Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fore link suspension failure while driving on the freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 75 2017 with only 9500 miles. I got it in Mar of 2017 so it hasn't even been 2 years.

I was driving on the freeway in the fast lane and about to get into the carpool lane when traffic suddenly came to a halt. I slammed on my brakes and then started to drive again but realized I couldn't. The car shook and there was a loud screeching/grinding sound. Luckily a motorcycle cop happened to come by and called highway patrol and the freeway tow truck so help get me out of the fast lane and across 3 lanes to the right shoulder. Then, I called Tesla roadside to get towed into the dealership.

The service guy did not seem surprised and diagnosed the problem right away on seeing the car. The left front fore link in the suspension broke. If this was a known issue, I'm wondering why there hasn't been a recall. What if I was driving with my 2 kids? The car is still in the shop now being repaired. Even after the repair, is it safe to be driving a Tesla? Would you guys chance it with your kids in the car and risk that happening on the freeway? Please respond with your opinion. Debating whether to sell my car right now. I don't know if this was a faulty part or faulty design and I see there have been other postings on this catastrophic mechanical failure.

Attached is a picture of the off centered wheel and damaged tire

Attachments

• 20190124_134159.jpg
    20190124_134159.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 843
  • 20190124_141513.jpg
    20190124_141513.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 20190124_141513.jpg
    20190124_141513.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 306
What if I was driving with my 2 kids?

It would still be one of the safest car around, with crazy performance that produces smiles every day, and so is good for heart and health.

On the other side, as a non-dramatic father of 3+6 year old boys:
"It would not have happened with the kids on board, laws of physics change as hysterical parents transport their spawn, the gross human overpopulation proves that"

Such faults never happen suddenly, the part could have been damaged earlier, or could be caught in an routine inspection.

I just filed a complaint with the The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on this very issue. My fore link failed while backing out of my driveway. There was never any impact or pothole that could have caused it. Tesla clearly had a manufacturing problem and these parts are defective on certain model and year cars (mine is a 2016 Model S). I have emailed Tesla to pay the costs I incurred to repair (almost $2k). I sincerely hope they do the right thing. Fortunately, no one was hurt as I was only going 2 MPH. It could have been much worse.

I just filed a complaint with the The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on this very issue. My fore link failed while backing out of my driveway. There was never any impact or pothole that could have caused it. Tesla clearly had a manufacturing problem and these parts are defective on certain model and year cars (mine is a 2016 Model S). I have emailed Tesla to pay the costs I incurred to repair (almost $2k). I sincerely hope they do the right thing. Fortunately, no one was hurt as I was only going 2 MPH. It could have been much worse.
I had the same issue and they also refused to pay (cost me $1,700 to fix). Filed a complaint with NHTSA. More people need to file complaints and NHTSA may take some action.

Reactions: markc2 and Welbach1
I own a 2015 Model S - 85D / Mileage 42967 that I bought in September 2015. In early July 2021, I had just arrived home from visiting relatives in IL. Later in the day, I was going out to the grocery store and backing the car out of the garage. As I turned the steering wheel to the left, I heard this squeaky/grinding noise at the front driver-side of the tire area. As I went forward to straighten the car in the driveway, I heard the noise a second time and felt the tire rubbing into the well area surrounding the tire. I decided not to drive the vehicle and called a friend to come over and examine my tire since he also owns a Tesla.

The next day I called Tesla Service department and was told I may need a wheel alignment and they have heard of this before. I immediately made an appointment that was three weeks out on 8/2/2021. I did not feel comfortable driving the Tesla. Luckily, I have a second vehicle or I would have had to rent a car. I had the Tesla towed to the Tesla repair shop on 8/1/2021. I received a call about the repair and was informed the Link Fore Suspension had broke. That was shocking news to hear!! What if it had broken while I was driving on the highway coming from IL?

I immediately went online to search the issue and found this ARTICLE from Google Search - Tesla in February 2017 issued a service bulletin describing a manufacturing condition that may result in front suspension fore link failures, NHTSA said. ... NHTSA said 32 complaints involved failures that occurred during low-speed parking maneuvers, while 11 occurred while driving. Nov 27, 2020

I notified the Tesla Repair Service Technician about this article and read it to him. I asked if Tesla would cover the cost of my repair since this was the exact issue with vehicle. They stated no and I had to pay for the repair and the towing cost. I plan to put my compliant with NHTSA and write a letter to Tesla to ask for repair and tow reimbursement. It is disheartening to me that as a dedicated Tesla owner, nothing was ever disclosed through a letter to informed the Tesla customers about this suspension problem. I am fearful now of the safety of driving my Tesla should this or another problem happen and not informed. I do like my Tesla, but honestly right now, do not think I will buy another one. I thought about getting an SUV, but do not feel comfortable given the way this Suspension problem is being handled. With Thanks HW

