

Last edited:
I feel your pain brother, it was one of my reasons for going with the Model S. I had a Model 3 and it was like driving a go-cart... fun, but kind-a silly. The S fits me really well, and the yoke design is great. Most of my height is in my torso though, so my legs are not touching as bad a yours.

As for the yoke sucking... I have been a neutral arbiter of it for quite some time, but after driving with it for the past couple months... I don't see what all the fuss is about. I have had one incident where I wish the horn was in the center, and I think that is the biggest mistake of the design. The Turn signals? easily adapted to. Hand-over-hand issues? nope, not once you get used to how to use it. Tight turns? nope, not a problem. Maybe if I was a rally car driver it might be a problem, but I don't make 90 degree turns at 60mph so I think I am good!

I feel your pain brother, it was one of my reasons for going with the Model S. I had a Model 3 and it was like driving a go-cart... fun, but kind-a silly. The S fits me really well, and the yoke design is great. Most of my height is in my torso though, so my legs are not touching as bad a yours.

As for the yoke sucking... I have been a neutral arbiter of it for quite some time, but after driving with it for the past couple months... I don't see what all the fuss is about. I have had one incident where I wish the horn was in the center, and I think that is the biggest mistake of the design. The Turn signals? easily adapted to. Hand-over-hand issues? nope, not once you get used to how to use it. Tight turns? nope, not a problem. Maybe if I was a rally car driver it might be a problem, but I don't make 90 degree turns at 60mph so I think I am good!
I have to make quite a few turns in Seattle where I'm making a right and then an immediate left, whether onto another road, or an alley or driveway or shopping strip etc etc. This is very difficult without stalks, as the yoke is upside down at that point, and finding the turn signals is near impossible. Multi-point turns are not as easy, etc etc.

As for using the yoke the rest of the time, that's been discussed to death. There's pretty much nothing better about it than a wheel, but lots worse. Unfortunately, with the way the dash is designed in these new S cars, a steering wheel might cause some other issues for tall ol' me (not being able to see the driver's display etc). Anyway, there you go.

I have to make quite a few turns in Seattle where I'm making a right and then an immediate left, whether onto another road, or an alley or driveway or shopping strip etc etc. This is very difficult without stalks, as the yoke is upside down at that point, and finding the turn signals is near impossible. Multi-point turns are not as easy, etc etc.

As for using the yoke the rest of the time, that's been discussed to death. There's pretty much nothing better about it than a wheel, but lots worse. Unfortunately, with the way the dash is designed in these new S cars, a steering wheel might cause some other issues for tall ol' me (not being able to see the driver's display etc). Anyway, there you go.
100%, I have been on those threads. I have not had the issues you refer to, I drive in Denver/Colorado Springs, I have some tight turns, but nothing that presents any significant complications. Wheel/yoke... I think it is just a preference, and I am glad there is an option. But.. you said it, opened the door (nothing better about the yoke?) so I am going to point out the benefits of the yoke:

• Stalks are old-school. Especially with multiple click points (like 3-blink vs turn signal-on) they are easy to mess up and forget (leave blinker on)
  • The Yoke presents a better field of vision for shorter drivers as well as a better gauge cluster view.
  • The Yoke gives more leg room compared to a wheel.
  • The Yoke forces good hand position.
  • The Yoke is a great throw-back to Knight Rider... you may not care but I do!

I’m 6’6” and have no problems in my MYP…don’t remember any of the 4 Tesla Models I test drove having an issue with either. Height doesn’t always tell the whole story really as some of the issues come down to long legs or being long waisted and not having head room. I’m pretty evenly proportioned so as far as being tall I’m pretty lucky there. However, I do use the ”manspread” technique while driving and have the issue of the center console digging into my knee on some vehicles I’ve owned in the past but not my Tesla. Your discovery is clever though, glad it works for ya!

I’m 6’6” and have no problems in my MYP…don’t remember any of the 4 Tesla Models I test drove having an issue with either. Height doesn’t always tell the whole story really as some of the issues come down to long legs or being long waisted and not having head room. I’m pretty evenly proportioned so as far as being tall I’m pretty lucky there. However, I do use the ”manspread” technique while driving and have the issue of the center console digging into my knee on some vehicles I’ve owned in the past but not my Tesla. Your discovery is clever though, glad it works for ya!
the MYLR or P is great for tall guys, my wife has one and I love it almost as much as my MSP. I am all torso... which has an odd effect on leg room oddly. It is the enter/exit that I prefer with the Yoke. I tilt it a bit to the right and my legs swing out nicely. A wheel always got in the way with rare exception.

