Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you who picked up an existing inventory car while you had another car ordered...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually did this early this morning. Ordered on 1/10. Same config showed as available and I purchased it. Didn’t want to not get it because my SA didn’t get in until 10a.

Called my SA - he pulled up both reservations. He is matching the VIN from my new order to the original reservation. It was an easy process - took about 10 min.

I just ordered one from inventory this morning... Different color and wheels than my original order. Both orders are currently active, and I don't plan to cancel one until the other is in hand. Especially as "in inventory in Santa Barbara" actually meant "still in Fremont"

I did this on Wednesday and managed to pick up my car that same day!

Unfortunately I had to eat the $100 fee on the new order, and just cancelled the old one after delivery. Not sure why they couldn't pull the VIN on the new car to my old order, but there was some kind of bug in their new system and I really didn't want to risk losing the car or having to wait another 6 weeks. I placed the new order at 3am right after the car popped up in inventory (I had an alert set, seems 3am is the time to check for SoCal)

The whole process was amazing, and they really went above and beyond to get me in the car that day. In love with it already.

Unfortunately I had to eat the $100 fee on the new order, and just cancelled the old one after delivery. Not sure why they couldn't pull the VIN on the new car to my old order, but there was some kind of bug in their new system and I really didn't want to risk losing the car or having to wait another 6 weeks. I placed the new order at 3am right after the car popped up in inventory (I had an alert set, seems 3am is the time to check for SoCal)

The whole process was amazing, and they really went above and beyond to get me in the car that day. In love with it already.

You need to ask for a refund of your $100 now that you have your car. That’s ridiculous for them to think they can keep it. You bought a car from them. It’s not your fault they don’t know how to assign a different VIN to your reservation.

Correct... Has not left the factory yet. I clicked "buy" this morning with afternoon-road-trip-to-Santa-Barbara on my mind... But that wasn't the case, and now the chances of me canceling that order are growing exponentially by the hour.
Yeah.. this is the sort of thing that makes me question the company. They know exactly where these cars are so how does this happen?

Reactions: SteveS1979
I had a multiple spec orders and inventory orders in my account at the same time. Nobody cared. The sales person encouraged me to click buy on whatever I saw was available.

When I got delivery notice for the car I wanted most from that list, I cancelled the others.

In my market though there was a high but fully refundable deposit. So I lost nothing from the ordeal. They did get multiple thousands of my dollars as "float"

I also did this this past weekend. Ordered a SR base with no custom. Found a SR+ with the color I want in Ohio, and notified my SA. He was able to switch it, and I'm now scheduled to pick it up on 2/15. Unfortunately I'm several thousands more than I had planned (I did plan to upgrade/software unlock eventually to SR+).

How did you set up an alert?

You need to ask for a refund of your $100 now that you have your car. That’s ridiculous for them to think they can keep it. You bought a car from them. It’s not your fault they don’t know how to assign a different VIN to your reservation.

I custom ordered an X in June; the next day my config popped up in inventory, so I jumped on it. Ended up eating the $100 canceling the “custom” order but was more than happy to do so.
The advisor told me that if he matched the VIN across to the custom order, I wouldn’t get the free Supercharging for life promo. That only works with an inventory order.

Best $100 I’ve ever spent.

I custom ordered an X in June; the next day my config popped up in inventory, so I jumped on it. Ended up eating the $100 canceling the “custom” order but was more than happy to do so.
The advisor told me that if he matched the VIN across to the custom order, I wouldn’t get the free Supercharging for life promo. That only works with an inventory order.

Best $100 I’ve ever spent.
I’m glad that worked out for you! If my SA is unresponsive to my email - this was over the weekend so I’m not busting his chops on this - would any sales advisor I would attempt to call or contact be able to change the VIN from the existing inventory to my order?

I also noticed that In my current order, my transportation & document fees are $1200. But when I choose my delivery zip code (Texas) for the existing inventory order, it showed estimated transportation fees of $2000. Would it actually be that much more if I tried an existing order? They are both in NoCal and would delivered to Texas.
Hypothetically, would I be able to fly to the location of where my car is (custom order or existing inventory) and pick up there car there and avoid $1200/2000 transportation fees?

I’m glad that worked out for you! If my SA is unresponsive to my email - this was over the weekend so I’m not busting his chops on this - would any sales advisor I would attempt to call or contact be able to change the VIN from the existing inventory to my order?

Yes! You can also initiate a chat session on the website and they can route you to someone who can assist. Doesn’t have to be your SA.