Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Decides to Double Production Plan for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ford announced this week a plan to double its electric vehicle production.

The company originally planned to build 300,000 units by 2023, but has ramped that number up to 600,000. Additionally, the company has secured a semiconductor contract with GlobalFoundries to support the manufacturing plan.

Chief Executive Jim Farley tweeted his excitement for the plan, which is to become the second-largest EV producer in the world “within the next couple years.” Farley expects the Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning, and E-Transit van to lead the company’s sales of EVs. He also hinted that the company has plans for additional electric models.

While doubling production to 600,000 EVs is a strong commitment it represents just 10% of Ford’s current production. The company has said it hopes for EVs to make up 40% of sales by 2030.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: drift
Yup. Seems like F150 Lightning deliveries are delayed to September, 2022.

Sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding. What got doubled is the wait until delivery starts.

Reactions: Ogre
I'm in two minds about this:

On the one hand I'd like all vehicles to be EVs

but on the other hand I don't want the companies who have been dragged kicking and screaming into the EV world after doing everything they could to destroy it and weaken cafe standards to be a part of it. Certainly not to posture and present themselves as leaders in the field

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
I'm in two minds about this:

On the one hand I'd like all vehicles to be EVs

but on the other hand I don't want the companies who have been dragged kicking and screaming into the EV world after doing everything they could to destroy it and weaken cafe standards to be a part of it. Certainly not to posture and present themselves as leaders in the field

They dragged and kicked when everyone moved to smaller engines with turbos.......they'll be fine

Reactions: raptor5244
I don't really understand what it is that you're trying to say, but I doubt, despite your protestations to the contrary, that they'll be "fine"

tbh, I'm not sure if your posts in this thread are serious or ironic

I don’t understand what it is you’re trying say? You think GM and Ford are going to go extinct because of EVs? You realize Ford and GM are global with Government contracts in different country’s, it’s not like their only business is retail. EV’s will not be the end of them, they are adjusting slowly but surely.Trust me when I tell you that Tesla isn’t everyone’s preferred cup of tea.

Last edited:
Reactions: raptor5244
I don’t understand what it is you’re trying say? You think GM and Ford are going to go extinct because of EVs? You realize Ford and GM are global with Government contracts in different country’s, it’s not like their only business is retail. EV’s will not be the end of them, they are adjusting slowly but surely.Trust me when I tell you that Tesla isn’t everyone’s preferred cup of tea.

Not extinct, but they'll be a shadow of their former selves (already are really if you think about it). I think the "slowly" part of their adjustment (such as it is) is an indicator of that

You just said: "Ford and GM can suck at the teats of various governments to keep them afloat" That's not really a healthy prognosis

And I understand "Tesla isn't everyone's preferred cup of tea" but neither were Japanese cars in the seventies, or for that matter any cars in the early twentieth century, yet here we are

Not extinct, but they'll be a shadow of their former selves (already are really if you think about it). I think the "slowly" part of their adjustment (such as it is) is an indicator of that

You just said: "Ford and GM can suck at the teats of various governments to keep them afloat" That's not really a healthy prognosis

And I understand "Tesla isn't everyone's preferred cup of tea" but neither were Japanese cars in the seventies, or for that matter any cars in the early twentieth century, yet here we are
We are really just talking about migrating the powertrain so all these traditional automakers will be fine. They have the tools and the talent so most will adapt and survive this transition. We are seeing newcomers to the industry as well, which should help drive more innovation in the auto industry and is long overdue.

Keep in mind Tesla really only has two vehicles (M3/MY, which are basically the same) that are "somewhat" affordable. The least expensive Tesla now has a $50k cost of entry once you figure destination and sales tax, which gets you a relatively small sedan with a basic interior and less than average fit and finish. Once we start seeing BEV powertrains as the norm manufacturers will be measured on their styling, interiors, features, comfort, driving dynamics, etc. Tesla has had the early mover advantage but the market is too big for just Tesla and we will need many manufacturers to make this transition.