100%, I have been on those threads. I have not had the issues you refer to, I drive in Denver/Colorado Springs, I have some tight turns, but nothing that presents any significant complications. Wheel/yoke... I think it is just a preference, and I am glad there is an option. But.. you said it, opened the door (nothing better about the yoke?) so I am going to point out the benefits of the yoke:

• Stalks are old-school. Especially with multiple click points (like 3-blink vs turn signal-on) they are easy to mess up and forget (leave blinker on)
  • The Yoke presents a better field of vision for shorter drivers as well as a better gauge cluster view.
  • The Yoke gives more leg room compared to a wheel.
  • The Yoke forces good hand position.
  • The Yoke is a great throw-back to Knight Rider... you may not care but I do!
To be fair, I was careful to, including italics, state that there's pretty much nothing better about the yoke. But since you started it (sorta..)

1.) Stalks are not old-school. I mean, cars in general are old school. Traveling on four stupid pieces of rubber is old-school. Also, no other current-model Tesla stalks have multiple click points.

2.) The yoke doesn't really make any difference for shorter drivers, because there are... *gasp* seat adjustments in every vehicle. Never did you hear the complaints about this until somehow the yoke was here to save us all, and now, all of a sudden, short people can finally drive and see their dash!

3.) The yoke absolutely does not provide more leg room compared to a wheel, unless you're using my first post as supporting evidence. In that case, sure. But the rest of the time, the yoke is annoyingly shaped and wide, which is why people slam into it getting in and out, and why all the yokes-are-peeling stories made it into the media.

4.) The yoke forces good hand position until you lose control of the car in the snow/ice. Then you're just flat-out screwed.

5.) The yoke is a throw-back to Knight Rider. Fine, you can have that one. Knight Rider was beyond awesome.

To be fair, I was careful to, including italics, state that there's pretty much nothing better about the yoke. But since you started it (sorta..)

1.) Stalks are not old-school. I mean, cars in general are old school. Traveling on four stupid pieces of rubber is old-school. Also, no other current-model Tesla stalks have multiple click points.

2.) The yoke doesn't really make any difference for shorter drivers, because there are... *gasp* seat adjustments in every vehicle. Never did you hear the complaints about this until somehow the yoke was here to save us all, and now, all of a sudden, short people can finally drive and see their dash!

3.) The yoke absolutely does not provide more leg room compared to a wheel, unless you're using my first post as supporting evidence. In that case, sure. But the rest of the time, the yoke is annoyingly shaped and wide, which is why people slam into it getting in and out, and why all the yokes-are-peeling stories made it into the media.

4.) The yoke forces good hand position until you lose control of the car in the snow/ice. Then you're just flat-out screwed.

5.) The yoke is a throw-back to Knight Rider. Fine, you can have that one. Knight Rider was beyond awesome.
  1. Well, we can agree to disagree with stalks. The 2021 Model Y does, I know because we have one. I do not like stalks, and you do! My wife likes hers too. My son likes the buttons... ergonomic preference.
  2. lol! you say seat adjustments like that is something I overlooked. No... I did not. ask any short old lady. Also, depending on your height, seat adjustments make you chose between the gauge cluster or unobstructed vision. A curse we will never experience. Also, you never heard a complaint about wheels because there was no option. Now there is, and some of us like it!
  3. Speak for yourself. I speak from my experience. It makes a difference... you can't tell me I am wrong from my experience. Maybe it doesn't matter for people with chicken legs, but my lambchop legs appreciate the extra clearance.
  4. What are you doing, trying to make a 3-point turns in a control-loss situation? No... just no. Sorry, you are objectively wrong here. I have driven and lost traction a few times this past winter. The Yoke didn't hinder my responses (Denver snow sucks). The inability to disable regenerative breaking causes more issues than a yoke, round or triangular wheel would.
  5. I am glad we can agree on one point lol!

