Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Blue Cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Ford has announced their lane keeping/adaptive cruise control, comparing themselves to Tesla and GM. Not limited to the Mach E, the article said it would be for the F150 too! True hands off, a camera watches you. The description sounded good until I got to the ‘prequalified highways.” Wonder if this means, like GM, it only works on a small percentage of US roads. Other than that, bravo and welcome to the club. The driving world slowly gets safer.

"Qualified roads" is something they can likely expand on quite rapidly. It's just a matter of collecting data from their fleet of vehicles, processing it, and adding to the database. Same as Tesla has been doing. I wouldn't let that deter decision making.

That's awesome. If it's anything like SuperCruise, this will be a game changer for Ford.

And yes, I really hope Tesla takes notice. $600 for this system, vs $10,000 for Tesla's "Full self driving that doesn't fully self drive."
Well you do get lane keeping and TACC with the Tesla standard now. Used to have to pay extra for that.

But I do agree 10k is way too much for current FSD functionality.

Last edited:
I think this will put enormous cost pressure on Tesla to bring back EAP, possibly at a lower cost point. Ford is building this in as a $600 option.
You must be new here. 🙂 I don’t think Elon cares what Ford is charging for their version of AP, especially since he won’t consider it comparable to Tesla’s implementation (even if some customers don’t agree).

Well you do get lane keeping and TACC with the Tesla standard now. Used to have to pay extra for that.

But I do agree 10k is way too much for current FSD functionality.

Yeah agreed. Cool that the 'base price' includes basic autopilot, but with ford, for only $600 more, I can take my hands off the wheel. that's nice.

I'm still not sure why Tesla hasn't added eye tracking or some other way to monitor interaction by this point.

Yeah agreed. Cool that the 'base price' includes basic autopilot, but with ford, for only $600 more, I can take my hands off the wheel. that's nice.

These costs sound higher for Ford.

“Ford’s BlueCruise will vary depending on the vehicle that is being driven. It will cost $1,595 in the F-150 pickup and $3,200 in the Mach-E, Fox Autos said. It will require a three-year, $600 subscription to connected service in the all-electric Mach-E and will be updated through Over-the-Air software updates.”

And as far as taking your hand off the wheel, I honestly prefer leaving my hand on the wheel. I can feel what the car is doing right away and react much quicker if needed. Hands free is overblown until you can trust to look away and actually do work/read as well. I just rest my hand at 7 o’clock and not bothered by the nag. City driving may change my behavior a bit due to the amount of turning of course.

Last edited:
I realize back roads are some of the more challenging areas for these systems to handle, but I never use it there. Actually, if it's windy at all, I enjoy driving the car myself. It's engaging and fun. Highway performance is a different story as that kind of driving is monotonous and boring. If the cars can navigate highways without freaking out, I'd call that a win. Hence why AP1 is still a good system as it is "good enough for the girls I go out with."

Reactions: AustinP
I'm not sure what BlueCruise will offer over Co-Pilot. In the video above it sure looked like hands off while the car navigated a country road. What would BlueCruise add? As much as FSD? Just wondering, because the price difference is spectacular (in Ford's favor).

I'm not sure what BlueCruise will offer over Co-Pilot. In the video above it sure looked like hands off while the car navigated a country road. What would BlueCruise add? As much as FSD? Just wondering, because the price difference is spectacular (in Ford's favor).
Hands off? It borked almost every significant turn, going into the oncoming lane and not slowing down for the sharper ones. I wouldn’t call that hands off, unless you want to die.

Are you all really comparing this to the cost of FSD....which drives through city streets and intersections?
Are you all really comparing this to the cost of FSD....which drives through city streets and intersections?

At best it should be compared to EAP, but even then it’s only limited to select mapped roadways and I bet it won’t take interchanges.

And when the map needs updates, I bet you have to take it in to the dealer and there will be a mapping update charge...

There’s a massive price difference because there’s a massive difference in functionality.

I can’t wait for the direct comparisons when BlueCruise comes out and Tesla’s FSD is public. It will be a joy to watch.

I have to agree with the above post. From what I saw the blue cruise simply does the very basic of lane keeping and aware cruise control (ie distance following)
that comes on every Tesla as standard. I had EAP on my MS for a few years and to me there was a big difference in being able to change lanes with a blinker on a road trip vs uncoupling and changing lane and engaging AP again. That’s just one example.
my point is simply tracking a lane with TACC (only on specific hwys) doesn’t seem like much of a deal for that cost.
Am I missing something?