Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford requiring owners of F-150 Lightnings to not sell them in first year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scalpers stay in business because they make life easier for businesses.

Take your typical music concert. (I worked in this business) Depending on the performance contract, a box office manager communicates with the promoter and gm and they figure out the prices, seat layout, and revenue. When it goes on sale, the big name 'scalpers' will have their computers buy up vast swaths of seats. People logging in do get some. A smart box office manager also knows to hold seats aside for VIP, family, etc and also for the people waiting in line on sale day. Some box office managers will purposely hold back sections, let the computers buy up the seats that day, and then quietly put the rest out for sale.

The building or the tour don't really care how they go. There is a convenience in knowing 'all' the tickets are gone within an hour and their money is in the bank. Some acts obviously get bent out of shape about fans having to pay more, some shows like Disney want more control... so tickets could be your credit card that you directly paid with. What they find with this control is that not as many tickets sell, and certainly not as quickly.

The ticket resellers provide free advertising and take on the risk.
Yeah, Hong Kong is experimenting with measures (like name registration) to prevent scalping and the response is a mixed bag. The venues are skeptical as it might reduce demand. The performers and fans usually are supportive. Ticket holding for VIPs and guests as you describe was also an issue raised. Maybe a hybrid system will work where a portion uses control measures would work out.

Hong Kong boy band concert tickets to require real-name registration to combat ticket scalping - Hong Kong Free Press HKFP

Yeah, Hong Kong is experimenting with measures (like name registration) to prevent scalping and the response is a mixed bag. The venues are skeptical as it might reduce demand. The performers and fans usually are supportive. Ticket holding for VIPs and guests as you describe was also an issue raised. Maybe a hybrid system will work where a portion uses control measures would work out.

Hong Kong boy band concert tickets to require real-name registration to combat ticket scalping - Hong Kong Free Press HKFP
If a band is popular enough, it's not a problem, but they need to work out the variables. Adults buy tickets and drop the kids and friends off at the show. People buy tickets and given them to friends. Radio stations give them away... It's not convenient. If this is the most popular boy band in HK then those tickets get real political. I think the most political tickets ive ever seen were for hannah montana. Every important person in town wanted to get their kids in that.

Some shows want to know who bought the tickets and is sitting in every seat... like the long island medium. you can figure out why. That was an eye opening experience lol

This will be interesting, I got an email from Ford saying my lightening order is to be built Aug 1 and gave me a VIN assigned. Unfortunately they had previously told me all 22 production was full and please don’t cancel your order, then 2 weeks later took my configuration and deposit with no delivery estimate. I had ordered another truck after the 22 run is full email, which was delivered in May. I will likely buy the lightening and drive it for a bit and see which truck I like better. I anticipate it being the lightening, but I will not be signing a contract that says I am stuck with it. Maybe I’ll offer the dealer if they give me ten grand I’ll suddenly have problems and not be able to complete the transaction.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Got a text from my local dealer saying they dropped $25k off of their market adjustment price. It's now only $125k for a $92k MSRP Platinum. Replied will not pay a penny over MSRP.

Wonder how long they'll sit on this. I think the Lightning market is changing. Starting to see more on Craig's list. Still crazy pricing.

Got a text from my local dealer saying they dropped $25k off of their market adjustment price. It's now only $125k for a $92k MSRP Platinum. Replied will not pay a penny over MSRP.

Wonder how long they'll sit on this. I think the Lightning market is changing. Starting to see more on Craig's list. Still crazy pricing.
More people need to do this; “I’ll buy your vehicle when you want to sell for MSRP.” After all, you don’t need to buy a new vehicle, but they sure need to sell it.

Ferrari are pros at this......
It takes forever to get on the "you can order and receive a new car" list. You normally have to buy some used stuff from the dealer over time before they will give you new production allocation.
You have to trade the new car you bought back into that dealer (at which point the dealer marks it way up). Ferrari mandates MSRP on new car sales but has zero control once the car is used. If you do not go back through the dealer, you will not get new car allocation in the future.

When the market is soft, F dealers are more compliant. When it is firm, it is full on Mafia.

I was on the 8 cylinder train for twenty years moving from coupe to spider to next model coupe. The cars nearly paid for themselves going back through the dealer. Not a bad gig if you want to drive FCars but you have to put up with Ferrari.