All in good banter and fun my friend. Enjoy the round, some of us walk a different path.

Reactions: vcor
  1. Well, we can agree to disagree with stalks. The 2021 Model Y does, I know because we have one. I do not like stalks, and you do! My wife likes hers too. My son likes the buttons... ergonomic preference.
  2. lol! you say seat adjustments like that is something I overlooked. No... I did not. ask any short old lady. Also, depending on your height, seat adjustments make you chose between the gauge cluster or unobstructed vision. A curse we will never experience. Also, you never heard a complaint about wheels because there was no option. Now there is, and some of us like it!
  3. Speak for yourself. I speak from my experience. It makes a difference... you can't tell me I am wrong from my experience. Maybe it doesn't matter for people with chicken legs, but my lambchop legs appreciate the extra clearance.
  4. What are you doing, trying to make a 3-point turns in a control-loss situation? No... just no. Sorry, you are objectively wrong here. I have driven and lost traction a few times this past winter. The Yoke didn't hinder my responses (Denver snow sucks). The inability to disable regenerative breaking causes more issues than a yoke, round or triangular wheel would.
  5. I am glad we can agree on one point lol!

All in good banter and fun my friend. Enjoy the round, some of us walk a different path.
Yeah, can't be fooked to argue with you on anything other than the fact that your Y does not have multiple click points to get locked into. It ALWAYS reverts back to center when you let go of it, no matter how hard or soft you push it up or pull down. And with the latest software updates it turns itself off when you change lane, just like in the new S/X. You can't leave your turn signal on any more easily with your Model Y than your new Model S.

PS Banter? IS THAT WHAT THIS IS TO YOU?!

Last edited:
I’m 6’5” (Maybe 6’5½”) With a 36” inseam and love the driving position in my MYLR. I fit better than any other car I’ve driven. I honestly can‘t for the life of me fathom why anyone would compromise ergonomics and safety by going with a yoke. LIke @WilliamG said, basically nothing is better with the yoke. Some things may not be worse, but nothing is actually better. I recently posted an article discussing carmakers eschewing touchscreens for physical switches because they’re safer and people prefer them. The stalks are the same. I can operate a stalk blindly with gloves on with no confusion. The same can’t be said for touch-buttons on the yoke.

One of the most telling assessments came from a writer at Car and Driver who had been doing long term test drive on a Tesla with a yoke for a month. At the end of the month he had to make some tight maneuvers in a parking lot and was cursing the yoke the whole time. This is a driver that likely has more experience and breadth of experience than anyone here who had plenty of time to get accustomed to the yoke Yet it still caused issues.

Oh, and as far as the “planes use a yoke” argument, a car is not a plane. ‘Nuff said.

Reactions: WilliamG
...Why? Because you can do this when parked or for getting in and out. This is amazing. I’m also pretty much perplexed that it took me 2 years to figure this out… 🤦🏻‍♂️...

I am (or was) 6'5" also, with a chronically bad back. Here the trick I use in my Model X:

I set one saved position (for driver's seat and steering wheel) the way I want it when I am driving. The second stored position is with the steering wheel fully raised and forward, and the seat back and reclined. That is the Easy Access stored position.

When I enter or exist the car, the Easy Access position is automatically activated. When I get ready to drive, the other stored positions come into effect.

I am the only driver, so this works like a charm and I can continue to enjoy my old-school circular steering wheel.*

PM me if you have any questions about how to set that up.
_____
* When I watch Formula 1 racing the drivers look like they have so much trouble steering those cars (as they all have yoke-like steering wheels, now).

Last edited:
I fit better than any other car I’ve driven. I honestly can‘t for the life of me fathom why anyone would compromise ergonomics and safety by going with a yoke.
That's because the yoke has great ergonomics for many owners and improved safety.

As for ergonomics, every owner, no matter what size can see the entire instrument cluster. A round wheel can block the view, depending on the size of the owner and various wheel and seat positions. Then there is improved ventilation. With no obstructions, the venting system can direct air to your face (if you want it). That's harder to do with a round steering wheel.

As for safety, the yoke eliminates the risk that round wheels have where if you place your hands above the centerline. Should the airbag blow when your hands are in that position, it usually breaks your wrists and can even have your hands smash into your face. Now clearly an owner who knows better would not put their hands in that position, but few seem to understand the danger.