I own a 2015 Model S - 85D / Mileage 42967 that I bought in September 2015. In early July 2021, I had just arrived home from visiting relatives in IL. Later in the day, I was going out to the grocery store and backing the car out of the garage. As I turned the steering wheel to the left, I heard this squeaky/grinding noise at the front driver-side of the tire area. As I went forward to straighten the car in the driveway, I heard the noise a second time and felt the tire rubbing into the well area surrounding the tire. I decided not to drive the vehicle and called a friend to come over and examine my tire since he also owns a Tesla.

The next day I called Tesla Service department and was told I may need a wheel alignment and they have heard of this before. I immediately made an appointment that was three weeks out on 8/2/2021. I did not feel comfortable driving the Tesla. Luckily, I have a second vehicle or I would have had to rent a car. I had the Tesla towed to the Tesla repair shop on 8/1/2021. I received a call about the repair and was informed the Link Fore Suspension had broke. That was shocking news to hear!! What if it had broken while I was driving on the highway coming from IL?

I immediately went online to search the issue and found this ARTICLE from Google Search - Tesla in February 2017 issued a service bulletin describing a manufacturing condition that may result in front suspension fore link failures, NHTSA said. ... NHTSA said 32 complaints involved failures that occurred during low-speed parking maneuvers, while 11 occurred while driving. Nov 27, 2020

I notified the Tesla Repair Service Technician about this article and read it to him. I asked if Tesla would cover the cost of my repair since this was the exact issue with vehicle. They stated no and I had to pay for the repair and the towing cost. I plan to put my compliant with NHTSA and write a letter to Tesla to ask for repair and tow reimbursement. It is disheartening to me that as a dedicated Tesla owner, nothing was ever disclosed through a letter to informed the Tesla customers about this suspension problem. I am fearful now of the safety of driving my Tesla should this or another problem happen and not informed. I do like my Tesla, but honestly right now, do not think I will buy another one. I thought about getting an SUV, but do not feel comfortable given the way this Suspension problem is being handled. With Thanks HW
IMO Tesla is very fortunate these failures are occurring during low-speed driving and/or backing out of driveways and no one has been seriously injured or killed. Because they're really behaving like an ostrich on this one. They recalled cars in China for this defect (probably far fewer sold there than in the USA with this defect.)

I think this is due to suspension design, that during straight, forward motion the part is in compression and only is in tension (when it fails) during sharp turns and in reverse, both of which are generally done at low speed. So they probably think the part will never fail at highway speeds.

What will kill someone is the part breaking 99% of the way through but not totally failing, and an emergency lane change at 70+ MPH shortly after, causing catastrophic suspension failure and loss of vehicle control.

Would defective front left/right lower fore links cause sounds similar to the dreaded shudder during acceleration? I finally brought my car in thinking it was the usual shudder problem (after just leaving it as is for a long time), and Tesla is saying that the shudder noise is from defective lower fore links. Not sure how much to believe them. I even had an alignment done about a month ago and everything was dialed in.

Would defective front left/right lower fore links cause sounds similar to the dreaded shudder during acceleration? I finally brought my car in thinking it was the usual shudder problem (after just leaving it as is for a long time), and Tesla is saying that the shudder noise is from defective lower fore links. Not sure how much to believe them. I even had an alignment done about a month ago and everything was dialed in.

Hmm. I don't think it'll be exactly the same sound. This should me more of a "thunk" when power is applied and when you let off. I think, anyway.

I asked a service tech about the fore arm failure a few months ago and he downplayed it quite a bit - blamed it on people hitting pot holes and curbs and whatnot.

I do have spare Beck & Arnley fore arms that I bought out of precaution.....but when the tech downplayed the severity of the issue, I just kept them in the box.

I have to get an alignment this afternoon, maybe it's time to toss those on.....but of course the downside is that if I put on aftermarket suspension components, Tesla won't touch the front half of the car.

Last edited:
I’m selling some Tesla front suspension pieces if anyone wants to replace them as PM.

(front lower control arms - fore links) and
upper front control arms.

Would you sell just the uppers? Or only as a full set?
I’m selling some Tesla front suspension pieces if anyone wants to replace them as PM.

(front lower control arms - fore links) and
upper front control arms.