Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgive my ignorance, but... I have a question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not new to tech devices, or even EVs, but I’m new to Teslas. I’ve got less than 1k on my car, owned it for about 2 weeks. AP and FSD, Most recent update. Love the car, but occasionally I’m no sure what it is doing, or why.

Twice tonight while driving on I5 using NOA the car immediately to my left decided he wanted to drive next to me. He wasn’t doing anything wrong per se, but I consider it poor driver skills, etiquette etc to begin to pass a car only to slow and drive “shoulder to shoulder”, if you get my gist.

Normally I accelerate/decelerate so the likelihood of an inattentive driver crossing into my lane is avoided. Today I let the car do the driving. My car did an admirable job of staying in the center of the lane. I kept my hands very lightly on the wheel in case the dude next to or my car lost focus.

Eventually the car next to me turned red on the center screen. A message popped up on the screen, but honestly the writing is often too small, especially if the screen brightness is dimmed way down.

The car to my left might have been inordinately close to me. I think I had a car on my right also. I was passing the car on my right, the car on my left was just driving along my side.

I ended up accelerating away from the two cars.

this happened twice, but different cars, location on the freeway. Always on NOA.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
NoA's lane changing logic isn't really mature yet. It knows when it needs to be in a lane for an interchange, and it does okay on mostly empty roads, but it often makes odd choices in moderate or heavy traffic.

Having said that, it mostly sounds like you're the victim of some social drivers. They're the folks who annoy me most on the road. I call them social drivers because they like to drive near other cars. They drive slower until someone gets up near them, and then speed up to stay near them. They especially like to hang out near the blind spots.

I think some of them are doing it because they can watch the other car out of the corner of their eye while they mess with their phones, but that's just a guess. I can tell you that they are ~1/4 of the cars on the road - and that they don't react to a car on AP behind them unless you come all the way up to 1 following distance; otherwise you're far enough back they'll just hang out beside the other car that's in the slow lane.

My guess is that NoA wanted to change lane but there is a car there so it shows it red. It will be the same if you see a car next to you and you signal to change lane. If the car in front of you is slower than the max limit you set, NoA will want to change lane. Also there are some lanes that NoA does not like to stay in.. like the right most lane or the left most lane. If there are 3 or more lanes, it will try to stay in the middle lanes unless it is close to an interchange it needs to take.

My guess is that NoA wanted to change lane but there is a car there so it shows it red. It will be the same if you see a car next to you and you signal to change lane. If the car in front of you is slower than the max limit you set, NoA will want to change lane. Also there are some lanes that NoA does not like to stay in.. like the right most lane or the left most lane. If there are 3 or more lanes, it will try to stay in the middle lanes unless it is close to an interchange it needs to take.
Sounds exactly correct. I was in the far left. Stuck behind a slower car. Guy to my left was in HOV lane. I Rembrandt turn signal was on an I thought I must have inadvertently turned it, although I’ve never done that. Then I thought car was wanting to change lanes to pass slower driver. But thought car was supposed to know that lane is HOV and I was by myself.

Sometimes, when a car is driving right next to you, your repeater camera can’t identify or locates it to be closer to the car than it actually is (depending on how much of the car it catches in its view. This may turn the car red because the software thinks you’re going to run into each other.

I’m not new to tech devices, or even EVs, but I’m new to Teslas. I’ve got less than 1k on my car, owned it for about 2 weeks. AP and FSD, Most recent update. Love the car, but occasionally I’m no sure what it is doing, or why.

Eventually the car next to me turned red on the center screen. A message popped up on the screen, but honestly the writing is often too small, especially if the screen brightness is dimmed way down.
I suspect that you were coming up to a car in front of you and the car decided it needed to get to another lane to pass. It saw the adjacent car (in red) and had to wait until it could change lanes.