Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't have choice if you are commercial long haul driver, you can only drive so many hours a day legally
I know they transport their cars to Canada by rail, so I would think the cars going to the north and eastern states would be the same way. I don’t see them loading by rail behind the plant. Anyone know where they load the trains? This would cut back on tne number of trucks needed to haul the cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I know they transport their cars to Canada by rail, so I would think the cars going to the north and eastern states would be the same way. I don’t see them loading by rail behind the plant. Anyone know where they load the trains? This would cut back on tne number of trucks needed to haul the cars.
Richmond.

upload_2018-4-5_17-8-32.png

I can think of a few reasons the rail spur may have been torn out. The railroad may have wanted to charge a hefty premium to pull into the plant or possibly the spur didn't meet current standards and needed to be rebuilt.

Many of those trucks have sleepers, so they are almost certainly western US deliveries that require an overnight drive. But some of those trucks may just be ferrying cars to Richmond. I suspect the Dodge Ram towing a few cars at a time is ferrying cars to the Bay Area stores.

I would think getting the rail spur rebuilt and in operation would be a priority. It would not only save a lot of time and effort shipping out cars from Fremont, but it would make it cheaper and easier to ship parts and sub-assemblies in. They will be reaching a point in the near future when they can fill 1-2 rail cars a week with new battery packs from the Gigafactory.

I can think of a few reasons the rail spur may have been torn out. The railroad may have wanted to charge a hefty premium to pull into the plant or possibly the spur didn't meet current standards and needed to be rebuilt.

Many of those trucks have sleepers, so they are almost certainly western US deliveries that require an overnight drive. But some of those trucks may just be ferrying cars to Richmond. I suspect the Dodge Ram towing a few cars at a time is ferrying cars to the Bay Area stores.

I would think getting the rail spur rebuilt and in operation would be a priority. It would not only save a lot of time and effort shipping out cars from Fremont, but it would make it cheaper and easier to ship parts and sub-assemblies in. They will be reaching a point in the near future when they can fill 1-2 rail cars a week with new battery packs from the Gigafactory.

Boring?!

I suspect the Dodge Ram towing a few cars at a time is ferrying cars to the Bay Area stores.

The Dodge Ram with the 5th wheel trailer takes cars to the Fremont Delivery Center about a mile away from the factory. I believe all Bay Area deliveries now take place at the FDC, rather than at the stores like they used to. I know Sunnyvale no longer does deliveries and I saw a Dublin Tesla employee at the FDC at EOQ helping out with deliveries.