Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formatting your card for Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a very easy way to do this.
There is a FREE program called Partition Wizard which you can download and it will make the partitions and format them etc. etc. all from within Windows 10 and it's very easy to use.

I found this today because after following the instructions for formatting cards ( which worked fine when I used them before ) I couldn't get windows 10 to format them in anything but exFat32 or NTFS.

I don't know if it's because I got some updates yesterday to Windows or what.

But I remembered I used to have Partition Magician but couldn't find my serial numbers so I asked on redditt and some kind soul told me about this program.

It is excellent and FREE.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
There is a very easy way to do this.
There is a FREE program called Partition Wizard which you can download and it will make the partitions and format them etc. etc. all from within Windows 10 and it's very easy to use.

I found this today because after following the instructions for formatting cards ( which worked fine when I used them before ) I couldn't get windows 10 to format them in anything but exFat32 or NTFS.

It is excellent and FREE.
Yea, I have used Partition Wizard, it's nice, BUT most other features require a license. So not completely free for everything. I have also had no problem using Win 10 to format the USB.

You have a couple of options with formatting to FAT32 in Windows. You can run and format the drive using powershell. Depending on how large the drive is this can take quite awhile. You can also us e a 3rd party partition tool to format it to FAT32.

On Windows you can not just run FORMAT because if the the drive is over 32GB the only option will be exFAT32. And, of course exFAT32 is not supported by Tesla.

So when we talk partitions here are we really referring to formatting the drive in FAT32 and then creating folders on the hard drive (one for music and one for teslacam) or actually partitioning the drive into (effectively) 2 or 3 accessible drives, kinda like on a home PC where if you partition your HDD or SSD you end up with a drive C: and D:.

So when we talk partitions here are we really referring to formatting the drive in FAT32 and then creating folders on the hard drive (one for music and one for teslacam) or actually partitioning the drive into (effectively) 2 or 3 accessible drives, kinda like on a home PC where if you partition your HDD or SSD you end up with a drive C: and D:.
Both. :D

Most folks are just reformatting, but a few are creating two partitions, one for TeslaCam and one for music. Personally, I'd rather have two separate devices.

You have a couple of options with formatting to FAT32 in Windows. You can run and format the drive using powershell. Depending on how large the drive is this can take quite awhile. You can also us e a 3rd party partition tool to format it to FAT32.

On Windows you can not just run FORMAT because if the the drive is over 32GB the only option will be exFAT32. And, of course exFAT32 is not supported by Tesla.
===========
Well there is the problem I ran into.

When I formatted a 16 GB partition everything worked as advertised.
But the other day I reformatted and made a 100 GB partition so Windows wouldn't make it FAT32 but Partition Wizard did with no complaint.