TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Forward - Reverse

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by culverwood, Apr 3, 2017.

1. culverwood

culverwood Member

As a new S owner does anyone else fine the forward and reverse positions on the stick counter intuitive. No doubt i will get used to it in time but I keep choosing the wrong one at the moment.

• Like x 1
  2. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Definitely. I park facing a wall and always have to carefully think twice before setting off :eek:

That said, when manoeuvring I find it helpful that below about 5MPH (might be a bit more) I can flick it between the two and use accelerator to "reverse" the motor and change direction.

3. gidso

gidso Member

D = Down... D = Drive...

4. Haxster

Haxster Member

Yes!

Counter intuitive on the Yankee version too.

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Back Up

Go Down :D

• Funny x 1
  6. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Seems consistent with all prior shift-on-the-column automatic cars I have driven before. Anyone ever seen it the other way on a car before?

7. WannabeOwner

Its the same as I remember from all the cars I've hired on trips to USA ... but coming from Stick Shift it seems the wrong way round to me.

8. David29

David29 Active Member

Well, I have not had trouble with it, but I see what the OP means. In the case of shift levers with PRNDL, one is normally shifting from P to start out, so all the gears (including R) are downward. So maybe pressing down for D should be intuitive for everyone, but possibly not R -- at least not from Park. But yes, once you are in D, then it is up for R, and from R it is down to D, so in that sense the Tesla/Mercedes arrangement is consistent.

9. cheshire cat

cheshire cat Member

10. Sound

Sound Member

I have no problem with the forward-reverse thing but it does require a 'stop and think' moment in tight spaces. A far worse problem for me is the use of the right stalk button as the 'park' brake. Coming from a Landrover Discovery, this where I would instinctively go for the screen wash! Not good! I've managed to avoid making this mistake so far but what would happen if I pressed the park brake while travelling at speed?

11. WannabeOwner

Pretty sure the PARK option is benign at speed (I think, if you do want to slow down by that means, its a push-and-hold operation)

I seem to have stopped doing it now, but I was in NEUTRAL a lot when it was raining when Ii first got the vehicle!

12. David29

David29 Active Member

Of course, this sort of "control confusion" is not unique to Tesla. Instead, it occurs whenever a driver switches from one vehicle to another, if those two vehicles have different control set-ups. So I would not criticize Tesla any more than Toyota or Land Rover or any other arbitrarily chosen company.
    In my own case, I rather like the Tesla set-up. But I am biased because I came from driving Mercedes Benzes, and Tesla uses the same set-up. The only change for me was the three-position "gear shift" lever on the steering column in place of my last car's PRNDL on the console.

13. culverwood

culverwood Member

I am glad to see I am not alone.

Short story: the second day I had the car I was reversing at home and the camera looks down; now I have a tree with an overhanging branch, which I did not see on the screen or mirror, and hit at a very slow speed, My damage was then increased as I reacted by putting the car into reverse again instead of forward and hitting it harder. Surface ripples but on a day old car :oops:

14. stigmeister

stigmeister Member

Not quite the same, but on my previous car the right hand 'stick' was for wipers and a swipe down did a quick wipe of the screen, the same as pressing the end of the left 'stick/stalk' on the Tesla.

Suffice to say I've been driving a few times, had some slight drizzle and put myself into Neutral... quick reactions have saved the day now a few times. Just takes time to adjust, I've done it less and less over the month I've had the car...