TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Former EV1 owner from Central Arizona

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jsmartinson, Jul 21, 2013.

1. jsmartinson

jsmartinson Member

:scared:So good to be back behind the wheel of an EV. Of course, my red Model S P85 is far beyond what I expected to follow in the footsteps of the EV1 I drove for 3 years.

The Tesla Model S is perfect car for our family of four. We will take our first long distance ride in early August.

Looking forward to checking out the range after a full car, 120 miles distance, 4,700 ft of hill climbing, highway speeds, and 100º+ temperatures. The true test.:scared:

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum! Your 'true test' will be a piece of cake. Unless you have to return without charging...:wink::biggrin:

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Welcome!

Let's see: subtract 47 miles for elevation gain (is it all gain - you don't come back down?), 26% if you mean 75mph for "highway speeds", and 7% for 100 degrees (I got the numbers from HERE). Assuming no rain or wind, I'd guess you'll arrive with about 10 miles left if you leave with a full 265-mile range charge. You will probably want to either go slower than 75, or find a possible place to charge about 3/4 of the way there just in case.

4. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I'm in southern AZ and also leased an EV1. Biggest "problem" was that we couldn't get our family of 4 in there. It's not a problem now with the Model S, but our kids are grown and no longer at home (most of the time).

I travel to Pinetop several times a month which is a 200 mile one way trip with a 4000ft elevation gain. I charge up to 265 miles and have about 35-40 miles left when I get there with a average speed of 55mph.

5. jsmartinson

jsmartinson Member

UPDATE: So I d
    rove my Tesla Model S 85 from our home in PV to our cabin in the Prescott National Forest yesterday with 2 tweens, overnight bags, and two cats. I-17 to Cordes Junction, then 69 to Prescott and beyond. Kept speed at posted limit on range mode. The trip was 114.2 miles. The car used just a bit less than half of the battery capacity at 42.1 KWh. Net change in altitude about 4,500 feet up came in at an average of 368 Wh/mi. Heading back tomorrow where I am sure I will do better. What a thrill it is to drive this car!