I have no problem that some like the old-style round wheel and/or can't adapt to something slightly different. Go with the round if that's your thing, but there are advantages to each design. For me, I'd never want to go back to round. I have zero issues with parking, 3-point turns, or roundabouts either, but it does take a few weeks to get used to it at first. It seems some can't adjust to the yoke, and it's great that Tesla provides the old round wheel as an option for those owners.

Now stalks and the horn are different issues, but unrelated to an owner's round vs. yoke choice.

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
That's because the yoke has great ergonomics for many owners and improved safety.

As for ergonomics, every owner, no matter what size can see the entire instrument cluster. A round wheel can block the view, depending on the size of the owner and various wheel and seat positions. Then there is improved ventilation. With no obstructions, the venting system can direct air to your face (if you want it). That's harder to do with a round steering wheel.

As for safety, the yoke eliminates the risk that round wheels have where if you place your hands above the centerline. Should the airbag blow when your hands are in that position, it usually breaks your wrists and can even have your hands smash into your face. Now clearly an owner who knows better would not put their hands in that position, but few seem to understand the danger.

I have no problem that some like the old-style round wheel and/or can't adapt to something slightly different. Go with the round if that's your thing, but there are advantages to each design. For me, I'd never want to go back to round. I have zero issues with parking, 3-point turns, or roundabouts either, but it does take a few weeks to get used to it at first. It seems some can't adjust to the yoke, and it's great that Tesla provides the old round wheel as an option for those owners.

Now stalks and the horn are different issues, but unrelated to an owner's round vs. yoke choice.
Sigh - still repeating all the debunked and flat out wrong excuses.

”a round wheel can block the view” - see this post. If the wheel is blocking the view then the car is designed poorly. Using a flawed control mechanism to fix a flawed design is simply flawed reasoning. If you have a model Y or 3 you don’t even have a dashboard!

”improved ventilation” - has never been an issue in any car I’ve owned; in my model Y it goes straight through. If the ventilation is poor it’s not because of the wheel. (I’ve also seen exactly zero people complaining about the ventilation of their cars And the exclaiming “thank God I got that yoke! Now I can breathe!”

”eliminates airbag risk” - seriously? If you are actulaly trying to use this as an excuse then it also increases the risk because it forces you to have your arms in the wrong position. If we’re talking about risk, lets talk about the fact that there it’s awkward to grab when turning, there are fewer places to grab and it’s easy to miss, especially in an emergency.

Stalks and horn are part and parcel because Tesla doubled down on their idiocy by removing them and putting touch buttons on the yoke.

Congratulations on adapting to an inferior control mechanism but don’t try to justify it’s limitations.

Sigh - still repeating all the debunked and flat out wrong excuses.

”a round wheel can block the view” - see this post. If the wheel is blocking the view then the car is designed poorly. Using a flawed control mechanism to fix a flawed design is simply flawed reasoning. If you have a model Y or 3 you don’t even have a dashboard!

”improved ventilation” - has never been an issue in any car I’ve owned; in my model Y it goes straight through. If the ventilation is poor it’s not because of the wheel. (I’ve also seen exactly zero people complaining about the ventilation of their cars And the exclaiming “thank God I got that yoke! Now I can breathe!”

”eliminates airbag risk” - seriously? If you are actulaly trying to use this as an excuse then it also increases the risk because it forces you to have your arms in the wrong position. If we’re talking about risk, lets talk about the fact that there it’s awkward to grab when turning, there are fewer places to grab and it’s easy to miss, especially in an emergency.

Stalks and horn are part and parcel because Tesla doubled down on their idiocy by removing them and putting touch buttons on the yoke.

Congratulations on adapting to an inferior control mechanism but don’t try to justify it’s limitations.
You're dead on. It's just people adapting to an inferior control mechanism and then proclaiming it's awesome. There would be a rush on yokes in other manufacturers' cars if it were better. The yoke is a joke. Is it nice on straight roads? Absolutely. Is it inferior in EVERY aspect the rest of the time? 100%.

The yoke coupled with the gear selector = two-three times as long to maneuver (turn around/3-point turn) than the same maneuver in e.g. a Model 3.