Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Raises BlueCruise Subscription By As Much As 300% To $800 Per Year On Mustang Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVNow

Sep 5, 2009
Seattle, WA

Functionality similar to basic free AP now costs half the FSD subscription cost on Mach-E.

“Ford is changing the way it offers BlueCruise to customers,” it wrote in the comment. “Renewal for Mustang Mach-E, excluding certain model year 2021 vehicles, is $800 per year or $75 per month at the end of any initial subscription or trial period.”

• Informative
Reactions: VanFriscia
Do they have BlueCruise on gas cars too?

Will be very interesting to see what the take rate is at $800 a year.
Yes, Blue Cruise is available on some gas vehicles.

In functionality Blue Cruise is just shy of EAP than an FSD competitor. BC was kinda rough when I used it on my Lightning last summer, but the eye tracking for enabling hands free driving was faultless. I never had one false positive, even driving at night or when wearing sunglasses. Unlike basic AP, you can change lanes manually with the system engaged if you turn on your signal. The system automatically reengages when you get to the next lane.

I'd like to think it's better now, 9-10 months after I tried it. I hate subscriptions, but for something that is being improved and expanded, an $800 annual subscription is pretty reasonable, especially when you compare it a $6k flat fee for EAP or a $15k flat fee, $2400/year for FSD.

Reactions: ArchHamster
Yes, Blue Cruise is available on some gas vehicles.

In functionality Blue Cruise is just shy of EAP than an FSD competitor. BC was kinda rough when I used it on my Lightning last summer, but the eye tracking for enabling hands free driving was faultless. I never had one false positive, even driving at night or when wearing sunglasses. Unlike basic AP, you can change lanes manually with the system engaged if you turn on your signal. The system automatically reengages when you get to the next lane.

I'd like to think it's better now, 9-10 months after I tried it. I hate subscriptions, but for something that is being improved and expanded, an $800 annual subscription is pretty reasonable, especially when you compare it a $6k flat fee for EAP or a $15k flat fee, $2400/year for FSD.
Isn't it more like AP - but with some hands free ?

Because it doesn't change the lane for you (when you signal), right ?

There are lots of reports of BC hands free going off without notice suddenly (and often). Also people are complaining about the camera not allowing you to drink coffee ;)

AP has a huge restriction in that you have to turn it off if you want to change lanes, so I think of BC as more like EAP because you don't have to do that, and it does offer hands free in a lot of places, but it's not exactly like EAP either.

Yes, BC would sometimes turn off at random, and there wasn't a chime to indicate this. This is one of the bugs that made me say it was "kinda rough." However, I had no problem drinking coffee, water, beer, or whiskey (just kidding, I don't drink water) while using Blue Cruise. There is a grace period of a few seconds before it sounds its tone for you to keep your eyes on the road.

And nobody mentioned this, but new cars come with 3 years worth of BC as part of the purchase price of the vehicle.

AP has a huge restriction in that you have to turn it off if you want to change lanes, so I think of BC as more like EAP because you don't have to do that, and it does offer hands free in a lot of places, but it's not exactly like EAP either.
But EAP will change the lane for you - which is a huge capability that BC is missing. I know you have to disengage AP and re-engage ... but that's an inconvenience. BC is basically lane keeping TACC and you can take your hands off the wheel when it allows.

And nobody mentioned this, but new cars come with 3 years worth of BC as part of the purchase price of the vehicle.
I guess they are thinking people get so used to BC - they will pay $800 a year for it. I don't know whether we'll ever see the take rates, but I expect that to be low.

It is like all the connectivity stuff GM and Toyota offer for 1 year (?) and want us to subscribe to get afterwards. I don't think many do.

Ofcourse FSD take rates are low too.

Reactions: VanFriscia
I wouldn't pay for BC at this stage of its development. I gripe about vision-based AP being a big step back from radar, but BC was way too unpredictable. IThe truck would ping-pong in its lane, turn off randomly, could not negotiate curves very well, and it could not maintain a short enough following distance consistent with human behavior.

Credit where it is due though, they got the eye-tracking thing down. I thought it really did a good job at monitoring whether you were watching the road or not. I couldn't even stare at the gauge cluster for 5 seconds because it knew I wasn't actually looking at where the truck was going, and the complete lack of false positives was great. It surprised me.

Unlike FSD or EAP, however, BC is "free" for 3 years which gives Ford time to shape it up before they start hitting you up. OTA updates kinda suck since manufacturers can now sell promises instead of a real features. Tesla isn't the only one playing that game.

The new version of BlueCruise, 1.2, will change lanes for you when you signal, and is much better than the prior version.

Out of Spec rates it better than basic AP now, even though AP appears to drive better. (It went from a score of -4 to 15 on their "torture" test.)

1684779991769.png

They really need to do the same test with FSD to show how much better it is than basic AP.