• Funny
That's today's quote

The quote from 1971 was: "GM sells 10M cars a year vs. Toyota 700k"
Toyota's claim to fame was quality and reliability at affordable price points. Toyota may seem like a latecomer to BEV but it looks like they are using their depth and breadth in technology to make this transition. They have affordable cars, trucks, suvs in multiple powertrain configurations. They also have the upscale Lexus lineup. If you think about it, all they have to do is simply start offering BEV powertrains with their existing extremely well made and reliable vehicles and they would instantly be the leader in BEVs. The market needed a company/leader like Tesla to challenge the industry and it looks like it is working as all the manufacturers now have an EV roadmap. They also see what Tesla stock has done and they want to follow the money.

• Funny
Toyota's claim to fame was quality and reliability at affordable price points. Toyota may seem like a latecomer to BEV but it looks like they are using their depth and breadth in technology to make this transition. They have affordable cars, trucks, suvs in multiple powertrain configurations. They also have the upscale Lexus lineup. If you think about it, all they have to do is simply start offering BEV powertrains with their existing extremely well made and reliable vehicles and they would instantly be the leader in BEVs. The market needed a company/leader like Tesla to challenge the industry and it looks like it is working as all the manufacturers now have an EV roadmap. They also see what Tesla stock has done and they want to follow the money.

ROFL.

Took me a moment to realize this was meant as a parody post.

Toyota just needs to flip the “Make BEV switch” and they can switch over production to BEV and live happily ever after.

People started to buy Japanese cars because they were better cars.
People are buying Teslas because they are better cars. The EV thing is secondary.
GM and Ford failed to make better cars then, they are failing to make better cars now.
It is a transformative step in history, it's is not just replacing one engine with another. It's not about engine at all.

People started to buy Japanese cars because they were better cars.
People are buying Teslas because they are better cars. The EV thing is secondary.
GM and Ford failed to make better cars then, they are failing to make better cars now.
It is a transformative step in history, it's is not just replacing one engine with another. It's not about engine at all.
I tend to agree and most will now argue that Toyota lags behind many other brands in terms of tech, styling, powertrain, handling, etc. I love that Tesla has forced all the other manufactures to improve their products. I love what competition does to the market and how it moves us forward.

I do think our Tesla Model 3 is a better daily driver in just about every way but after 2.5 years of ownership I feel that most manufactures will be on par pretty soon and they will have more offers, great interiors OTA updates, AI features. The Ford F-150 looks like it will be a winner, the EV Silverado is supposed to debut next month. Deliveries of the EV Hummer started this month. Dodge is planning to release eMusclecars in 2024. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tesla but I don't want the auto industry to be like an iPhone where you just trade in every 2-3 years and pick a new color. I hope we still have lots of choices, brands, styling, performance options, etc.

I tend to agree and most will now argue that Toyota lags behind many other brands in terms of tech, styling, powertrain, handling, etc. I love that Tesla has forced all the other manufactures to improve their products. I love what competition does to the market and how it moves us forward.

I do think our Tesla Model 3 is a better daily driver in just about every way but after 2.5 years of ownership I feel that most manufactures will be on par pretty soon and they will have more offers, great interiors OTA updates, AI features. The Ford F-150 looks like it will be a winner, the EV Silverado is supposed to debut next month. Deliveries of the EV Hummer started this month. Dodge is planning to release eMusclecars in 2024. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tesla but I don't want the auto industry to be like an iPhone where you just trade in every 2-3 years and pick a new color. I hope we still have lots of choices, brands, styling, performance options, etc.
Some 13 years ago .... still waiting...

ROFL.

Took me a moment to realize this was meant as a parody post.

Toyota just needs to flip the “Make BEV switch” and they can switch over production to BEV and live happily ever after.
I realize I am oversimplifying but I think one would be naive to think that a company like Toyota can't compete. In fact their strategy of offering ICE, hybrids and BEVs with a slower transition to BEV over time is pretty sound model for an incumbent. You have to remember that the majority of the population can't afford a $50k+ Tesla and not everyone lives in a single family home with a 50amp circuit in the garage. At these prices this will be a very slow transition to BEV. We need BEV Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics.

Saw this week, pics of what appears to be a BEV Tacoma. Something like this would interest me a lot more than a Cybertruck.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 7.04.07 PM.png

The list here is getting a bit longer, which is great and in most part thanks to Tesla. This was their goal all along wasn't it? I remember Elon saying they didn't know of they would even produce EVs long term. They just wanted to kick start the market and drive the transition.

Reactions: Ogre and T3SLAROD