Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 40% more efficient than Mustang Mach E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Batteries degrade--it's something that nearly all Tesla owners fret about. There were ~500,000 M3s that told me the battery and drivetrain I was getting in the MY was good.

I don't know who is supplying Ford with their batteries, but I'm sure we'll be hearing about how things wind-up. LG is a big player in batteries and I think they had a rather large recall.

The biggest constraint for any manufacturer will be battery supply. Tesla definitely has an edge in terms of ensuring a high volume of battery supply. Ford probably could sell more than 60,000 globally if they could get more batteries.

For the initial launch and effort, you still have to be impressed with the range these cars are getting. Sure, they're doing it with a 100 kWh pack (88 kWh usable) but at the end of the day, the consumer doesn't care if they get 300 miles with a bigger battery.

Reactions: timeshifter
Batteries degrade--it's something that nearly all Tesla owners fret about. There were ~500,000 M3s that told me the battery and drivetrain I was getting in the MY was good.

I don't know who is supplying Ford with their batteries, but I'm sure we'll be hearing about how things wind-up. LG is a big player in batteries and I think they had a rather large recall.
Good thing Ford has about 12 kWh to unlock, most likely a safety net until they get a good idea on the battery degradation.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Is Ford using that 12kWh as an expendable degradation buffer?

The battery is heaviest (reduces range) and the most expensive part of an EV. Tesla probably gets the best prices for their batteries and Ford is adding ~25% extra capacity in their vehicle.

Good thing Ford has about 12 kWh to unlock, most likely a safety net until they get a good idea on the battery degradation.

Is Ford using that 12kWh as an expendable degradation buffer?

The battery is heaviest (reduces range) and the most expensive part of an EV. Tesla probably gets the best prices for their batteries and Ford is adding ~25% extra capacity in their vehicle.
Mach-E owners believe so.
The battery weights about 13xx lbs, compared to the Y's battery 1056. This is where most of the weight difference comes from but it doesn't seem to hurt efficiency too much, at least in good temps (50+F)

Reactions: imola.zhp
I think their 225 tires are giving them better efficiency and range. Those tires wouldn't work for the driving that I've been doing. It definitely wouldn't work on this Porsche I was chasing this past Sunday.

MY_vs_Porsche.jpg

We have someone on this forum that put M3 Aeros (235 tires) on their Y and they got a significant boost in highway range.

Mach-E owners believe so.
The battery weights about 13xx lbs, compared to the Y's battery 1056. This is where most of the weight difference comes from but it doesn't seem to hurt efficiency too much, at least in good temps (50+F)

Reactions: pt19713
I would have considered the Mach-E if it was readily available 2 months ago.

Maybe the next car... or the ID4.
Same here. I've been waiting a long time to upgrade to an EV and this year the timing was right, so I got a Model Y Standard Range in March.

I think I could be happy with the ID.4 or the Mach-E. But there are two big problems right now. One, I can't really get either car. Couldn't even drive an ID.4 in February / March. Was able to drive a Mach-E. Ordering and getting one in a reasonable amount of time was not going to happen.

Two, which is the biggest hurdle, is track record. Forget the EV vs ICE thing. Just think about them as cars. One maker has sold 1/2 a million of one and 100,000 of it's sister so far (Model 3 and Model Y). The other two are brand new cars. I don't have the kind of money laying around where I can be an early adopter of a $40,000 item.

Patience does have some payoff. I really wanted to get the MY last year, especially when Elon said that the SR will not be released... but right before I was going to order an LR, they surprised us with the SR and good thing I jumped on it because it's no longer around.

I'm doing to do the same thing for the CT, wait until the RWD comes out which will give it time for the wrinkles to be ironed out and then either get it or see if there is a better etruck available (doubtful for $40k).

It's exciting that there are options available... over time the Mach-E may evolve into something I would get for my kids.

Reactions: Daekwan
I’m VERY late to this thread, but yes I obviously agree that the MY is more efficient than the MME. The two primary reasons are that it is several hundred pounds lighter, and has less drag. Both come at a cost. The weight savings result in a noisier ride. The better aero results in a Prius-like wedge with a stubby little front hood and just generally pedestrian, unappealing design.

But it is also worth noting that “efficiency” is irrelevant from both a range and cost perspective. Because of the MME’s larger battery pack, it achieves slightly better range.

As for cost savings, my math added up to about $150-$200 in electricity savings per year. (This is obviously dependent on miles driven and prices you are paying for electric). The current price premium for a MYLR over a MME 4X STARTS at $4,500 and goes up from there depending upon paint choices. So you’d have to drive the car for over TWENTY YEARS to cover that price premium with electricity savings.

Now if higher efficiency matters to you because you think you’re “saving the planet” by buying a luxury EV (packed with lithium and powered at least partially by coal), bully for you.

I’m VERY late to this thread, but yes I obviously agree that the MY is more efficient than the MME. The two primary reasons are that it is several hundred pounds lighter, and has less drag. Both come at a cost. The weight savings result in a noisier ride. The better aero results in a Prius-like wedge with a stubby little front hood and just generally pedestrian, unappealing design.

But it is also worth noting that “efficiency” is irrelevant from both a range and cost perspective. Because of the MME’s larger battery pack, it achieves slightly better range.

As for cost savings, my math added up to about $150-$200 in electricity savings per year. (This is obviously dependent on miles driven and prices you are paying for electric). The current price premium for a MYLR over a MME 4X STARTS at $4,500 and goes up from there depending upon paint choices. So you’d have to drive the car for over TWENTY YEARS to cover that price premium with electricity savings.

Now if higher efficiency matters to you because you think you’re “saving the planet” by buying a luxury EV (packed with lithium and powered at least partially by coal), bully for you.
It depends where you live. CA's power is mostly solar or renewable already. During the hours I charge its entirely renewable energy.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung

Your screen name leads me to believe you own the MME? Or a Tesla? Or neither and just like discussing EV's? Wondering where you're coming from here....

Yup.

- Smaller battery = less weight = cheaper to manufacture
- Ride the charging curve so the battery will take the highest rate for a unit of time
- Tesla has been around for a while so the MY's battery pack degradation is more-or-less known

Efficiency is also important because it will take longer to charge the battery on a road trip to go the same distance compared to a more efficient ev.

Reactions: Big Earl
OTOH, Tesla's have pretty high real world highway consumption compared to their ratings. It remains to be seen how the real-world (70+) consumption compares.
I keep hearing this, but then I keep getting 279whr/mile on every road trip I take in my MY LR. And I've taken 6 in the last 6 months. Plus several shorter day trips of 120+ miles and many days just running around town in city conditions most all da. I consistently average very nearly to what the EPA rated whr/mile is and get pretty much exactly the quoted range. And this is not by being a slow driver. I routinely drive 5mph over the limit.

I keep hearing this, but then I keep getting 279whr/mile on every road trip I take in my MY LR. And I've taken 6 in the last 6 months. Plus several shorter day trips of 120+ miles and many days just running around town in city conditions most all da. I consistently average very nearly to what the EPA rated whr/mile is and get pretty much exactly the quoted range. And this is not by being a slow driver. I routinely drive 5mph over the limit.
That's fair, and I get similar numbers at lower speeds off the highway. On the highway, my real world range is closer to 250, but that's 75+ mph.

Anyway, it is no longer theoretical as the Mach-E does have both lower efficiency and a little longer range thanks to its big battery. Where it loses is that it is also heavy and the slower charging negates the range advantage on longer trips.