Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Ford Building More EV Mustangs than Gas Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A new report from Bloomberg says Ford is building more electric Mustang Mach Mach-E vehicles than the traditional gas-powered Mustang.

“Ford has built 27,816 electric Mustang Mach-E models at a plant in Mexico this year compared to 26,089 copies of the traditional internal combustion engine Mustang at a factory in Michigan, according to production data the automaker released Thursday,” the report said.

It’s quite a milestone given Mustang’s nearly 60-year legacy and the fact that the Mach-E is a fresh entrant to the market. 

Ford Chief Executive Officer Jim Farley said the Mach-E has been a hit.

“Mach-E has been much stronger than we expected, so we’ve totally run out of stock,” Farley told reporters at the introduction of the electric F-150 Lightning pickup May 19, according to Bloomberg.

Farley said he expects four-in-10 Fords to be electric by 2030. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh.... Surely "not demand issues" shortly after fulfilling pre-order reservations.... That's a Tesla-only phenomenon. :D

Look at Tesla Model Y. How many changes has Tesla made to MY after release in early 2020? Probably at least a dozen hardware changes, plus another dozen or more firmware changes, and a dozen price changes ;). With a Tesla you get rapid design iteration and updates.

Has anything changed or been updated with the Mustang since release?

For example, when will Ford add a heat-pump? I'm talking about a heat-pump that actually works and not like the VW heat-pump that doesn't do anything where VW had to refund prior customers and lower prices (Volkswagen refunds ID.3 and ID.4 owners for underperforming heat pump, cuts price for option in new cars [Update] - Drive Tesla Canada).

Month over month, Mach-E sales in the US keep going down.

January 2021 -238
February 2021 - 3,739
March 2021 - 2,637
April 2021 - 1,951
May 2021 - 1,945

Reactions: rxlawdude
Part of the reason: Ford didn't build ICE Mustangs last month.
From the linked article:
Ford’s Flat Rock, Michigan, factory built no gas Mustangs last month, according to the production data.
“To be fair, please keep in mind that Mustang and Flat Rock have been impacted by outside factors, which has been the semiconductor chip shortage.”

The writing on the wall is next to the non-functional or non-existent CCS charging station you need to continue your trip without waiting 8 hours to Level 2 charge. The writing typically contains unprintable words.
I love it when Tesla drivers who have never seen, needed, or used a CCS station whine about them being broken or non-existent. :rolleyes:

I love peopke in de Nile. 😍
And how many CCS/Chademo stations have you personally tried to use? How many of them haven't worked?

I have used a bunch of Chademo sations, on different networks, some free, some paid. Mostly back in the days when superchargers were less common in the Northeast.

Guess how many times I couldn't charge at a Chademo? None. 0. Nada.

Guess how many times I couldn't charge at a supercharger because the entire station was down? Twice. Granted, one was due to a power outage at the site. The other was entirely Tesla's fault. And the supercharge outage was not noted in the nav system; it routed me through the dead supercharger. I had to go wait in line behind other Teslas, and camp out on an 80A HPWC for a hour (I have dual chargers), to get enough power to get over the mountains and make it to a Chademo for the extra boost I needed to get home.

Granted, not a statistically significant sample set, but enough for me to declare the "Tesla superchargers rock; all non-Tesla charging networks suck" mantra as Tesla fanboi FUD.

Reactions: Doc Brown
Granted, not a statistically significant sample set, but enough for me to declare the "Tesla superchargers rock; all non-Tesla charging networks suck" mantra as Tesla fanboi FUD.
yep - it’s FUD the Tesla fanboi’s spread to undermine any EV other than Tesla. Makes no sense - if they subscribe to the very reason Tesla exists. I have yet to have an issue with a CCS charger.

Reactions: mk677
yep - it’s FUD the Tesla fanboi’s spread to undermine any EV other than Tesla. Makes no sense - if they subscribe to the very reason Tesla exists. I have yet to have an issue with a CCS charger.
Road tripping, say over 500 miles a day? How's that working out?

And then there is the panoply of CCS station operators. No integration with vehicles.

