Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former Tesla Referral program question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the Tesla referral program was discontinued about a year ago, I did make a referral to a person ordering a Model Y LR in July 2021.
That person waited several months and her delivery date got pushed out farther and farther and she eventually got an inventory car late last year.
Neither she nor myself got the referral miles for her purchase. Is this to be expected or should I try to claim those miles? I mean, I actually did give the referral and she did buy a Tesla vehicle but as the vehicle was not the one she ordered, neither of us got the miles.

I don't know but there are factors to consider:

1) I can't remember whether it covers "New Inventory" or not.
2) If it does, the buyer got a different order with a different order date after 7/2021.
She got a new inventory car with different color configuration than the original order. She likely just clicked on BUY NOW on an inventory car and did not take delivery of the one ordered.

tbh the referral program was more of a red herring than a valuable gift

A bit like my Aviator credit card typing to get me to sign up to get miles when I go dining. I'd have to be the size of a house for the miles to have any meaning

I did the maths once and IIRC it came out to about $100 per referral - you should be able to figure it out

having said that, I'd still be hacked off if I didn't get it and was supposed to have got it

A bit like my Aviator credit card typing to get me to sign up to get miles when I go dining. I'd have to be the size of a house for the miles to have any meaning

I did the maths once and IIRC it came out to about $100 per referral - you should be able to figure it out

having said that, I'd still be hacked off if I didn't get it and was supposed to have got it
true.. not worth a lot but it still has some value..especially now at the increased supercharger rates.. It's 43 cents around here already while Electrify America is at .31 cents with the $4/month plan...

You must not have been around for earlier iterations of the referral program, where people got wheels, luggage, and I forgot what else. Some people supposedly got enough referrals for a free Roadster, who knows if they'll ever get to collect on this.

Bruce.

I’m trying to figure this out as well. I referred a friend who placed an order on August 31, 2021. After nearly a year of waiting he got his car last Friday. He got 1500km free Supercharging as expected, but I got none.

I tried to email [email protected], but got an auto response saying the address is no longer monitored. Not sure where else I could turn to get my free charging at this point.

I’m trying to figure this out as well. I referred a friend who placed an order on August 31, 2021. After nearly a year of waiting he got his car last Friday. He got 1500km free Supercharging as expected, but I got none.

I tried to email [email protected], but got an auto response saying the address is no longer monitored. Not sure where else I could turn to get my free charging at this point.
I have the answer to this. My cousin ordered a model S in May of 2021 giving my referral code. He took delivery in January of 2022. He got his free supercharging but I never got mine. His local office insisted that this was not possible, but my cousin would have to return to the Tesla office where he actually placed the order to get it resolved. He tried to resolve this by phone calls and emails until they blocked him. As luck would have it, we were both back at that Tesla office in September. The very empathetic employee who helped us verified all of our information and called his supervisor for advice. It turns out that since more than 6 months had passed from the order date to the delivery date, my supercharger award had expired, even though awards are not granted until delivery. I can't say that I understand or like the resolution, but I appreciate the mastery of how they handle situations like this. Keep the decision makers hidden behind layers of customer-facing employees who deliver the bad news and take all the heat. That's something that will need to change when Tesla actually has to compete.