Sorry, it ain't FUD when a Tesla can drive virtually anywhere in the continental US, perhaps overnight destination charging, and it's plug-and-play.

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476 and mk677
Yup. Whenever you see a picture of an Electrify America station it usually shows all of the stalls, usually a handful. This video is recent as is the Mustang and represents their reality no matter how they want to deny it.

Contrast that with the number of Tesla SuperCharger stalls in a station. I admit that I live in Bay Area California so I'm a bit spoiled and stations with a minimum of dozen(s) of stalls. Plug in an go. Going thousands of miles on a Tesla roadtrip is common and convenient fast charging is a given.

Road tripping, say over 500 miles a day? How's that working out?

And then there is the panoply of CCS station operators. No integration with vehicles.

Sorry, it ain't FUD when a Tesla can drive virtually anywhere in the continental US, perhaps overnight destination charging, and it's plug-and-play.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Remember, Tesla's original goal was to show other car makers that EVs were viable and saleable. They opened up their blueprints and gave them to anyone who wanted them, in order to get EVs on the road. Mustang building EVs is exactly what Tesla was after. The more EVs on the road, the better off we'll all be.

Reactions: mark95476
Remember, Tesla's original goal was to show other car makers that EVs were viable and saleable. They opened up their blueprints and gave them to anyone who wanted them, in order to get EVs on the road. Mustang building EVs is exactly what Tesla was after. The more EVs on the road, the better off we'll all be.
Agree. But I get mightely peeved that anyone would assert the non-Tesla DCFC networks are adequate to support the flexibility that Tesla offers. CCS is at around the state that Supercharging was in 2013-14. And again, multiple players and multiple pricing and "membership" requirements for these.

A consistent interface that allows plug-and-play is also something DCFC does not currently (pun!) have.

So while I love more EVs on the market, I detest false claims of equivalency between SCs and CCS stations.

• Disagree
Reactions: mk677 and mark95476
The multiple network thing didn't bother me too much, had another EV with CCS. Swiping the EVgo and Chargepoint cards before your charge wasn't really that big a deal. Maybe adds another 10 seconds to your charge time.
Your longest single-day roadtrip drive and time was ... ?? I'm not knocking CCS (although that Frankenconnector looks so... 1990s), just those who seem to feel it's anywhere near the Tesla network. When newbies take their Mach-e or Taycan or ID.4 on the road, will the dearth of charging (again relative to the SC network) cause blowback against all EVs?

• Disagree
Reactions: mk677 and mark95476
Your longest single-day roadtrip drive and time was ... ?? I'm not knocking CCS (although that Frankenconnector looks so... 1990s), just those who seem to feel it's anywhere near the Tesla network. When newbies take their Mach-e or Taycan or ID.4 on the road, will the dearth of charging (again relative to the SC network) cause blowback against all EVs?
dearth of charging? really? if you combine all the chargepoint, greenlots, EVgo, EA, and numerous other networks there are almost as many and more geographical area covered by those stations than tesla's superchargers

dearth of charging? really? if you combine all the chargepoint, greenlots, EVgo, EA, and numerous other networks there are almost as many and more geographical area covered by those stations than tesla's superchargers
How many subscriptions and monthly fees to use all of those? How many cards or rfid tags?

#notuptosuperchargingconvenience

And @Cheburashka hasn't related his great road tripping experience. I'm waiting for his answers to a couple of very simple questions.

How many subscriptions and monthly fees to use all of those? How many cards or rfid tags?

#notuptosuperchargingconvenience

And @Cheburashka hasn't related his great road tripping experience. I'm waiting for his answers to a couple of very simple questions.

No subscriptions needed for either. Could also tap your phone to activate the charger too. It's definitely less convenient than Tesla SC, no arguing that, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

As for road trips, I think it depends on where you are going. It's the same reason that people want CCS adapters and the Chademo has a reason to exist. Generally the SC network is much better but there are places with DCFC without Tesla chargers.

I returned that lease back in 2019, but at that point the DCFC chargers were often empty while Superchargers were packed. It's gotten better since then for Supercharger access, at least here in the Bay Area.